Page: 1

Imagine This - Anyone?

CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Imagine This - Anyone?#1
Posted: 11/4/08 at 10:51am
Anyone seeing Imagine this tonight? Would love to know afterwards how it is, so please report back, am tempted to go Saturday, but it will be decided by what you lot think of it?
Updated On: 11/4/08 at 10:51 AM
Misplaced Profile PhotoMisplaced Profile Photo
Misplaced
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Imagine This - Anyone?#2
Posted: 11/4/08 at 7:14pm
(Posted initially on another board, but I'm allowed to quote myself wherever I like without fear of copyright infringement)

Saw the first preview tonight (4 November). Actually I have no idea what I thought of this show so I'll stick to technical comments for now:

Fabulous singing - I caught only two wrong notes (which I thought was terrific for the first time in front of an audience).

Ditto fabulous music - well done to the orchestra.

I thought there was too much cast for that size revolve. I know the theatre is a bit horrid, but it seemed like far too much space wasted on the sides and over-crowding in the centre.

Along those same lines, the dance choreography was very good - perhaps not enough of dance and too much flashy arm work. Which is not to say the flashy arm work wasn't good (it was - especially Salome), but I thought the production would have benefited from more dancing. But see above on the size of the revolve.

Leila Benn Harris has a stunning voice and sang effortlessly through her bridge - but had an audible gulping when breathing in which was really distracting. Was this first night jitters - has anyone heard her before? I thought she hit the high notes just beautifully.

Peter Polycarpou stole the show for me, he was wonderful.

Kudos to two of the cast who were perfectly frozen through two of the "let everyone be frozen" tableaux - Sevan Stephan who held a very awkward position for what seemed like forEVER during Daniel's solo "The Last Laugh" in Act II and Unknown Ensemble Guy imitating a table but on two legs and one hand during "I Surrender" also in Act II.

Act II tighter than Act I, and more emotional. I would say the production needs some tinkering to bring it together.

Apparently this production kills off a/some character(s) who were not killed in Plymouth. Who died in Plymouth (please use spoilers when posting a response)?

So, what did I think. Dunno. I hate to say it, but I can't see it lasting in this economy. It has lovely music, lovely singing, some great acting, some not-so-great acting that might iron itself out in the next couple of weeks, very funny in parts, really gutting in parts, super depressing in parts, oddly uplifting in others. Worth seeing and I expect I'll see it again when it's out of previews.

But really, I don't know what I thought of it.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Imagine This - Anyone?#2
Posted: 11/5/08 at 4:40am
Leila Benn Harris is a stunning performer, must just be an off night or something I would say. She is one of the best Christines ive seen, shes one of the main reasons I want to see this.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Imagine This - Anyone?#3
Posted: 11/6/08 at 6:18pm
Back from tonight's preview. I've got a tonne of other work to do before I go to bed, but I will say this:

1. This is not the trainwreck that it sounds like on paper.
2. That said, the book has some issues, primarily with tone and a particular character.
3. Didn't leave with a tune in my head but also wouldn't mind making a return visit for cheap or downloading the CD.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Imagine This - Anyone?#4
Posted: 11/7/08 at 4:22pm
I'm just listening to the CD - it's a bit 80s but, hey, that's my generation and its much better than I expected.
A Fleur De Toi Profile PhotoA Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Imagine This - Anyone?#5
Posted: 11/17/08 at 6:16pm
Just watched it tonight. I have only one thing to say: The show was saved by its plot alone.
In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Imagine This - Anyone?#6
Posted: 11/17/08 at 7:21pm
I'm thinking about going on Thursday, as long as it's on TKTS and there's nothing better (that I haven't already seen) available. I do like to see all the new musicals, so the producers know to keep making them, but... *shrugs*
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Imagine This - Anyone?#7
Posted: 11/17/08 at 8:44pm
I'm debating whether or not I want to go again. I can get free tickets, but so soon....
luceecool
Understudy
Understudy
re: Imagine This - Anyone?#8
Posted: 11/18/08 at 7:22am
Already got my ticket for Thursday, am actually quite excited after getting a little taster ages ago although i'm slightly worried its going to be rubbish as then I'll have to rebuke on that big article I already wrote about it...
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Imagine This - Anyone?#9
Posted: 11/18/08 at 5:02pm
...just look forward to the set....I simply cant wait to see the set!
A Fleur De Toi Profile PhotoA Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Imagine This - Anyone?#10
Posted: 11/18/08 at 9:31pm
set was stunning really. But though i must second the view above that there was too much wasted space at the flanks and everyone seemed a little squashed up at the middle.

Loads of technical errors but I guess that's what previews are for - to get them sorted.
In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!