Little Night Music Confirms at Menier

Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#2
Posted: 9/18/08 at 3:10pm
As the West End board's biggest Sondhead I should be excited about this.

So why aren't I?
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#2
Posted: 9/18/08 at 3:30pm
Any casting rumours yet?
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#3
Posted: 9/18/08 at 3:45pm
As the West End board's biggest Sondhead

- a little presumptuous, I'd say!!! Perhaps your excitement is being affected by Mr Nunn's string of musical duds of late. I don't anticipate this being a particularly fast-moving staging.

Casting rumour was Emma Thompson, but as Wickedboy said a while back, that seems to have gone quiet of late.

I'd love to see Emma, or Nicola Hughes in the role.

Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#4
Posted: 9/18/08 at 5:55pm
Maybe we should do votes, see what everyone thinks. I'm still confident my "likes Shakespeare a little too much" crown is totally mine all mine, but Sondheim is a rather more popular gentleman around these parts. There may be arm-wrestling!

Oh look, it's closing on my birthday again. This was a leap year, right?
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#5
Posted: 9/18/08 at 6:13pm
I'm unbelievably happy about this (my first chance to see a fully staged sondheim piece, finally! and it's one of my favourites!) but my only problem with it is that it seems that they've chosen trevor nunn to direct...the man behind les mis, the lady in white and gone with the wind. :S I'm just hoping that he doesn't****up too badly, and I'm confident that if it's cast right sondheim's material will stand up well.

But if only they had chosen a better director! my unbelievable happiness would have become as unbelievable as the amount of money some people actually spent on rent remixed!
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#6
Posted: 9/18/08 at 6:25pm
i'd much rather see nikolai direct it!
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#7
Posted: 9/18/08 at 6:28pm
Well, 'Les Mis', 'The Woman in White', and 'Gone With the Wind' were huge, right? I mean physically. I think the entire Menier building would probably fit on the stage of the Palace, restaurant, gallery and all. Unless Nunn's a TOTAL idiot (and I really liked his 'King Lear'), he'll have to adapt his style to the space. The cast will be practically in the audience's lap at the Menier; all the big showboating will be forced out by necessity, and he can sit down and focus on the important parts.

(Let's swap Trevor Nunn and Rupert Goold round! Nunn can go do his thang to 'Oliver!', and Rupert Goold can inject some insanity into ALNM! No? Well, it was just a thought... ^_^)
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#8
Posted: 9/18/08 at 6:45pm
Screw it, let's bring in zandra rhodes! she'll do something fun with it, even if it's not something that good. :P

In fact, we should bring in akhram khan and juliette binoche to do an interval piece of entertainment. they could do in-i a favour and cut it down to around 5 minutes, and then as filler it would have its real place.

(I didn't like that show. re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier )
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#9
Posted: 9/19/08 at 8:15am
"a little presumptuous, I'd say."

Very presumptuous! I'll win the arm-wrestle with Weez 'cos Follies has clicked with me, but as for taking on Dev I'm not sure. What are your biceps like Dev?

I'm with Tommyslim on wanting to see Nikolai direct it. Rupert Goold, Zandra Rhodes (although Paul Kerryson did a surreal version at Leicester a few years ago) too; anyone but Trevor.

I can just see Madame Armfeldt stepping out of her wheelchair to lead the cast in a great march-to-the-footlights during A Weekend in the Country.

Updated On: 9/19/08 at 08:15 AM
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#10
Posted: 9/19/08 at 6:46pm
So anyway, I had a thought this afternoon. Now, I don't know this show at all, but are there any parts for a baritone about 50 years of age? 'Cos I can think of an actor who kicks ass at Sondheim, could easily have been in another show this winter but isn't, and has worked at the Chocolate Factory before. And if there's a part that fits, then this project is elevated from "ooh, I should see that" to "OMG I MUST SEE THAT!".

It's a theory rather than a rumour. More wishful thinking than theory. Can someone who knows the show please let me know if I should sit down and shut up now, or if there is a little hope for this theory to go a little further?
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#11
Posted: 9/20/08 at 4:49am
Hmmmmm, now let me guess - I don't think we're talking Hugh Laurie here, are we Weez? Could it possibly be Philip Quast you're thinking of?

Well, he would be the right age for the lead part of Fredrik. But Fredrik (or Frederick, or Fredric, depending on which CD cover or programme you're reading) isn't a demanding singing role, from what little I, as a non-musician, understand of these things. But casting a baritone (and capable actor) such as Philip Quast in the role would certainly do no harm.

Methinks you have a good hunch.
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#12
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:47am
Continuing to steal shamelessly from the SSS discussion board, tickets are apparently going on sale for ALNM in a week and a half or so.
If Maria was in it, that would be a real treat.
Trevor Nunn may spread himself a bit thin, but Oklahoma at the Olivier and The Cherry Orchard at the Cottesloe were two of my best theatrical experiences.
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#13
Posted: 9/21/08 at 12:11pm
abitoftap: Shhhhhhhh. Don't keep refering to the SSS discussion board otherwise all the sockpuppets from the Broadway Board will find it and ruin it. You've probably noticed that I post on there.

The Society does have a direct line into God (and I don't mean Wickedboy2) so that board does drop the occasional exclusive. It published the proposed Menier Night Music about a year before everyone else got hold of it. The Society have had their matinee block-booking for this for a couple of months now.
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#14
Posted: 9/21/08 at 12:16pm
As much as I like Maria Friedman, and I loved her in both Sweeney Todd and her solo show at the menier, I really hope she doesn't get cast as Desirée. I just feel her voice would be rather ill suited to the role, personally.
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#15
Posted: 9/21/08 at 1:41pm
So I'll continue to steal shamelessly but not acknowledge my sources in future...and how can anyone not love Follies!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#16
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:10pm
I once worked on a show visited by the SSS. That was intense to say the least!

I dared to say I didn't know whether the backwards structure in Merrily worked effectively, and almost got lynched!

abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#17
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:17pm
I was a member of the SSS for a few years, until I got the hang of this internet thing.
We did once spot some members on an outing at that firetrap of a place off Fleet Street, when they did Anyone can whistle. Name badges and looking scary....
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#18
Posted: 9/21/08 at 3:05pm
They sound a little frightening. Are we actually the least-scary UK-based (ish) theatre discussion board? O_O
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#19
Posted: 9/22/08 at 9:11am
By far! x
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#20
Posted: 9/22/08 at 9:16am
We really are. There's a high tweenie factor at WoS and Dress Circle has a disproportionate number of bitter queens.

Everyone here's super friendly though.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 11:32am
Perhaps we should employ some form of vetting for new members in future.

Perhaps WBoy or SADM2 could cast a weather eye over prospective applicants :)
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#22
Posted: 9/22/08 at 1:07pm
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier

I'll cast a casting eye over future auditionees for you! lol

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 9/22/08 at 01:07 PM
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#23
Posted: 9/22/08 at 2:19pm
Errrrrr - ahem.

*Scripps prepares to come out*

I am a member of the SSS and have been for several years.

I was with them at Bridewell's Anyone Can Whistle, though I always forget to wear my name-badge.

Dev - which show was it that you worked on - I may have been part of the lynch mob.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Little Night Music Confirms at Menier#24
Posted: 9/22/08 at 6:35pm
That picture is truly horrible.

It was a 'Sweeney Todd' in Salisbury. The lovely Marilyn Cutts was a fantastic Mrs Lovett.