Page: 1

Hull Truck

andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
Hull Truck#1
Posted: 9/23/08 at 3:51pm
My home town theatre is currently part of a major redevelopment in the city and will have a new state of the art home by next spring. The old venue is in its last season and playing truck favourites from over the years. Teechers is on at the minute and is a refreshed version of a great show. So are ther any Godber fans on here, or anyone that gets up to Hull ever? What with its rating in the '50 crappest towns' it does get a bit of an unfair kicking!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hull Truck#2
Posted: 9/23/08 at 4:58pm
I'm really sorry but Godber does nothing for me at all- sentimental and lacking dramatic tension. Still, I know that Hull Truck is a really valuable company and I've always heard great things about the atmosphere/ vitality of the theatre.

You are lucky to have such a thriving venue locally!
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Hull Truck#2
Posted: 9/23/08 at 6:32pm
I like Godber myself, I think he is very good at reflecting life and how people relate to each other. I know they tour alot, but how has his stuff got on in town? Ive seen poster in the fortune for something (maybe up n under?) but I dont know what else has been down there?

Yer, it is great to have it on the doorstep. Itsa great intimate venue, though the artists impressions of the new one look a bit big. I hope it doesnt lose its intimacy. Does anyone get to see any stuff their?
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hull Truck#3
Posted: 9/23/08 at 9:48pm
re: Hull Truck

'Bouncers' was fun in its original production for about 10 years then they went and made it big and sold it to the masses on tour who in the end were who they were taking the piss out of in the original.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 9/24/08 at 09:48 PM
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Hull Truck#4
Posted: 9/25/08 at 5:38am
I haven seen Bouncers yet, but that is down to be the last production in the old theatre this coming spring. has much of his work transferred to London?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hull Truck#5
Posted: 9/25/08 at 5:46am
Both 'Bouncers' and 'Teechers' have had more than one season in London at the old Arts Theatre.
'Up N Under' played the Fortune back in the 90s.
Maria Friedman made a rare appearance in a non musical in 'April In Paris' at the Ambassadors.
'On The Piste' played the Garrick.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hull Truck#6
Posted: 9/25/08 at 5:58am

Nick Berry was in this production.
This is the production that toured then played The Garrick for 9 months.

Updated On: 9/25/08 at 05:58 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hull Truck#7
Posted: 9/25/08 at 6:00am

Short run of 11 weeks

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hull Truck#8
Posted: 9/25/08 at 6:06am

Played the Fortune and was later made into a movie.

andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Hull Truck#9
Posted: 9/25/08 at 6:41am
Thanks for the great posters WKB! I was always surprised that Up n Under was so successful outside of Hull. Im a big rugby fan and so wonder how successful the finer points of it went down, particularly with a Southern Audience?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hull Truck#10
Posted: 9/25/08 at 6:43am
What's rugby????
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hull Truck#11
Posted: 9/25/08 at 6:44am
OK OK i've just had it whispered in my ear- its men with funny shaped balls! OK