'Rent' Fully Paid Up.

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#1
Posted: 9/7/08 at 5:45am
'Rent' Fully Paid Up.

The final performance of 'Rent' will be performed on Broadway today after a run of 12 years.
An amazing run that will be lovingly remember in the very distant future along with 'A Chorus Line' and others.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 9/7/08 at 05:45 AM
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#2
Posted: 9/7/08 at 6:17am
It really is sad to see a show of 12 years close. I know shows will all close eventually, but its quite a strange feeling that Rent just won't be on Broadway anymore. It will deffinitely be remembered for many many years to come!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#2
Posted: 9/7/08 at 6:36am
I remember getting a comp early into the Shaftesbury run. I had had the cd for ages but, skipping tracks, I had somehow managed to only hear the telephone calls. I thought "pile of crap" and so the cd stayed on the shelf unplayed.

Well, it was a sunny September(?) Saturday afternoon- about 400 people in ,max- and I think I was meant to be seeing something else in the evening.

What can I say? Adam P, Anthony R, the divine, crazy Kristin Cummings- I was utterly blown away that first time.

I saw the original London production 3 times in all, but nothing comes close to the thrill of discovery that amazing Saturday afternoon.

(And especially the stunning cross lighting of One Song Glory :)!!!)
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#3
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:01am
"I had had the cd for ages but, skipping tracks, I had somehow managed to only hear the telephone calls."

HAHA!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#4
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:10am
I remember on many occasions after buying the CD trying to get into this new show that the world was going crazy for but after so many tries we gave up. As no interest had build up for me I didn't even go to see it on two trips to New York. Then I found myself in Boston to see Faye Dunaway in 'Master Class'. Playing in the Shubert across the road was the very first national tour of 'Rent' and with nothing to do one evening i actually got a seat on my own in a box, side stage.
I was completely blown away and was an emotional wreck at curtain down.
On my return home i played the CD and was able to put the story across to my then partner (who later played in the London production) and suddenly this CD was on all day, all night, for months. We eventually got to see the Broadway production just a few weeks later.
Sadly, these days the show does very little for me. Maybe just a case of overkill?
I enjoyed the movie but wasn't moved in any way by it and we best not mention what was in the West End recently!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#5
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:21am
I'm going to miss the good times =(

To be fair though, it really has had its day and by taking it off Broadway it's doing more justice to the show than just let it plod on indefinitely.

The productions had a wee kiss of life in the recent months leading up to the close, so at least it's going out with a bang...I'm also VERY happy that Tracie Thoms got her dream to star in the show before it disappeared into the lands of tours and high school productions.

I'm really hoping/counting on the fact they'll release the final performance on DVD with tons of 'bonus features' to keep me happy. I guess they'd probably do it for Christmas? Hm...

Anyways, the show means a hell of a lot to me...mostly because it came at a time when I realized who I was/where I wanted to go/how much I loved musical theatre.

I even went as far as getting '525,600' tattooed on my wrist to mark the time.

/end of seriousness.

Rent we hardly knew ye...well, we kind of did after 12 years...
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#6
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:23am
my first Rent experience was the film, i went to the cinema cause i was uber bored, and i was the only person in there!! not one other soul was in that screen. Unlike you wickedboy i was moved, mainly due to Rosario Dawsons performance, i thought she was amazing in that film. Then i bought the Broadway Cast Recording and was even more blown away!

So up popped Rent: We're Doing This to Satisfy Our Fetish of Our Cast in Bondage, and so i went to see it and as harsh as everyone is about it, quite enjoyed it, as a night out.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#7
Posted: 9/7/08 at 9:21am
I am glad we are doing a tribute to a great show and a special vision from Larson who heralded a new era in Broadway, which had an everlasting effect on a lot of theatre goers lives!

I saw Rent for the first time in New York last year, I went because ths show is irconic and wanted to see what all the fuss was about, I did not really enjoy the show as some of the music went a bit over my head, I would of benefited from hearing some of the songs before I went, I would like to do this now and see the show again. this show for me is work in progress, which regrettable, I will never be able to complete.

Possibly I could of been a Renthead.

I have utter respect for this show and what it achieved.

I am not a fully paid up member with regrets.

Updated On: 9/7/08 at 09:21 AM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#8
Posted: 9/7/08 at 9:50am
It did nothing for me.
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#9
Posted: 9/7/08 at 9:57am
Damn, I'm gutted I never got to see it re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up. I'll certainly see it in some form in the future no matter what, but shame it's not gonna be at the heart of Broadway itself.
Everything in life...is only for now.
Bluejay2 Profile PhotoBluejay2 Profile Photo
Bluejay2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#10
Posted: 9/7/08 at 4:16pm
What can I say? Althought it seems silly today I felt a little bit sad that Rent was closing. It'a a show that I really loved, I was lucky enough to see the short-lived Italian production and loved every second of it, when I feel down I put in my stereo the OBC and I feel better.

Toanythingtaboo I really hope that a dvd of the final performance will be made too
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#11
Posted: 9/7/08 at 4:21pm
The show was filmed in its entirety back in August, that and tonight's final performance will be edited to make a cinematic presentation of the full stage show. This will be screened in very select locations in the U.S at the end of September /begining of October for a 4 day period.
Sony BMG have stated that a DVD of this, together with a full list of extras to be confirmed, will be released on DVD in Spring 2009.
Updated On: 9/7/08 at 04:21 PM
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#12
Posted: 9/7/08 at 5:08pm
You have just made my day Wickedboy!

Such a hero!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#13
Posted: 9/7/08 at 7:44pm
A very sad day, and one of my fave shows

This show means so much to me and has so many great moments attached.It truly is one which will love on in the history books

No Day But Today
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
stupidbeans
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#14
Posted: 9/7/08 at 9:12pm
goodbye love
"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#15
Posted: 9/7/08 at 10:32pm
This is a show that has really touched me. It honestly hasn't hit me that Rent has closed or is no longer on Broadway. But, I feel like when it does it will hit me hard. I have enjoyed it for a long period of time and I am VERY sad to see it go.

I do hope that the spring 2009 DVD release is also the release time for the DVD in the states because I would love to have this to keep forever. I will say that I am wondering if they will wait for the tour with Adam and Anthony to finish up before they release Rent on DVD.

This is something that I would like to own that way I can share it with my kids someday.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#16
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:20am
I've heard of a March 09 release on DVD and special screenings for UK DVD retailers around December
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#17
Posted: 9/8/08 at 5:48am
.....there ya go...the DVD man has spoken! x
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rent' Fully Paid Up.#18
Posted: 9/8/08 at 12:46pm
And why can't more successful shows do this when they close?

I still want my dvd of the OBC of Dreamgirls on stage. Well a legit one :)