Page: 1

elaine paige as mrs lovett

tenorboyo Profile Phototenorboyo Profile Photo
tenorboyo
Stand-by
Stand-by
elaine paige as mrs lovett#1
Posted: 9/15/08 at 4:09am
does anyone know where or when miss paige played this role? and what it was like??? couldnt find any footage anywhere, and hal prince just said she and angela lansbury were the best mrs lovetts'. on her radio show...
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: elaine paige as mrs lovett#2
Posted: 9/15/08 at 4:39am
re: elaine paige as mrs lovett

New York 2004.
She played Mrs Lovett in a short season with the New York City Opera Company.
The production ran at the New York State Theatre from 9th March thru 31st.
Previews began 3rd March with the opening on the 9th.
Direction was by Harold Prince.
Reviews were very nearly all raves from the U.S press and she was nominated for a Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Performance By An Actress In A Musical.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 9/15/08 at 04:39 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: elaine paige as mrs lovett#2
Posted: 9/15/08 at 12:24pm
I've seen the production- but I hate it when Sweeney is performed as an opera. It is melodrama- a lovely populist street form and is best served rough and ready, like Mrs L's pies.

That's why Julia MacKenzie is the greatest Mrs Lovett in my humble.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: elaine paige as mrs lovett#3
Posted: 9/15/08 at 1:31pm
I can take Sweeney in any of its forms and would have loved to have seen Elaine in this role. She looks great in the photo.

You never get the perfect production of Sweeney. It needs great singers and an enormous orchestra (the Opera North production obliged nicely and the Royal Festival Hall did as well, bar a couple of performances) but it also needs great actors, and the level of greatness in terms of voice and acting ability have never combined to my satisfaction. When you get great acting it tends to be in small scale productions with small orchestras. The original Drury Lane production was the closest to perfection and few others have come close, although I have a particular respect and fondness for Twink's 1996 Leceister Haymarket production and the Opera North production a few years later.
tenorboyo Profile Phototenorboyo Profile Photo
tenorboyo
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: elaine paige as mrs lovett#4
Posted: 9/15/08 at 5:55pm
thankyou one and all for the info, much appreciated. and yes, she does look great in the photo!