Page: 1

Favourites.

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Favourites.#1
Posted: 12/13/08 at 7:39pm
My favorite theatre in London has to be the Prince Edward or Theatre Royal, however I am not impartial when it comes to the Palladium, oh yeah the Prince of Wales is also great, I do love the heritage of the Haymarket and so adore Her Majesty's across the way, I could not leave this without mentioning the Palace Theatre, but also adore the Dominion, however you cannot beat the Aldelphi, oh yeah I have to also mention the Cambridge, oh my god I cannot believe I haven't mentioned the Aldwych or Novello, both venues are just the best, but you cannot beat the Victoria Palace, but then again the Phoenix is great too. I have to give a special mention to the Playhouse, OMG I cannot believe I have not mentioned the Appollo Victoria which is fantastic. I cannot sign off without paying tribute to the Criterion or Duchess which are superb, also love the Noel Coward, but cannot top St Martins or Queens!!

Well I have told you my favorite London Theatre, what is yours?????
Acaila
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Favourites.#2
Posted: 12/13/08 at 7:59pm
Probably the Palace tbh. I find it quite atmospheric. I hate the Queens, it always makes me think of some provincial receiving house with the blue rinse brigade arriving for the matinee. Not massively keen on the Palladium, or Dominion. Theatre Royal is not too bad, but I seem to get lost in it v easily. One of my main considerations is always leg room - last time I saw Chicago on tour I had to move seats at the interval to an aisle seat because no matter how hard I tried, I was going to have massive grooves in my knees there was so little room!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favourites.#2
Posted: 12/14/08 at 8:56am
I have an unrivalled fondness for the Gielgud. I've seen some excellent productions there, I look forward to seeing many more, and the view from the cheap seats is pretty awesome. :3
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favourites.#3
Posted: 12/14/08 at 10:17am
The Apollo, Shafresbury Ave and The Shaftesbury Theatre.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favourites.#4
Posted: 12/14/08 at 12:14pm
I never thought much about the theatres themselves 'til I started posting on this site - what was on stage was important and I barely noticed the building.

I saw Piaf and Ivanov in the same day a few weeks ago and going from the Vaudeville, which is so shabby, to the Wyndhams, which is so immaculate provided quite a contrast.

And I'm not a fan of the Queens either, which also looked as if it needed some tender loving care the last time I was there.

For size I do like Drury Lane and am becoming a fan of the Coliseum. Small ones can be cute too: I like the Comedy for that reason.

But in terms of having it all under one roof with good public space, interesting shop and good food the National is probably my favourite.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favourites.#5
Posted: 12/14/08 at 12:36pm
I have never been into the Gielgud, but the name can be a put off, seeing Weez other threads, she is a lady of words, where I am a man of music, probably explains why I have never been there. I have not been to the Apollo too, probably for the same reason!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favourites.#6
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:23pm
Very fond of the Shaftesbury. The Fortune is the perfect fit for 'The Woman in Black' and was a lovely home for Double Double, Nunsense and Re-joyce!

The re-fit of the Novello is gorgeous.

Apollo did a lovely job of restoring the Lyceum, which is my favourite larger house. (Drury Lane gets a bit above itself sometimes)
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favourites.#7
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:35pm
I'm rather fond of the Dominion - the sight lines are amazing and because there's only one circle it's remarkably intimate despite its seating capacity.

For atmosphere, the Criterion is lovely, as is Drury Lane. Her Majesty's is also quite nice, very intimate, and perhaps the nicest of all the RUG venues.

Also quite fond of the auditorium in the New London (hideous foyer design aside.) The Hackney Empire is lovely, and while I hate the uncomfortable seats, I love the spaces at the Menier and the Union.

Venues to loathe? The New Wimbledon and Richmond for their piss poor acoustics (couldn't hear half of what Bonnie Langford was saying today and not just because of the kids) and I'm not fond of the Comedy for iffy sightlines and extensive quantity of restricted view seats. The Apollo Shaftesbury has rake issues, as (I believe) does the lyric.
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Favourites.#8
Posted: 12/15/08 at 3:23am
I'm a huge fan of the Vaudeville... it's like a posh retirement home. I also lap up a bit of the Novello.

