Wicked Day

lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Wicked Day#1
Posted: 10/27/08 at 9:03am
I went to Wicked Day yesterday... not impressed. The crazed fans did my nut in, there was nothing much to look at, and it was unjustifiably crowded.

On the plus side, got a bit of Des Barrit action (although he didn't recognise me at all) and I was happy with my goodie bag (although I have about forty of those Oyster card holders at home and God knows what I'm going to do with a ****ing balloon). The bag itself, however, will come in very useful on my trips down to Somerfield and I did my little crossword on the train home.

In all, we were there for about ten minutes. We'd already made vague alternative plans just in case it was crap so as soon as it was the unanimous opinion that Wicked Day was rubbish, we hot footed it to the Saatchi... which was also rubbish.

Ah well, I bought a hat in H&M so I still came away a happy lovepigeon.
Updated On: 10/27/08 at 09:03 AM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#2
Posted: 10/27/08 at 9:34am
Why did you bother?
How do you know Des?
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked Day#2
Posted: 10/27/08 at 9:39am
He was in The Seagull and Merchant at Chichester the first season I worked there (summer '03... kind of explains why he didn't recognise me). We kept seeing each other at Chi car boot sale and after weeks of telling each other about our bargains in the pub after shows, we decided to go together. He bought a big clock. His cabaret is hilarious too... he's so crude. A brilliant, brilliant man.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#3
Posted: 10/27/08 at 9:40am
He's been a dear close friend of mine for 30 years!
I love him dearly and all those years back he taught me so much.
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked Day#4
Posted: 10/27/08 at 9:43am
Are you still in touch with him?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#5
Posted: 10/27/08 at 9:46am
Every few weeks usually but not much for a few months now.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#6
Posted: 10/27/08 at 10:02am
I dont suppose anyone has seen the Dress Circle vote thing..the best musical/musical recording ever thing..?
Wicked is in #1 position! how can this be happening!?
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#7
Posted: 10/27/08 at 10:02am
A loud and highly net-populating fanbase?
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked Day#8
Posted: 10/27/08 at 10:45am
I voted for Wicked. I was listening to the Stuttgart cast at the time and was just in the mood. The next day at work I voted for How To Succeed... a more mature choice I feel.
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked Day#9
Posted: 10/27/08 at 10:54am
I got to sing at it last year (properly, not that competition thing) and a guy asked the sound guy if he could sing...he thought we were doing karaoke -_- It was a good day though, but jeez some of those fans are freaky...
I couldn't be bothered to go this year...it was all the way...somewhere not near where I live re: Wicked Day
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#10
Posted: 10/27/08 at 11:50am
You voted for the German cast recording of 'Wicked'???
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked Day#11
Posted: 10/27/08 at 11:55am
I voted for Wicked in general, but the German cast recording blows my mind! Willemijne Verkaik is just incredible.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#12
Posted: 10/27/08 at 12:01pm
But it's nor even a proper cast recording. They are sing to the Broadway orchestra track!

lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked Day#13
Posted: 10/27/08 at 12:24pm
So do the Japanese cast. Have you heard that? I'm not a racist (seriously), but their voices are just horriible. Defying Gravity is painful to listen to.

On the German one, you only really notice any difference in quality towards the end of DG, when her voice is way louder than the music and it kind of spoils the effect of the orchestration. Otherwise, they have it just right. I think their versions of No Good Deed and What is This Feeling are actually better than those on the OBCR. The Japanese though... don't touch it. Horror.
legally_wicked
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Wicked Day#14
Posted: 10/27/08 at 12:28pm
Crazed fans at Wicked day. Shocking.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#15
Posted: 10/27/08 at 12:36pm
I have the German CD and think the voices are incredible.
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked Day#16
Posted: 10/27/08 at 12:53pm
Yeah they are! I think the vocal arrangement on What is this Feeling (I can never remember the German titles... Was Fuhl Ich In Mir?) is much better, although this could be down to something as simple as the position of mics, plus I love her laugh at the end. They seem to let go more in their acting... I'm not sure if Idina felt uncomfortable really performing in a recording studio but the German recording is much less contrived and actually more fun to listen to. Oh my Lord, the No Good Deed (Gutes Tun) is incredible. She's so angry!

That's what I reckon anyway.

Oh, and Legally Wicked? I couldn't agree more. We had these gimps behind us in the queue talking about the cast like they were friends and trying to outdo each other. And, oh Lord, the screaming! It was embarassing to be near them.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#17
Posted: 10/27/08 at 1:04pm
I want to ask what Wicked Day is but I think I'm too old so I wont bother!!!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#18
Posted: 10/27/08 at 1:06pm
I want to ask what Wicked Day is but I think I'm too old so I wont bother!!!
**This post does NOT require a reply!

