Page: 1

January 4th??

boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
January 4th??#1
Posted: 11/23/08 at 12:37am
Ok. I'm new to the boards (this is my first post) and I've got a dilemma.

I'm coming to the UK for a GAP year next year (I'm from Sydney, Australia) and I have a free day between when I land in London and when I start my placement in Dorset. Sadly that day is January 4th, a Sunday. I've done a search for tickets on seetickets.com and WOS and the only shows I can find are Stomp, Edward Scissorhands, Thriller and The Lion King, all of which I've either seen (Lion King and Edward Scissorhands) or am not interested in (Thriller and Stomp). Do many shows announce different performance schedules for the holidays closer to Xmas/New Years, or am I stuck with Lion King again (for the third time)??

Also is there a day-of half-price ticket thingy in London, like TKTS in NYC or Halftix in Melbourne?? (For the free weekends I have every month and that I'll be coming up to London for a quick dose of musicals)
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: January 4th??#2
Posted: 11/23/08 at 4:30am
January 4th!! Thats my birthday :) hehe anyway down to business...

I think you probably are stuck with the selection you mentioned, from what i can remember over the years shows don't add Sunday performances around Christmas, but i may be wrong.

You may want to research Treasure Island at the Haymarket, i know that starts/has started Sunday performances, so if that interests you it may be quite a good one.

If you have the chance though Edward Scissorhands is bloody amazing (as you probably know) and if you are stuck between that and The Lion King, its no competition tbh!

Ans finally we have a TKTS in Leicester Square re: January 4th??
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Sister George Profile PhotoSister George Profile Photo
Sister George
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: January 4th??#2
Posted: 11/23/08 at 7:29am
The National also does Sundays now so you could see original Broadway cast in August: Osage County or Ralph Fiennes in Oedipus.

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk

Alternatively there's also the brillant La Clique at Hippodrome which has a 6pm show and standing tickets for a tenner - and I think over Christmas the amazing Camille O'Sullivan returns to the show.

http://www.lacliquelondon.com

There's also Trevor Nunn's new production of A Little Night Music at the Menier Chocolate Factory which has a a Sunday matinee.

http://www.menierchocolatefactory.com
"I tend to think if god wanted us to believe in him, he'd exist" Linda Smith
Updated On: 11/23/08 at 07:29 AM
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: January 4th??#3
Posted: 11/23/08 at 8:12am
Ah, my options are opening up: a multiple Tony Award winning play with most of the original Broadway cast, a classic Greek tragedy (which I just finished studying for my final school exams) and a Trevor Nunn take on Sondheim. Choices, choices, choices ...

Oedipus - sold out (unless the NT website doesn't have all the tickets)
Night Music - although one of my favs, it runs till March 8 so I'll see it at a later date
August - the OBC ... enough said

I think August is the way to go. Will it be at the TKTS, or is there a rush/lottery?

PS: I saw the Sydney production of La Clique earlier in the year (again for final exams - we studied burlesque/revue theatre as well as Oedipus)
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: January 4th??#4
Posted: 11/23/08 at 10:38am
The National has 10 day seats for every production, although for 'Oedipus' I imagine you'd have to get there SUPER early in the morning and hopefully 'August' would require early arrival as well. Although I booked my ticket way back when booking first opened and I got right near the front of the stalls for 10, so it could be worth looking at booking in advance. :3

Is 'Twelfth Night' available on that date? I know the Donmar West End season does Sunday matinees, although I know they're also a little random with some of their scheduling...
Updated On: 11/23/08 at 10:38 AM
jacco
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: January 4th??#5
Posted: 11/23/08 at 10:50am
Or you could check out the amazing Maria Friedman at 18.00!
http://www.mariafriedmanlive.com/
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: January 4th??#6
Posted: 11/23/08 at 1:45pm
The major West End shows do put on extra performances over the Christmas week but they are always extra midweek matinees to compensate for the Christmas Eve and Day shows being taken out. Its to make up the 8 performances a week quota.
The only Sunday shows are basically what's been mentioned here already and don't forget all the Christmas pantomimes all do 2 shows on Sundays.
That being said, my first choice if i only had the time you do is to get to see 'August, Osage County' - it is the most thrilling thing you will see in ages!
I've seen it 3 times on Broadway and cant wait to see how it goes down here.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: January 4th??#7
Posted: 12/5/08 at 7:02am
Not a day to see shows on Broadway though!!!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: January 4th??#8
Posted: 12/6/08 at 2:08pm
...Doomsday.
Misplaced Profile PhotoMisplaced Profile Photo
Misplaced
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: January 4th??#9
Posted: 12/7/08 at 7:07pm
Go see Maria Friedman (mentioned upthread) - it will be the last show and should be mahvelous (starts at 7:30, I think).

jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: January 4th??#10
Posted: 12/7/08 at 7:11pm
Maria was wonderful tonight in christmas in new york so will also recommend her.