Page: 1

The Doubtful Guest

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Doubtful Guest#1
Posted: 10/5/08 at 1:29pm
I saw this little miraculous show last night on tour in Plymouth.

If you remember 'Shockheaded Peter' it has a similar vibe but is far less sinister.

Telling the story of a strange creature who invades the home of an equally strange family, the staging is full of delightful stagecraft and surreal comedy that had the audience enraptured. The small enemble of 5 sing, dance, fly in scenery and explain their story in diagram to such charming effect that I was totally drawn in, so that the final coup de theatre became one of the most wondrous things I've ever seen- equal, in a different way- to the end of Slava.

It is going to Southampton, Cambridge and Cardiff shortly, so if you can I urge you to see this unique show!

PS Sorry- it's another play- but it does have songs in it so it almost counts :)
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Doubtful Guest#2
Posted: 10/5/08 at 3:19pm
I know a fella who's in a band called the Doubtful Guest. They're terribly good but have never got as far as they should...

Is it based on the Edward Gorey book? Edward Gorey makes me happy. :3
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Doubtful Guest#2
Posted: 10/5/08 at 3:58pm
The play is certainly based on Gorey, and has that same gothic vibe.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Doubtful Guest#3
Posted: 10/5/08 at 4:05pm
'Shocheaded Peter' was way beyond me and I felt sick at some of it - made my way out of Hammersmith in the interval!
They did however go on to be huge in the West End (3 seasons) and in New York which none of them had dared expect.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Doubtful Guest#4
Posted: 10/5/08 at 4:08pm
The Doubtful Guest isn't gruesome like Shockheaded Peter (which I naturally loved! Julian B went on to great things as did several other members of the company. The Tigerlillies remain a formidable cabaret act, too).
TDG is suitable for children even though the end, (which I won't reveal), clearly span out several younger members of the audience!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Doubtful Guest#5
Posted: 10/5/08 at 4:12pm
I must say, I really do like the sound of 'Shockheaded Peter'. When you say Julian B, I presume the B stands for Bleach. :3

And ain't NOTHING wrong with talking about plays! They are frequently much more surprising and occasionally even more exciting than musicals. :3
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Doubtful Guest#6
Posted: 10/5/08 at 4:16pm
re: The Doubtful Guest

Mr Bleach indeed (as seen in your avatar!) played the world's greatest actor, a macabre figure who acted as MC for the evening's horrors.

RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Doubtful Guest#7
Posted: 10/5/08 at 6:30pm
My parents thought it was a good idea to take me to Shockheaded Peter when I was 8....not fun =(