legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cinderella - Churchill Bromley#1
Posted: 12/23/08 at 2:49pm
Where to begin....?

I'll start with the good:

- The costumes were really good, obviously had a bit of money spent on them, and they were covered in jewels, glitter and ribbon, very traditional pantomime. Would've been nice to see a few more costume changed, but overal very nice.
- The set was OK. There was a lot of different set changes, done well, without big pauses, some pieces were very flimsy and looked like they were gonna fall over, but it was all covered in copious ammounts of glitter which made up for it, i've seen worse.
- Laura Hamilton as Cinderella. Reading the programme, she's a kids tv presenter apparently. Never seen her on anything, and apparently no formal training. Her voice was lovely to listen to, a very nice soft tone. Her act was average, but then Cinderella isn't one of the best written characters, and always comes across a bit wet. I liked her.
- Mark Evans as Prince Charming. Londons resident Troy Bolton (Hammersmith Apollo). Deffinitely outshone every other cast member by a mile. His voice was gorgeous, and he really did a good job with the character. He's racked up a few West End credits already, but hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more of him (plus he was incredibly nice looking Cinderella - Churchill Bromley )
- Kirk Barker as Dandini. Didn't really have much to do, but sung his Act2 solo quite well, and danced very nicely. His duet with Charming was very good, and he really acted well, getting quite a few laughs.

NOW on to the bad (there is quite a lot):

- Helen Lederer!!! Why oh why is this women allowed on a stage. I was really annoyed with her tbh. She obviosuly didn't want to be there. EVERY single one of her entrances was late. The piro would go and smoke would clear, and she would then walk on to stage, jsut about smiling. She mimed her song (badly - my 10y/o sister even asked why her mouth wasn't moving). The very short dance routine (all hands and claps) at the end, she couldn't be bothered with, barely staying in time, and then giving up halfway through. She really ruined it, and i dreaded everytime she walked on (late!). Bad FairyGodmother!
- Tucker as Buttons. Whoever he is, he really wasn't great. He tried, he just wasn't funny. He made no connection with the audience, and noone could care less whenever he walked on stage, and didn't notice he was there. He tried...he just wasn't sucessful, i always feel that if you get a bad Buttons, the whole production fails as a result.
- The adult ensemble. All either graduates or current students at Laine. They were appalling. The 3male dancers, couldn't dance to save their lives. They put no effort into the chroreography (which ill come onto in a minute), and just walked through it. I always usually look out for the dancers, but this lot were in no way going to distract me!
- The choreography! Eeesh, it was so predictable and corny, and so not different. A lot of pantomimes manage to dazzle you with big lifts and huge production numbers, but the choreographer (Debbie Fyffe) was obviously having an off month with this production. There was a lot of ballet sequences that were repeated throughout She stole and simplified a the whole final dance routine (We're All in This Together). Bad Bad Bad!
- The songs. We got You Can't Stop the Beat, We're All in This Together (HSM), I'm Not That Girl & Dancing Through Life (Wicked) and a Blues Brothers Medley, as well as other more forgetable songs. The one that stood out was Prince Charming's solo, which was the one from Hercules, sung wonderfully!
- The script, needs to be burnt, awful awful! Predictable packed full of Police Academy and 3men and a Baby jokes...not funny after the first 5 times!! Just not good!

Extra Bits:
- Steve Guttenburg, there to draw in crowds...he tried bless him, and looked like he was enjoying himself, which was good to see!
- Ugly Sisters David Langham and John , tried with bad jokes. They could've been great given a decent script. But they put in energy and effort.

Overall, just an average to bad Panto! It lacked energy and magic. There were a lot of very badly behaved children in the audience, probably because they were bored, there was nothing to entertain them, as i said no magic of spectacle.
I'd give it 3 Stars, one each for Cinderella, Prince and Dandini.
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cinderella - Churchill Bromley#2
Posted: 12/23/08 at 3:10pm
I take it Laine isn't one of your preferred colleges Sam!
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cinderella - Churchill Bromley#2
Posted: 12/23/08 at 3:12pm
It was a possibility, before i saw what they created...and it ain't pretty!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cinderella - Churchill Bromley#3
Posted: 12/24/08 at 9:14am
All the sets and costumes youll see in theatres such as Richmond, Bromley, Wimbledon etc will be all be fab and new as none of them are more than 3 or 4 years old yet. Step back stage at a Qudaos panto as I did in Cardiff the other day and all you'll see is masking tape and safety pins.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cinderella - Churchill Bromley#4
Posted: 12/24/08 at 8:46pm
I did say on another thread I live to close to Bromley for comfort....