Page: 1

Kerry Ellis return to wicked london

webby5
Swing
Swing
Kerry Ellis return to wicked london#1
Posted: 12/4/08 at 4:57am
Just wanted to know if anyone has got any news on how she got on in her first performance back here? or if anyone has seen her yet?
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Ellis return to wicked london#2
Posted: 12/4/08 at 9:21am
Was there at her first peformance, along with 20 or so screaming fans who cheered and screamed at every possible moment, I have to say though, Kerry has learnt to act, I thought she did a REALLY good job and being on Broadway has made her improve her performance so much... but I still prefer Alexia Khadime!
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis return to wicked london#2
Posted: 12/4/08 at 11:11am
Is her voice still as strong? She didn't sound as full-on in the Broadway recordings compared to the good old West End days.

I'm happy she's back.

Seeing her after Christmas, looking forward to it a lot.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Ellis return to wicked london#3
Posted: 12/4/08 at 12:28pm
In all honesty, her voice was brilliant, but weaker, but it didnt help that she was trying to do the show with an American accent, which she was almost back to English at the end when her vocals were regaining strength, but overall, she gave a great performance! She just needs to sort out the accent!
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis return to wicked london#4
Posted: 12/4/08 at 4:05pm
I can imagine singing in an american accent would actually hold her back because its a lot more nasal and sounds like she's head singing, rather than when she opens her words up in the English accent...its more 'booming' shall we say haha.

I don't know if thats worded right, but it makes sense in my head.

By the time I see her I guess she'll be back into being English again and 'Defying Gravadee' will be gone!
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis return to wicked london#5
Posted: 12/5/08 at 6:43am
I saw Kerry last night and it was obviously a bad night for her. Her voice was weak, she constantly slipped in and out of a hideous mid-Atlantic accent (sometimes in one sentence) and made no attempt to act at all. If someone else was speaking, she just stood there... no reactions, no expression, nothing. It was painful to watch and I just wanted to shake her. TATaboo, I've also noticed her voice was weaker on Broadway recordings and she seems to have stopped holding notes on Defying Gravity (eg last night: '...ever gonna bring. Me. Down. Bring. Me. Down. (pause that seemed like about ten minutes) Aah.'). Even her No Good Deed was a laboured, bog standard, paint by numbers affair.

It seems Alexia Khadime has left bigger shoes to fill than anyone suspected, and especially after her insane powerhouse performance on Saturday night, Kerry really needs to up her game.
Updated On: 12/5/08 at 06:43 AM
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis return to wicked london#6
Posted: 12/5/08 at 10:17am
TATaboo <- I like it haha.

It saddens me that Kerry isn't putting her all into it. It's as if she's being told to hold back so she can keep a constant good standard for her very prolonged contract, i.e don't hold on notes longer than necessary, don't strain your voice trying to project your booming voice even more....that added to 'no riffing, stick to the book' attitude she has to deal with...you're left with the 'painting by numbers' performance you said.

It's such a shame, she has insane talent.

Maybe they're telling her to hold back in particular because of her Brian May Royal Variety Performance? If she doesn't put her voice to good use I may have to slap her.