Witches Of Eastwick

chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Witches Of Eastwick#1
Posted: 10/2/08 at 5:27pm
So.... tomorrow my dreams come true- I get to see witches of eastwick again after years of waiting.

Im not expecting to be blown away by the production, but I am expecting good things and im excited about hearing the new music.... and just being swept back up into the crazy eastwick world!!!

What is everybody's thoughts who have seen the tour so far? Should I be excited? Is it good? Should I be worried?! Do they have any merchandise blah blah blah!

:) :) im sooooooooooooo excited. Got awesome 15 seats in the stalls.... and Im taking this guy ive been dating for AGES!! :)
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#2
Posted: 10/2/08 at 6:01pm
one reason you'll have a very excitable time:

Mr Pellow! :)
have fun, im sure you will!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#2
Posted: 10/2/08 at 8:00pm
Saw it tonight and it is amazing! It so doesnt look like a touring show! Its big, in your face, colorfull, vibrant, well cast and very, very sexy! Marti Pellow just burns up that stage! Great voice, goes without saying, and his acting is spot on! (and that tongue!!!) The 3 girls are superstars!
This isn't the London production -its better!
Enjoy!
Oh! and you get to see Fidels naked bum! Nice!
Updated On: 10/2/08 at 08:00 PM
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#3
Posted: 10/4/08 at 5:23am
Chrissy: there's another thread on the National tour not too far below this that has a lot of details and comments on.

Mama shares the same opinion of the tour as me.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#4
Posted: 10/7/08 at 10:27am
Finally managed to see the tour last Thursday in Wimbledon and I'm so glad that I decided not to wait until next year - it was great! (minor spoilers follow for anyone fussy about these things).

Whereas the original was hugely entertaining, this was the first time the show had actually engaged me and the whole thing now fairly zips along with whole scenes added, cut or re-written(the reprise of 'My Wildest Dreams' and Darryl's extended final scene are welcome additions). A lot of the score has been chopped and changed as well - I miss the old numbers (especially A Little Town) but the replacements work just as well and I love the new counterpoint melody the three ladies sing at the end of Eastwick Knows. There needs to be a new recording of this much altered score, though I know better than to hold any breath on that front...

The sets were far beyond what I expected and the orchestra did their best to make up for a cut in numbers with enthusiasm. Biggest surprise of the night (for me) was Marti Pellow who managed to balance both wonderfully over top with menacing and creepy throughout the evening. Ria Jones, Rebecca Thornhill and Poppy Tierney were great, though I did find myself missing Joanna Riding's uptight shrewish portrayal of Jane - Poppy Tierney seemed to be delivering all the lines at half-speed. And while the new lines about Alex being fat worked with Emily Skinner's 'Rubinesque' figure, they didn't make quite as much sense with Ria Jones.

Can't wait until the show comes down to the South West and I get another chance to see it - it seemed fairly well attended so here's hoping it's successful enough to keep everyone dancing with the devil for a long while yet... re: Witches Of Eastwick

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#5
Posted: 10/7/08 at 10:38am
Cast Recording!, did you say Cast Recoding?
You were at the performance I saw- great buzz in the theatre that night. I'm told that that is what it's been like most nights since it opened 4 weeks ago!
Updated On: 10/7/08 at 10:38 AM
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#6
Posted: 10/7/08 at 11:07am
I'm finally getting off my bum to write up thoughts on this...the short is that it was pleasant and the songs do stay in my head, but I also feel like I was a passive observer for much of it rather than brought into the show's world.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#7
Posted: 10/8/08 at 5:36pm
Annnd...

Review posted. Link in sig as always.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#8
Posted: 3/19/09 at 7:17pm
Bumping up to say I saw this in Sunderland tonight and well.... it wasn't as good as I thought. The music was so unmemorable I can't remember hardly any of it (and ive listened to the cd before). Not good.

Marti Pellow wasn't bad, but he was far from good.

The three ladies stole the show in my eyes.

