'Cinderella' -Wimbledon Theatre, Wimbledon

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Cinderella' -Wimbledon Theatre, Wimbledon#1
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:48am
'Cinderella' -Wimbledon Theatre, Wimbledon

Firstly, I know that after seeing Hackneys 'Mother Goose' the other night that I will be wishing I saw that one last and maybe it will take the pain a way of all the others I'll see.
"Cinderella' at the Wimbledon Theatre is the complete opposite to Susie McKennas brilliant production at Hackney even tho in Wimbledon they are using her script from Hackney a few years ago.
The production is strictly by numbers and they just add up to a very loud and expensive looking panto. Theres just no heart there and the company just seem to walk the show. The stand out performance is from Joanna Page from TVs 'Gavin and Stacy' as Cinderella who is strong little actress with a passable sing voice. Her Prince Charming is Gareth Gates in his first stage role. as a panto prince he's passable but with a major west End musical role coming up in just 8 weeks he has a lot to learn from the schools of stage presence and charm!. If these two ever got married I know who would be wearing the trousers.
Most productions of 'Cinderella', or most pantos for that mater, work or fail on the role of the Dame. 'Cinderella' of course always offers a double dose with The Ugly Sisters. Wimbledon has Andrew Ryan and Graham Hoadley as Lav and Lou in some brilliantly camp and every growing costumes. There routines are pretty funny even tho much of it is reworked from the partnership of Nigel Ellacott and Peter Robins-the Queens of The Ugly Sisters in the UK- seen in Wimbledon on almost every other time 'Cinderella' plays there. At times it felt that they were almost afraid of their audience!
Alistair McGowan is just Alistair McGowan in his role as Baron Hardup- a thankless role whoever plays it.
The show loks very expensive and is incredible loud, sometimes preventing any lyrics to be heard at all.
As I said, its panto by numbers with no heart- Hackney is the plce to be for heart.
Now, Im bracing myself for a 45 year old 'Peter Pan' in Richmond tomorrow night.
At least at all these pantos if you're attention slips you have the wonderful auditoriums to take in.
'Second star to the right and straight on till Richmond'

Updated On: 12/26/08 at 05:48 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cinderella' -Wimbledon Theatre#2
Posted: 12/18/08 at 7:31am
Hmmm if you didnt like that, wait until you see the Southampton Cinderella!!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cinderella' -Wimbledon Theatre#2
Posted: 12/18/08 at 12:37pm
I'll be putting myself thru that one in january -I'm on a promise to Biggins! Don't ask!
It isn't selling anywhere near what they thought it would when they plowed all that money into him doing this 'new' show!
Rumor has it that next year its him and Cilla at either Liverpool or Birmingham!
Stage door adjustments needed for both those egos in one show!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cinderella' -Wimbledon Theatre#3
Posted: 12/19/08 at 4:22am
Its a big let down, it doesnt succeed as a panto and doesnt succeed as a musical, kinda falls between the two. The second half is better and more 'panto'. Biggins isnt the campest thing in it by a long way.

To me they cast it too old, and the 'names' in it are old names, when you compare to Barrowman in Birmingham, Gareth Gates/Joanna Page etc in Wimbledon and so on. It would have been better to have cheaper production values and cheaper tickets, its an expensive panto.

Some of the effects are good, but compared to the excellent pantos there of the 90s it falls way short.