Page: 1

Dave's first west end show. Rain Man-with photos

dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Dave's first west end show. Rain Man-with photos

So Tonight's showing of Rain Man was my first experience in the west end, and granted that it was a preview, I hope that things get much better than this. Overall, almost everything about this play was rather mediocre, from awful American accents that slipped in an out, particularly Mary Sockley and Tily Blackwood. The music in between scenes screams low budget (synthesized?), and seems not to fit the film.

I have not seen the film Rain Man, and perhaps that was best. I was pretty engrossed in the story, but that was mainly due to one man: Adam Godley. His fantastic portrayal of the autistic brother was touching, believable, and his delivery was perfect. If only his costar had fared as well. Josh Hartnett, teen hearthrob from pearl harbor, 30 days of night, and 40 days and 40 nights, makes his debut and it feels just that: a debut. He flubbed his lines throughout the play, and did catch his stride eventually, but seemed rather forced much of the time. I think he will grow into the role, but in previews it was rough going. Meanwhile, the stage hands don't seem to have gotten their jobs down either, as during one scene, one could clearly see and here a table scraping across the stage. Annoying and distracting.
The rather bland set seems to make poor use of the stage. while scenes transition nicely, they seem to be stuck on the far left(stage right?), something that was almost completely out of my view and almost half of the theater's view. The audience didn't care anyway since most were rather rude, bringing full meals into the theater or getting trashed on all the wine they brought.

Did I enjoy this play? It may not seem so but I did, if only because of Godley. He was a revelation on stage, and he works perfectly with Hartnett. If anything Hartnett is a name to bring people in to discover Godley. Regardless, this felt like a film to me and I think it probably works better as one. There are some truly entertaining scenes, but they don't occupy enough of the film's 2 hours and 20 minutes to justify a top ticket price.

dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for posting Dave. Do let us know how the rest of your trip goes.
iluvcioffiiluvtea23 Profile Photoiluvcioffiiluvtea23 Profile Photo
iluvcioffiiluvtea23
Stand-by
Stand-by
Thank you for posting!
http://finiansrainbowforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
F*** isnt he gorge!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
UPDATE-show's opening postponed
Well i think the producers made a smart move. This show needs more work. Josh, stop banging girls in the library and go practice your lines!
Click here
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They obviously have major problems because when they first cancelled the first previews they actually kept the original opening date.
Now the opening has been delayed by over a week it just shows they have some work to do before the critics get to it.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The first of those problems is josh. He really feels like an amateur on stage. Also, the whole production itself felt very shaky to me, as if it might fall apart at any moment.

I hope for there sake that they can pull it together.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That character has to very strong, confident and cocky.
Far from my favorite movie I must admit and this is one production I wont be going to.
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
yes, and not someone who flubs lines re: Dave's first west end show. Rain Man-with photos Josh hit his stride every once and while, but it was a long way to that point.

Regardless, the whole thing just feels unnecessary. Any recommendations for what I should see? This class takes me to a live performance a week, but i dont know what we are going to yet.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Brief Encounter' *see the threads on here about this show! Amazing!
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
So today in class we were handed an email that my teacher recieved (he is a correspondent for several different newspapers) going against the article in the daily mail saying that Josh Hartnett caused the first director to leave. Isn' it funny how this show has kind of taken on a life of it's own here. They also stated that anyone who printed that would face legal action. HMMMMMMM...There is so much drama surrounding this production I love it.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good thing is only booking 12 weeks. Things have closed in less time so who knows with this one?
Its just a shame he isn't a bit younger and he could have done 'Equus'
Updated On: 9/8/08 at 03:35 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OK OK I've just slapped myself for that last comment!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Have you managed to get tickets for Billy Elliot?
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sadly not yet. I am going to try this weekend, but I am not sure about this day que thing. Up next are..Maugurite (tommorrow 2:30pm) Wicked next wednesday (2:30pm) War Horse that night, and next Thursday night Under the Blue Sky.