Updated On: 10/27/08 at 01:06 PM
A Fleur De Toi Profile PhotoA Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Wicked Day#19
Posted: 10/27/08 at 5:09pm
I was there... but fret not... Am not one of those crazed fans :p

It was a little boring tbh, and I left after an hour - I thought the cast would be singing, but they didnt, damn. Got a picture with Caroline Breiff, and that was pretty much it.

and lovepigeon... totes agreed on the stuttgart recording! (haha yes Mamas, I consider it a cast recording :P) Solang Ich Dich Hab is fierce! Man I love Willemijn :)

Frankly i was a little grossed out by the Japanese version too.
In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#20
Posted: 10/27/08 at 5:17pm
Try the Japanese 'Rent'! The award winner for hardest cast recording to listen too.. ever!
musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photomusicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#21
Posted: 10/28/08 at 3:56pm
Do any of you actually own the Japanese "Wicked"? If you did, there would be NOO way that you could say it was bad. Maybe if you saw the commercial for the Tokyo production, you would say that, because Hamada was HORRIBLE in "Defying Gravity" then, but EVERYONE is AMAZING on the Tokyo CD. I love the German CD as well. I will fly to Amsterdam JUST to get the Original Dutch Cast CD on the FIRST DAY!!! The Dutch one will be sooooooooooooo amazing. It's not surprising AT ALL that "Wicked" is the most popular show at Dress Circle. It has a HUGE fanbase all over the UK, and honestly, who do you think votes for that? Londoners? No. It's tourists. Probably a few Londoners vote, but mostly tourists and the show that's most popular among UK, European, DEFINITELY JAPANESE, and probably even Americans who want to see a show from their own country for a smaller price is WICKED.
A Fleur De Toi Profile PhotoA Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Wicked Day#22
Posted: 10/28/08 at 5:06pm
"It has a HUGE fanbase all over the UK, and honestly, who do you think votes for that? Londoners? No. It's tourists. Probably a few Londoners vote, but mostly tourists and the show that's most popular among UK, European, DEFINITELY JAPANESE, and probably even Americans who want to see a show from their own country for a smaller price is WICKED."

my gawd. What does that sentence even mean? Are you implying that because Japanese tourists vote for Wicked as Dress Circle's Best Musical, the Japanese cast recording will definitely be good? Because that's the drift I'm getting, do correct me honey.

I" will fly to Amsterdam JUST to get the Original Dutch Cast CD on the FIRST DAY!!!"

I'm glad for you dear, but I am both a Wicked fan and a NORMAL person... so pardon me if I don't hop over on the Eurostar just to get a CD.

I do actually owe all the recordings of Wicked, including the Japanese cast recording... and I'm sorry but it kinda stinks. Pity I have to agree with you that the German cast recording is awesome though.

mtf3, you are not very well-liked on BWW, you know why? Cause you are too confrontational... and sometimes completely random. Sometimes I do think your updates about Wicked productions are quite legit posts, but ppl put you down because of your reputation, which is a real pity actually.

You just need to be more sensible, darling.
In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Wicked Day#23
Posted: 10/28/08 at 5:29pm
Well said AFDT, you saved me that!
I have a number of Japanese cast recording CD's including 'Rent' 'Beauty And The Beast' 'Peter Pan' 'The Lion King'. 'Wicked' is by far the most unlistenable of the lot.
Any day now I have the DVD of the Japanese 'Me And My Girl' dropping thru my letterbox- I certainly didn't get the first Nippon Airways flight out to Tokyo to get any of these!
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Wicked Day#24
Posted: 10/29/08 at 7:13am
"EVERYONE is AMAZING on the Tokyo CD"

Are you insane? I realise that spoken Japanese has different intonation and inflection but surely they could have found someone better suited to the parts? Oh well, who am I to judge? That's probably how they do musical theatre there and for all I know, they probably think the Broadway and German CR's are rubbish. Any way, for my European ears, it is a hideous recording to listen to.

"I will fly to Amsterdam JUST to get the Original Dutch Cast CD on the FIRST DAY!!!"

That is either excitement getting the better of your judgement, you are lying or you are stupid, it's not for me to decide. To spend time and money on a flight to buy a f*cking CD is ridiculous. Is something awful going to happen in those few days to wait for Amazon delivery? Jesus!