Page: 1

Victoria Wood's 'Dinner Ladies' Live On stage

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Victoria Wood's 'Dinner Ladies' Live On stage

Victoria Wood has written a stage version of her hit TV show, 'Dinner Ladies'.
Casting so far includes two of the original TV cast, Andrew Dunn and Shobna Gulati.
The story line is to be taken from the second series when their characters fell in love egged on by the kitchen staff.
The production will tour the UK from April next year, opening in Windsor, with a season in the West End planned for Dec 2009.
It's NOT a musical!

Windsor Theatre Royal
April 6th -11th
30.50-12.50
Further tour dates announced soon.

Updated On: 11/22/08 at 08:27 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Josie Lawrence has been approached to play Petula, the mother part played so brilliantly in the TV series by Julie Walters.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When i was a little younger, and had a day or two of school id always watch 'dinnerladies' at about 2pm on Tv Gold. My mum and dad used to rave about it, but i never really watched it, then i really got into it and have loved it ever since. I think this would work wonderfully in theatre form, and it'll be nice to have a play that appeals to the masses.
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
YEEESSSSSS!!!!!
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I shouldnt wonder that they will try and assemble as much of the tv cast as they can for the West End run, because it will guarantee bottoms on seats.
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Obviously Julie Walters would hae been my first choice for the role but i think Josie Lawrence will be fab!!

What do we reckon on the chances of Victoria playing Bren herself?

I think it will be great fun, but i do wish the woman would write some new stuff and stop regurgitating her back catalogue.
She's starting to remind me of an ex of mine who never said anything funny that wasn't written by Victoria Wood.

How many times can you hear 'one soup....and another soup', before feeling nauseous. lol
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Unfortunately Victoria Wood has said she will only be a consultant on this production and wont be going anywhere near the stage. I actually think that may change if the tour is successful- West End audiences will kind of expect her and as many of the TV cast as possible! The Julie Walters part is a pretty minor one in 'Dinnerladies' so for her to return to it would be a miracle.
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I guess it depends it this production is newly written, based on the series, or if it is, like the Dads Army tour, just the scripts from 3 or 4 episodes dodgily linked together, and passed off as an "original" night of theatre.... If its been newly rewritten, Walters might come back, as Petula's part may be bigger. Otherwise, it seems a small part for someone like Josie Lawrence, who has enough clout behind her to get a leading role.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As in my original post the story for the stage show is not a new one and revolves around the romance of two f the characters as seen in series two.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who is Josie Lawrence?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Victoria Wood's 'Dinner Ladies' Live On stage

The wonderful Josie Lawrence is a well know comedienne in the UK thru the series 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' which has actually been sold to many countries around the world.
Around the time she got a name as a improv comedienne she was building a great reputation as an actress with the RSC. With them, she performed in 'The Taming Of The Shrew', 'Faust' and 'The Cherry Orchard'. She stared in the all female version of 'Much Ao About Nothing at the Globe Theatre on the Thames. She won top awards for both 'Shrew' and 'Much Ado'.
In 2001 she made a great impression on the musical theatre world by replacing Elaine Paige at the London Palladium in the Broadway transfer production of 'The King And I'- personally chosen by Ms Paige! Since that show she has appeared in Victoria Woods 'Acorn Antiques- The Musical'.
Her first musical was a 1993 West End bound, ill fated, musical of Daniel Defoes 'Moll Flanders'. The show opened to cold reviews from the critics and never made it past its premier at the Lyric in Hammersmith.
The CD of it doest put over any great masterpiece.

Updated On: 11/24/08 at 08:23 AM
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Apparently when she phoned Paul Merton to tell him she would be starring in The King and I, he asked how soon she would be shaving her head.

Well, it made me laugh anyway...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL I like that!
She comes over as being avery warm, lovely person.
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
You said on your original post that she has written a stage version of the tv show, which will focus on the romance between Bren and Tony. I merely wondered whether the material will be altered, or whether it will just be the TV scripts played out on stage...
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They'll be tinkered with beyond recognition I'm sure, but by her saying that she is kind of laying a blanket out for the fans.
It will be a new script but a know story line basically.
Bazzer
Swing
Swing
Actually, the casting is complete, Andrew and Shobna are the only two original members appearing but all the others are very much look a like and sound alike. I asked the producer last week if Josie was playing Petula, No, she has never even been considered! Publicity photos will be out soon, replicating the dvd cover photo. Tour starts in March in Eastbourne, then Malvern, York, Windsor, Worthing, etc etc. I should know, I'm playing Stan!
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Congrats Bazzer.