Page: 1

Don John @ RSC

masque2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Don John @ RSC#1
Posted: 12/19/08 at 12:57pm
Has anybody on this board seen this yet? I am tempted to go see it after seeing the wonderful Brief Encounter. WOS has a pretty positive review, but just wondering if anybody else has had a chance to see it.
UKtheatrekid
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Don John @ RSC#2
Posted: 12/19/08 at 3:29pm
i saw it on wednesday, and i have to say i wasnt impressed,
yet annother end on production the the courtyards thrust stage,
if your sat on either side (as 70% of the audience is) then you miss half the show. that said alot of my co workers love it,
and kneehigh throw a jolly good press night bash!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Don John @ RSC#2
Posted: 12/19/08 at 11:28pm
The reviews coming in are not kind.
masque2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Don John @ RSC#3
Posted: 12/30/08 at 12:49pm
Well, I went to go see this last night. I liked it enough (not the best play I have seen by far), and my feelings about the show are a bit mixed. I loved the end of the first act (don't want to spoil too much for those who are planning to see it). I also enjoyed the poems that were interspersed throughout the action. There were some great choices of classic tunes that played in contrast to some of the scenes. I did not enjoy how disjointed the production felt. It is hard to describe, but certain scenes felt out of rhythm with the rest of the show, and some of the actors felt miscast in their roles.

Overall, the show had great moments that I enjoyed, it is just that those moments need stronger transitions between them.
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Don John @ RSC#4
Posted: 1/6/09 at 9:00am
I saw this last week and quite enjoyed it. It's nothing that hasn't been done before but that doesn't stop it being an entertaining couple of hours.

I thought there were a few stand out scenes-the end of the first act as noted, and some strong movement/dance/music combinations.

The set was interesting at first but the use of the container box as the set got repetative and slowed the pace too much at times.

After reading the programe at the interval and realizing that John was also Gregor in Metamorphasis at the Lyric a year or two back I couldn't get the image of him as a giant insect out of my head!! And also made me wish this production had allowed him to show off his physicality more.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
UKtheatrekid
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Don John @ RSC#5
Posted: 1/6/09 at 3:12pm
after an inspiring workshop with kneehigh & CSCAPE,
ive decided to give this a second chance,
and im seeing it again on thursday.
will let you know if i change my mind
x
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Don John @ RSC#6
Posted: 1/6/09 at 5:19pm
Such a shame its getting such a bad rap after the incredible success of 'Brief Encounter'.