As much as I like the decor, I'm not a fan of the Palace's layout, although I do feel a little bit like I'm Lucy Pevensie walking around the magician's house in Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The Palladium and Savoy are annoying too... just getting into the auditorium is like being on the Crystal f*cking Maze, except with no crystals or flying cash to make the experience more pleasurable.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favourites.#9
Posted: 12/15/08 at 5:11am
"just getting into the auditorium is like being on the Crystal f*cking Maze, except with no crystals or flying cash to make the experience more pleasurable. "

Ah, someone's tried to find the loos at the Novello.
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Favourites.#10
Posted: 12/15/08 at 10:44am
Tell me about it.

"Where are the gents?"
"Should ye venture up yonder stair walk ye five and twenty steps and turn ye about to face the milky moon and there thou shalt find the secret panel that may take thee to the oasis of thy urinary desires."
"Yeah, great."

I always try and go through the bar, always forgetting there's no door at the other end. I then have to pretend I'm looking for someone and have to wait another couple of minutes before I enter the loo because I worry people will think, 'Ha! That cretin wasn't looking for his friend, he was looking for the loo! He probably has no friends!'

What's really stupid is that right now I remember exactly where they are but next time I go there, I'll do my usual stroll around the bar before I remember. I'm the same at the Palace, actually. Usually end up back at Leicester Square tube station before I realise I've gone the wrong way.

At least getting from foyer to seat is easy at the Novello, and it is pretty.

Updated On: 12/15/08 at 10:44 AM
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Favourites.#11
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:39pm
The London Palladium is my ultimate favourite theatre. It's the most famous theatre in the world - and anyone who is anyone in entertainment and musical theatre has performed on the stage from The Beatles, to Elvis, to Judy Garland to Frank Sinatra.

Theatre Royal, Drury Lane is amazing... again, it has such an amazing history and the size of the stage and the house is just mindblowing - especially now Oliver! is there!

The Apollo Victoria Theatre has been brought back to life wonderfully well - with amazing sight lines for all.

The Dominion Theatre, whilst it has a bit of a dodgy facade (that's very similar to the Apollo Victoria Theatre) has a beautiful and HUGE auditorium.

The London Coliseum is gorgeous. Whilst the foyer and surrounding accommodation areas are modern, the auditorium has all the grandeur that one could ask for.

The Royal Opera House is very similar to the London Coliseum. Very modern (but with a stunningly beautiful atrium and private dining balcony for summer over looking the Covent Garden Piazza) but with a sumptuous auditorium.

The Lyceum Theatre is beautiful. It is a small shame that Disney have covered nearly every aspect of the frontage with Lion King logos - but, once again, the auditorium is beautiful.

It's a shame how ugly the theatres are on Broadway - from a facade point of view. The Gershwin looks like a parking lot - and they just lack the beauty that most London theatres have.

Theatres I don't like are the National, Barbican (modern concrete jungles) and The Donmar (good for those under 5ft5).
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favourites.#12
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:22pm
Erm Elvis never played in the UK
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Favourites.#13
Posted: 12/15/08 at 5:34pm
My favourite theatre is the Mayflower in Southampton, I have seen so many great shows there and even in the Balcony the view is great. I have never got lost looking for the loos or my seat either.

For London theatres I love the Palace Theatre, mainly for the outside of the building an how huge and magnificent it looks.
I really like Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, especially after going on the tour and seeing the oldest elements of the building and realising what a history the theatre has.
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Favourites.#14
Posted: 12/16/08 at 12:02pm
When it comes to absolute non-favourites (I realise this is technically off topic, but it's nearly home time and I fancy a bitch), I despise the New London. Oh my Lord, an escalator?! And those stairs down to the street exit that more than closely resemble the piss soaked, tramp strewn stairwells you find in multi-storey car parks... ugh. I don't like the Dominion either, simply because their function room is like a repulsive, scruffy WI hut or working man's club. And, oh my Lord, the Garrick!! The worst auditorium ever! At the Zorro press night, I was in the rear section of the stalls, right up against the wall. Honestly, I could hear the f*cking Northern line better than I I could hear the show.

Oh, and I completely forgot... I adore the Prince Edward. The theatre, that is.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favourites.#15
Posted: 12/16/08 at 12:11pm
The Shaftesbury Theatre
The Prince Edward
The Novello
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2