And WHY did they cut Loose Ends re: Witches Of Eastwick. Always loved that song, and would have atleast been one to hum along too on the way out.
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#9
Posted: 3/19/09 at 7:19pm
I agree with the loss of loose ends ! but same with i love the little town !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#10
Posted: 3/19/09 at 8:49pm
Really looking forward to seeing this in Cardiff at the end of April! I've always loved this show. I've seen a number of amateur productions since I saw the original West End show and all of them have been minus Loose Ends, which I think is crazy as it's the best song in the score.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
wildcat Profile Photowildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#11
Posted: 3/19/09 at 9:34pm
I think it's just a question of pacing. After Felicia and Clyde's death it feels better to keep the story moving forward rather than slowing down for a ballad. (At least, that's what the authors felt when they cut it.)
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#12
Posted: 3/19/09 at 10:15pm
I know they felt they wanted to keep the scene moving - but to me it worked better before. The second act needs a strong song - also Loose Ends is the song that defines Sukie's character. The show loses more than it gains by leaving it out.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#13
Posted: 3/20/09 at 7:05am
mMeeting with people on Wednesday afternoon, I can only stress that if you havent seen this production yet then do so soon. It only has a few weeks left on tour and the talk now is that the transfer is getting less and less likely now.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#14
Posted: 3/20/09 at 7:17am
oh thats good to hear! That means the Q will hopefully have a long run on Shaftesbury Avenue!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#15
Posted: 3/20/09 at 8:08am
I enjoyed it but it had many many problems, the press kicked the crap out of it here in Manchester
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#16
Posted: 3/20/09 at 8:16am
A little off topic but I've just read an article that says that ABC television in the U.S. is making a TV series (sitcom?) of The Witches of Eastwick. There will only ever be one good TV witch her name was Samantha and the show was Bewitched!
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#17
Posted: 3/20/09 at 9:12am
I'm thought that they tried this a few years ago - it may even have made it to a pilot - but it was dropped. May this one will be more successful - I can see it being a bizarre Bewitched / Desperate Housewives cross, though I'm not sure if that's a good thing... re: Witches Of Eastwick

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#18
Posted: 3/20/09 at 11:01am
Yeah it was tried a few years back with Marcia Cross (Melrose Place and Desperate Housewives)Kelly Rutherford (Melrose Place and Gossip Girl) and Lori Loughlin (90210) it was simply called Eastwick
It went in to production in 2002 and was screened for the execs at the network Fox but they decided they didnt want it on the the show was shelved, on the 1st episode was filmed and now thats locked in the vaults of Fox

Now ABC The network behind Despearte Housewives and Ugly Betty are filming a new pilot, this time the show will be called The Witches Of Eastwick. The cast includes Rebecca Romnijn (Ugly Betty) Lindsay Price (Lipstick Jungle and Beverley Hills 90210) and Jamie Ry Newman (Mental and Veronica Mars)

sorry, im a tv whore lol
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#19
Posted: 3/20/09 at 11:42am
why did manchester kik the crap out of it ! no offence but if i had written for a southampton i would also have kiked the crap out of it
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#20
Posted: 3/20/09 at 12:12pm
They found the book weak, they said the score only had moments which were good. They didnt like the cast to much (i think more so Pellow), they said the staging was weak and it missed the point of the film completely
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#21
Posted: 3/20/09 at 12:49pm
im going to agree with the critics of manchester ! i dont think its a strong production tbh and if it gets the transfer ill go to see if its got better but unless it changes i dont wanna go again !
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#22
Posted: 3/20/09 at 12:57pm
This is the same paper that praised Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to the rafters, which tells me pretty much everything I need to know about the reviewer re: Witches Of Eastwick If they want to see films directly translated onto stage, perhaps they should stick with unimaginative sh*te like Dirty Dancing.

Personally, I welcome the removal of a lot of the camp and pantomime from the show and, whilst Loose Ends was a lovely song, it came out of nowhere, stopped the second act dead (which is why they needed a 'Who's the Man' / 'Glory of Me' number to get things going again) and was bizarrely sandwiched between a couple of 'hilarious' pantomime murders and a jazzy production number. The substitution of 'A Little Town' with a new number that says and does exactly the same thing is a mystery to me too, but for my money it's neither better nor worse.

The 'unmemorable score' accusation has been made since London and, as a number of the songs stuck in my head the first time I saw it, is not one I have any understanding of (though I'm willing to admit I may be in a minority re: Witches Of Eastwick )

Anyway, I'm seeing it twice in Bristol next week - first with someone who saw the London production a number of times and second with a group who have no prior experience, so I'll see what they all make of it...

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#23
Posted: 3/20/09 at 1:40pm
Chitty is a far better show (sorry)

The Manchester papers are just normally very honest thats why many shows kick start there tours here because they know they will get an honest opinion from the critics and the audiences.

Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Witches Of Eastwick#24
Posted: 3/20/09 at 1:43pm
very true words ! chitty is a much better show ! this is why shows never start in southampton because were to nice and we warm to shows. we are always the middle of the tour or the last stop of the tour