The Broadway "Hilarious Comments by Tourists" Thread

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't want to start another board war, but does anyone else find the "Aren't Tourists Dumb?" thread on the Broadway board irritating and/or offensive?

Of course tourists are not going to know the city as well as its indigenous folk. How would they feel if we started up a "Aren't Americans dumb!" thread?
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One of the first threads I posted on when I joined this site was a Broadway Board tourist hostility thread. I thought it was hilarious! But then I had some sympathy - I get fed up with tourists in London and I know my colleagues increasingly join the anti-polite mentality of barging them out of the way.

Come to think of it, I get fed up with tourists in Yorkshire!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I remember what happened when someone felt the need to make an "Aren't Americans dumb?"-esque thread on here. It ultimately resulted in a lot of bad blood and some account suspensions, iirc.

But srsly; a LOT of tourists in New York are American, so it's... not the racism that "aren't Americans dumb?" implies you think it is. It's just theatre fan elitism. And, y'know... it's not exactly a surprise that theatre fans can get a little elitist. Yes, quite a lot of the posts in that thread do inspire the response of "dude, 'uninformed' isn't the same as 'completely stupid', and that's not even funny", but quite a lot of the posts are also rib-ticklingly chucklesome. If it offends you, don't read it. If it offends you THAT MUCH, report it to Rob/Craig/mods/whoever.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually I haven't read the thread for a long time, but even the title on the board index is irritating.

And as for reporting it, well, unlike those people who wish to militantly police the boards, I prefer to let other post what they like. I reserve the right to be irritated by it though.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mmmmmmm!
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I believe the title has the word "tourists", not "British people".
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WishingOnlyWounds2 are you trying to stir up trouble on the board here and Broadway??? We had aenuf of this a few weeks ago with out you opening up the boil again! I mean why are you posting about this thread 'Tourists' back and forth with the comments payed here? People on the Broadway board do read this one you know!
Great to see that your setting yourself up here by causing trouble after only 4 weeks as poster!
Why are you telling us for example that Broadway's 'Spamalot' is closing when we can see that ourselves! Yes, we post over there but not to cause trouble!
I think I speak for a few people on here- stay over on the Broadway board if all you can do is stir! OR play nice and 'welcome'!
xxx
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wickedboy, do you think your the only one who can make a different name?
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not sure what you mean but EVERYONE knows here I used to be Wickedboy2 !!!!!
You haven't answered my question tho!
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ok, well in case I didn't make it obvious, this isn't my first user name.

If I was trying to "stir up" trouble I might make a thread "can you believe the west end board? Calling everyone!" Hint hint
xxx
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not interested in what your old username!
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow...
If I was trying to stir up trouble, you would know!
I was able to do it once before... you know, remember your "Broadway is Dead!" thread. Well I was and still am a huge XANADU fan, and got offended, who do you think started the riot last time?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL
You are incredible!
SO you have come back to cause a bit trouble! Funny how you dint want to reveal who you were? I came back as Mama and everyone knew about it- I had nothing to hide! And you know, i still don't know who you are- we've moved on here!
Updated On: 10/17/08 at 09:51 PM
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks, I try.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
*Above post edited
I had conversations with the mods about the last incident and that is why i came back with a name i had wanted for a while - nothing to hide!
Wickedboy2 was a name made up for me by friends while on holiday in NY and i couldnt change so i stuck with it!
Updated On: 10/17/08 at 09:54 PM
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wasn't hiding it. I posted it in a thread. Guess you just must have not read that one, surprising actually.

Ok, lets play a game. You try and guess my old user name, if you don't get it, I'll just tell you.
Ready, set, go!
Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile PhotoSchmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is redonkulous... I'm sure everyone knows who both of you are...But guys, I think the "Hilarious Comments" thread is not made to mock 'stupid tourists'. I'm a stupid tourist, and I think the thread is probably the funniest on BWW. Granted, lots of people have posted rather snide anecdotes that aren't really funny and seem designed to say 'look how much more I know about theatre than the average bear' but there's plenty of good material.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I don't find the tourist thread unfair on the whole (of course there are always a few comments which spoil the mood) because its more of a 'aww they're so naive' rather than 'they're totally retarded lets point and laugh'.

Though that does get patronizing, but to be fair...every group 'in the know' mocks those who aren't; sporty people/smart people etc.

& I think it's safe to say that nobody here cares what your old username was. Apologies.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I mean I think that there are a lot of tourists who have asked New Yorkers somewhat stupid questions. I for one can't tell you the number of times I have been in front of either Madison Square Garden or Radio City only to have someone ask me where it is.

I am sure people in London have had someone walk up to them and ask them a question that they thought was a bit stupid.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Nah we're normally moving too fast to stop for tourists,
as I thought most in NYC would be too.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
We may be asked stupid questions, but haven't felt compelled to start a thread about it though.

And I don't recall singling out the British in my original post; obviously British people are amongst the tourists, but my comment was intended to include tourists of all nationalities.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Updated On: 10/20/08 at 10:46 AM
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
This is the tale of a stupid tourist and a stupid taxi driver.

We once had an American guy phone our office from a taxi asking where Hammersmith Apollo was. He said he could see an Esporta gym and a load of houses. My colleague speaking to him cottoned on quite quickly and asked him if he could see a Budgens, to which the man answered, "Yes, I can now."

It transpired that the man had been picked up by his taxi outside the Renaissance Hotel in Chancery Court to go to the Hammersmith Apollo, where his wife and daughters were meeting him before HSM. This man, for reasons never made clear, gave the cab driver our company's postcode instead of the theatre's, and the driver's sat nav brought him all the way to Guildford.

What puzzles me is why the cab driver didn't question it. Surely the man asked for the Hammersmith Apollo?! Needless to say, he missed the show.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
A lucky escape?