Jersey Boys London

Owen Mc Colgan
Swing
Swing
Jersey Boys London #1
Posted: 11/9/08 at 9:50am
Hi

Someone that I no just got a job in the Jersey boys in the prince edward. How has it been going. Has it been playing to full houses or will it last long im the west end
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #2
Posted: 11/9/08 at 10:26am
No its not playing to capacity ay all, especially during the week
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Owen Mc Colgan
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys London #2
Posted: 11/9/08 at 12:25pm
yeah thats what i was saying because if it is not at full capacity during the week and only at the weekend they may close sooner than expected.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys London #3
Posted: 11/9/08 at 2:18pm
Its lasted longer than I thought it would but I just hated it.
Saw Ryan Molloy last week at the weakest link and he almost made me want another look.
Prince edward is huge though and is anything other than mamma mia and dirty dancing playing to full houses during the week?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #4
Posted: 11/9/08 at 7:30pm
Its not selling out the huge Prince Edward but it has just renewed contracts thru till July next year.
Sherry5
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys London #5
Posted: 11/9/08 at 7:50pm
The show has been extended for 6 more months and now taking bookings through 24 OCT 09.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #6
Posted: 11/9/08 at 8:04pm
Booking periods at the box office, as has been mentioned here many times, mean nothing to a shows run. If a show does clever ads like 'Now booking til Oct 09' or '25,000 new seats just released' that helps the publics interest. The cast and cast replacements are now contracted till Jul/Aug.
Advanced talks are strong for the Edward's next show from next Sept already but wont be certain until the New Year. This by no means that 'Jersey Boys' will come off, it could well tick over as it is now and as its stands the management and producers are quiet happy.
I like the show and at least its proven to be a much stronger crowd puller than most people originally thought.

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #7
Posted: 11/10/08 at 3:23pm
'Prince edward is huge though and is anything other than mamma mia and dirty dancing playing to full houses during the week?'

I thought Wicked and Hairspray would still be selling out?

So if Jersey Boys is not selling, why are they not using tkts at half price? I would not pay 60 for a ticket, I can take it or leave it, the only interest I have in the production is what all the fuss is about in America?

I thought this show would do a lot better now considering that the pound against the dollar is not great now, hence more Americans are over here and this show is big wuth them?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #8
Posted: 11/10/08 at 3:32pm
A show is under no obligation to place seats on TKTS.
The show, 'Jersey Boys', is doing well enough to only sent tickets there on a few performances now and again. It does, however, sell seats there at 25% off far more than they do 50%.
From my experience years ago working in the box office, if a show was still doing pretty well it was carefully watched on the day as to how door sales may be in the few hours before curtain up to help a show get up to capacity. A lot of shows I worked on would sometimes send as few as 10 seats per performance. This was mainly to fill up back and/or side seats that would be hard to sell at last minute.
Some shows would, and I'm sure still do, send as many as 100 seats to every show- 'Leonardo'- Jeez we could give them away!
in the first 10/15 years of the TKTS booth opening for a show to have seats there was looked upon as being a rare opportunity to see a show cheap and unlike these days it wasn't seen as an indication that the show was doing poor business so its selling it's self at half price! Its a shame it seen that way to day as it is certainly not always true.
Its a lot easier these days for theatres to deal with the allocation sent to TKTS as everything is by computer. In the days of paper plans, the tickets would pulled and invoiced to the booth and every day at 12 midday a courier would pick up the seats from every participating theatre and take them to the booth. If a show sold well at the booth they would be call the theatre and request an extra allocation. Any unsold seats at the booth would be returned to the theatre around 6/7pm evrty night and put for normal full price sale at the box office.
You can imagine how much easier all these allocations are now with the press of a button.

Updated On: 11/10/08 at 03:32 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #9
Posted: 11/11/08 at 12:32pm
Thank you for a in depth reply Mama!

pressing a button also give me access to a great theatre message board.

I always assumed that box offices would not sell many tickets on the day, I always thought they probably deal with advance tickets more, I must be wrong?

If Jersy Boys are only selling half there seats in the week, I always guessed it would be better to sell a ticket for 30 than nothing.

Say you sell 100 seats for 30, 6 times a week, you would make 18.000 a week, which would pay for all the actors/actresses wages, so comes in handy.
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys London #10
Posted: 11/12/08 at 5:18pm
Last time I checked, JB was only selling full price tickets at TKTS.The producers have been determined not to get a reputation as a "discount show".

It's true that the show is not selling out. The seem to close off the upper tier (misleadingly called the Grand Circle) except at weekends. Nevertheless the rest of the house seems to be pretty full on those nights.Looking at the economics of not discounting - you earn more money selling say 1000 seats (66% capacity) at an average of 50 i.e 50,000 than you would trying to sell a full house at say 30 average. 1500x30 is only 45,000. Also discounting destroys the cachet of the product on offer.

