Page: 1

Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009

Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#1
Posted: 12/13/08 at 5:29pm
It was announced on the "Regard en coulisse" website that the French version of Mamma Mia! (totally in French) should open in 2009 at the Mogador Theatre (taking over "The Lion King").
It's a shame ! Why can't they performe it in English with subtitles (at least for the songs). They did it for the international tour and they do it for operas, so...
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#2
Posted: 12/13/08 at 5:39pm
Because all international productions of Mamma Mia (exception the tour) are done in the local language.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#2
Posted: 12/13/08 at 5:53pm
They are doing it in French because it is in France, a country famous for protecting their language (and rightly so).

An international tour is different as it (presumably) goes to more than one country and I don't think the cast could learn all the languages.

I saw Le Roi Lion and the Theatre Mogador is a lovely theatre.
I saw the film of hairspray and it was very odd with singing in English and speaking in French so I am glad they aren't just having the singing in English even.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#3
Posted: 12/13/08 at 5:54pm
In Germany when it came to the title of each song in all the musical numbers it was sung in English. E.g....
'German words, German words, Dancing Queen
German words, German words, German words'
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#4
Posted: 12/13/08 at 6:59pm
I know about the pretection of the French language but as for "Mamma Mia!" it's just nonesense for the songs are known in English by French people (would be the same if "Daddy Cool" came to Paris, hopefully it will not !). It worked with "Cabaret" and "Fame" (though the title song was not translated. But for "Grease" I was told they did not translated all the songs some are and some are not. I go to see it next week and I am forseeing to be very upset about it.

As for the the dialogues in French and songs in English that is a good compromise even though I hate it especially for musical movies "Hairspray", "Mamma Mia!", "Rent",...and so on and so forth...

I totally agree with you as well, the Mogador Theatre is a very nice place especially since they refurbished it before the Lion King came.

Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
Updated On: 12/13/08 at 06:59 PM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#5
Posted: 12/13/08 at 7:20pm
I was in Paris, to study another passion of mine, twice last year and kept my eye out for the Mogador Theatre, where abouts is it?

I have to say that when it comes to theatre in Paris, there is not much passion for it there, have to say we are very lucky to have a great London scene and touring companies!
Updated On: 12/14/08 at 07:20 PM
Acaila
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#6
Posted: 12/13/08 at 8:03pm
I've seen some of Mamma Mia with German lyrics on a certain website...it sounded quite amusing re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#7
Posted: 12/13/08 at 11:35pm
The Spanish production of the show that has played Barcelona and is now in Madrid is in Spanish!
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#8
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:13am
It is rue de Mogador which is not very far from the Garnier Opera House or the Galeries Lafayette (Paris 9th district)
Metro : Trinity or Chausee d'Antin !

I totally agree with you : though the plays in Paris are very good there are too few (good) musicals ! That's why when it comes to see musicals I prefer making it to London for a fortnight instead of staying in Paris 4 days. However I won't have the time to go to London before July now that I am a teacher so I'm going to see "On the Town" (Chatelet), "Je m'voyais déjà" (musical by Laurent Ruquier on Aznavour's songs - with Diane Tell)at the Gymnase Marie Bell theatre, "Grease" at the Comedia and maybe Inonesco's plays at La Huchette (playing for 51 years in the same theatre unlike the Mousetrap !) next week in Paris.
Stephany2 Profile PhotoStephany2 Profile Photo
Stephany2
Swing
Swing
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#9
Posted: 12/21/08 at 11:04am
It's good to finally see more musicals in France. 'Mamma Mia' was in Paris last summer as part of the international tour so it was a British cast. I'd be curious to see it in French.
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#10
Posted: 12/21/08 at 11:20am
"I know about the pretection of the French language but as for "Mamma Mia!" it's just nonesense for the songs are known in English by French people"

It has nothing to do with the protection of the French language.
Wherever you see it the whole show (except for the final usually) is always in the language of the country. Even in Sweden the show is in Swedish! I have seen non English productions of Mamma Mia! in Germany, in the Netherlands and in Spain and it never bothered me that the songs are not in English.
Updated On: 12/21/08 at 11:20 AM
mrcacou Profile Photomrcacou Profile Photo
mrcacou
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#11
Posted: 12/21/08 at 6:33pm
The big thing is that the show has to remain opened for at least two years and parisians are not alone in France. People from the all over the country want to see Abba stuff and adding text in French will help them to appreciate it even more. Cabaret in French was great, let's hope we get a great translation again.
Dear Nosferatu, maybe we should go there and discuss it, I am pretty sure you will love it in French. You can see a French version of Mamma Mia on the forbidden site which is very interesting. Even Mireille Mathieu's version of "The Winner takes it all" (bravo tu as gagné) was quite well translated.
In my heart, I found the answered dream, and in my soul I found the song, and in my friends I found the magic, the love, the moon up above- they were mine, all mine, all along..!
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#12
Posted: 12/23/08 at 5:54pm
Just back from Paris where I saw "Grease" half in French and half in English (as far as songs are concercerned !). Pleeeeaaaase, choose one or another language but not both at the same time. The real problem was also that for the English songs there were not subtitles available for the audience! and that's a shame !
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#13
Posted: 12/26/08 at 8:10pm
will probs come over to see that ! like a good musical in a forigen language
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Colle
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#14
Posted: 1/1/09 at 4:06pm
At least on song title will not have to be tranlated into French, "Voulez-Vous." Another thing that will be interesting is that the nationalities of some of the characters(Donna, Tanya, Rosie, and Sophie's possible fathers) have a good chance of being changed. I read an article in my U.S. tour brochure, how they did change some of the characters country of orgin, depending of what country Mamma Mia was playing in.
Salene Profile PhotoSalene Profile Photo
Salene
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#15
Posted: 1/1/09 at 6:53pm
Siobhan McCarthy said in an interview that Donna was originally Irish, because she is.

Bill was from Norway in the Stockholm production. They changed his name as well.
Winston3
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#16
Posted: 1/3/09 at 3:00am
I know that when the show opened on Broadway they changed one of the dads. I think it was Bill (or whoever the traveler writer is) in the London production was supposed to be from America. Because in Voulez-Vous when Sophie is talking to her potential fathers to try to figure out who is her father she is talking to him. On the cast recording he says " May I be dirty? I'm an American so it goes with the territory." I think that they were playing off of the sterotype that Americans are dirty and will just say anything etc. Whereas when the show moved to Broadway they changed the character from being an American to being from Australia and the line was changed to "May I be nosy? I'm a writer so it goes with the territory."
Goodbye Sister Disco
meg_giry Profile Photomeg_giry Profile Photo
meg_giry
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#18
Posted: 1/5/09 at 6:17am
I don't see the point of Nosferatu's concern. Mamma Mia! was done in so many countries and in local languages - just like in Dutch, Spanish, German, Swedish, Korean, Japanese... why not in French? I've seen some German productions and the translation was really nice instead of annoying. Just give it a try...
no pare, sigue sigue! - Dead men tell no tales...
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#19
Posted: 1/5/09 at 7:07pm
Do you speak or understand German fluently???
meg_giry Profile Photomeg_giry Profile Photo
meg_giry
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#20
Posted: 1/7/09 at 4:47am
@Nosferatu: Yeah, it's my native language..
no pare, sigue sigue! - Dead men tell no tales...
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Mamma Mia! to open in Paris in 2009#21
Posted: 1/7/09 at 4:06pm
OK! Es tut mir Leid ! Mea Maxima culpa...!