MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Sunset' Rises For Christmas CONFIRMED#1
Posted: 11/11/08 at 2:45pm
'Sunset' Rises For Christmas CONFIRMED

The last word I had as I left the office tonight was that the highly acclaimed
Watermill production of 'Sunset Blvd' has posted an opening date of Dec 17th.
The run is for 3 months depending on the demand which if you as me is gonna pretty huge.
Kathryn Evans is expected to ask for that close up in the next few days.

Updated On: 11/12/08 at 02:45 PM
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#2
Posted: 11/11/08 at 2:47pm
Any news on the theatre??
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#2
Posted: 11/11/08 at 2:48pm
That photo is pretty scarey.

Is it usual for shows to open that close to Christmas? Won't they be overlooked in all of the everything-else that is going on at that time?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#3
Posted: 11/11/08 at 2:51pm
Sorry Benny YES it's the Comedy!
I got a little excited then x
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#4
Posted: 11/11/08 at 3:09pm
Awesome :)
And no problem ... totally understandable hehe re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#5
Posted: 11/11/08 at 4:35pm
I saw Sweeney Todd at the Churchill that is performed by actors/musicians, the concept did not blow me away.

However I am happy to give this the benefit of the doubt, as I so love this show, I am keen on how they do the car chase scene.

Whatever happened to the Watermill production of Martin Guerre?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#6
Posted: 11/11/08 at 4:40pm
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas

This is the only actor/ musician production that I've been interested in and the only one I haven't seen- hope I'm not disappointed!

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#7
Posted: 11/11/08 at 4:42pm
Whatever happened to the West End production of 'Martin Guerre' ?
Oh yes, nothing!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#8
Posted: 11/11/08 at 4:45pm
I hate the concept so much. The only time I think it could be justified is if the milieu is musical. Here Hollywood just doesn't yell, "they all play instruments".

However, this leading lady might just help me overlook it because she is DYNAMITE!

The Comedy is just right, I think.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#9
Posted: 11/11/08 at 4:55pm
Actors on stage!
Orchestra in the pit!
I thank you!
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#10
Posted: 11/11/08 at 5:08pm
i hate the actor/musician concept, i don't see what it could bring to a show. I feel that a lot of the time its used just so the show can have "a thing", a gimmik if you will.
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#11
Posted: 11/12/08 at 7:05am
I couldn't agree more!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#12
Posted: 11/12/08 at 9:17am
I hope people don't decide not to see this production simply because they don't like "actor/muso" shows. Please go see it and judge it AFTER seeing it.

As for me, I saw it at the Watermill and it was fantastic. The way Craig Revel Horwood uses the instruments with the actors so that they enhance character is pure genius - and he succeeds in capturing the atmosphere of the piece quite perfectly. Also he reinvented the song "Too Much In Love To Care" so that now it works dramatically in a way it never did before. He has taken what was a quite ordinary show and turned it into pure magic.

On top of all this - Kathryn Evans's Norma is mind-blowing and Ben Goddard is the most convincing Joe Gillis I've seen.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#13
Posted: 11/12/08 at 10:22am

Previews Dec 4th with a Dec 15th opening!

Most of the cast return with Dave Willets joining as Max for the West End season.
'Ring out the old,
Ring in the new,
A West End wish has just come true'

Updated On: 11/12/08 at 10:22 AM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#14
Posted: 11/12/08 at 10:36am
It would be more of a West End wish if it wasn't this overused Actor/Musician thing
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#15
Posted: 11/12/08 at 10:44am
Mmmm, yes it would be the perfect year if it wasn't that concept but there you go. From what I've seen of the show it looks gorgeous, that is slightly tarnished by the a/m thingy!
Updated On: 11/12/08 at 10:44 AM
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#16
Posted: 11/12/08 at 11:37am
Dave Willetts as Max?

I thought Max has a deep booming voice, Dave is rather soft sounding most of the time.

I would hope for a cast recording, anyone think it may be likely? or atleast one of those 5 track singles?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#17
Posted: 11/12/08 at 12:45pm
I am looking forward to this one!!!!!
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#18
Posted: 11/12/08 at 1:26pm
YAY! re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas I actually rather enjoy the actor/musician thing, especially on the Company DVD, can't wait till this comes over :)
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#19
Posted: 11/12/08 at 1:37pm
P.S. When do tickets for this go on sale?
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#20
Posted: 11/12/08 at 2:41pm
For the record, for the benefit of those who imagine it acceptable to be judgemental when they know nothing, the actor/musician thing at the Watermill wasn't about it being a gimmick, it could only have been that or something else entirely. It is just too tiny a space! There is no room for musicians, let alone any sort of orchestra. The front row is so close, you can put feet on the raised dais that is the stage!

And I very much agree with most of what bob8rich has to say before: "As for me, I saw it at the Watermill and it was fantastic. The way Craig Revel Horwood uses the instruments with the actors so that they enhance character is pure genius - and he succeeds in capturing the atmosphere of the piece quite perfectly. Also he reinvented the song "Too Much In Love To Care" so that now it works dramatically in a way it never did before. He has taken what was a quite ordinary show and turned it into pure magic."

I don't actually agree that Sunset Boulevard should ever be an "ordinary" show, and I do have the odd reservation re the interpretation. I did like the reinterpretation of "Too much in love to care", but didn't like the reinterpretatrion of the title song to be angry rather than introspective. But overall, it was still really excellent!

And Kathryn Evans's "Norma" is great! She sings it fantastically! Wasn't quite as keen on Ben Goddard, though.

But as far as bob8rich's first sentence was concerned: "I hope people don't decide not to see this production simply because they don't like "actor/muso" shows. Please go see it and judge it AFTER seeing it.".... No, that's what reasonable and intelligent people do. So, frankly, I hope those who are that stupid, don't bother to go, and miss out!

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#21
Posted: 11/12/08 at 3:04pm
I'm not stupid I'm going on the 4th!
....and people are not stupid or know nothing if they strongly don't like the concept of a show they are expected to pay 60 for! thank you very much!!!
'Sunset Blvd is the only one of the a/m shows I've not seen over the few years they have been done and my unstupid opinion is that they don't totally work and that opinion is shared by theatre critics and audiences alike!
Space has nothing to do with it as all the shows in the past have been done mostly in theatre with full orchestra pit facilities.
Updated On: 11/12/08 at 03:04 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#22
Posted: 11/12/08 at 3:16pm

Updated On: 11/12/08 at 03:16 PM
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#23
Posted: 11/12/08 at 3:48pm
Ladybegood, it was an opinion. If you had really understood my post you would have realised i said i "hate the concept". It was not a personal vendetta against this production of Sunset, just a passing comment about actor/music shows. And if i had made a critique about the production, that's my perogative, and would appreciate it if you could refrain from referring to me and others as stupid and un-knowledgable, for disliking a concept you do.

"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
vassey
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#24
Posted: 11/14/08 at 4:20am

Tickets now on sale via The Ambassadors website!

Click!

Updated On: 11/14/08 at 04:20 AM