Overall, the show is doing pretty well - remember all those predictions of it not lasting six months? As a fan I can't reconcile conflicting bits of evidence - all the gushing at the opening, great audience reaction, and people saying they go repeatedly. I'd have thought word of mouth plus repeat business would eventually see the show selling out.

But it is a huge theatre. Ironically it's bigger than the August Wilson in New York
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #11
Posted: 11/12/08 at 5:58pm
This is an interesting and useful thread. I wasn't initially interested in Jersey Boys but having just heard the CD (re: Jersey Boys London ) I've decided I need to see it. I must admit, if I'd noticed discounted tickets at the booth I would probably have gone on a whim so the fact that I haven't means they're probably not there.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #12
Posted: 11/12/08 at 6:14pm
i really am quite interested in seeing Jersey Boys, its just there's other things id rather spend my money on first. I might just have to bite the bullet and go.
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #13
Posted: 11/12/08 at 6:20pm
re: Jersey Boys London

If I've converted you two then that's fantastic!
It really is a great show. You need to know nothing about the Four Seasons as a group, just go and enjoy some great, great music brilliantly played by a brilliant cast and musicians, add to that a great story= a great evening!

Updated On: 11/12/08 at 06:20 PM
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #14
Posted: 11/12/08 at 6:46pm
Looks like good eye-candy as well. I'll have the second from the left; Mama and Sam can fight over the rest.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #15
Posted: 11/12/08 at 6:51pm
Mama and Sam have already had the rest!
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys London #16
Posted: 11/13/08 at 2:45am
Definitely go and see it! It's fantastic =)
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys London #17
Posted: 11/13/08 at 6:41am
I saw it for the second time a couple of weeks ago and got a lot more out of it. However, the brilliant Stephen Ashfield wasn't in it so Bob Gaudio was played by this little oddity called Kieran Jay. Honestly, it was like someone had thrown a simpleton at the stage and told it to dance. Not a bad voice though.
Zinone
Understudy
Understudy
re: Jersey Boys London #18
Posted: 11/13/08 at 7:07am
Anyone who's interested in seeing the show but doesn't want to pay top price should use the Metro offer where best available seats are reduced to 20 on the day. I got three seats in the centre of Row E in the Dress Circle on Monday for just under 65. Not bad going...
mrcacou Profile Photomrcacou Profile Photo
mrcacou
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Jersey Boys London #19
Posted: 11/13/08 at 11:12am
I think I should give it another chance. I love the CD but was so disappointed when I saw in Chicago during the summer. I thought it was long and boring. Is the London cast really worth it ?
In my heart, I found the answered dream, and in my soul I found the song, and in my friends I found the magic, the love, the moon up above- they were mine, all mine, all along..!
wiggy2687
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys London #20
Posted: 11/13/08 at 1:38pm
The london cast are AMAZING!!!!! Ryan Molloy,Stephen Ashfield,Philip Bulcock, and Glenn Carter have to be the best cast ever for a musical....they just fit so well together. As for someone saying Kieran Jae was rubbish,i truly disagree...i saw him the first two times i saw the show, and i truly found it hard watching Stephen at first because i got so used to Kireran in the role...the whole cast including swings are amazing, they deserve so many awards. Ive seen this show 8 times and i just want to see it more and more.
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys London #21
Posted: 11/13/08 at 2:41pm
An American friend an ex-editor on Time magazine and acquaintance of Bob Gaudio told me he thinks the London cast is the best of all -certainly in the acting department. I'm not sure I totally agree - the OBC were magical, but the London cast runs them pretty close. Ryan Molloy really competes with John LLoyd Young but I don't think Glen Carter puts enough swagger into Tommy.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #22
Posted: 11/13/08 at 3:02pm
I haven't seen the Broadway show, I just know the OBC very, very well.
I saw the first national touring company in San Francisco 2 Christmas's ago and they were knock out stunning- the London company come so very, very close to them!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys London #23
Posted: 11/13/08 at 6:02pm
Zinone tell me more on this Metro offer please, I might be interested in going!!!!!

As it happens I was going to see la Cage au Follies this afternoon, but the had no tickets at the tkts booth.

Zinone
Understudy
Understudy
re: Jersey Boys London #24
Posted: 11/14/08 at 4:32am
Hey, sorry I should have put all the info in the first post!

Be warned though, it's Monday-Thursday only.

Call 0844 482 5152 at 10am on the day of the performance, say you want to book some tickets under the Metro offer, and you get the best available for 20 each! The ad was in the Metro a couple of months ago, but it's still running as I used it for Monday and got fantastic seats.