Page: 1

'A Tale Of Two Cities' -The Broadway Bore

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'A Tale Of Two Cities' -The Broadway Bore

Saw a preview of this on Tues night.
I cant begin, and I wont try, to explain to you what a bore the entire production is.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
was it that bad wickedboy the set and costumes looks really good but i suppsose its more about how performers tell you the story through there character and the score and lyrics
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I though that the show was very good. I loved the music and the lyrics and the costumes and sets. The people around me at the theatre loved it as well. James Barbour and Natalie Toro both gave great performances. What bothers me is that people are calling it Les Miserables light. When in fact both shows are to totally different monsters. I find that the people who are calling it Les Miserables light refused to look at this show as its own thing.

I saw this show twice and if it weren't for me being in college I would go back a third time. It is on my list of shows to see when I get back to NYC.

My feeling is that this is a show that will get mixed reviews by the critics but will get good word of mouth. My reasoning for saying this is that like I said, this has been getting good buzz from the audiences at intermission and after the show has ended.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry but I disagree. I thought everything about it was fantastic!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Are you back out there WB, this must be your 3rd trip this year.
Is this business or pleasure?
I might have to give my New York New York thread a bump now!
I am both envious and jealous of you!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's his job - the jammy sod!

I bet he gets to stay at the Waldorf Astoria as well.
Updated On: 9/4/08 at 08:12 PM
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Natalie Toro is in this?

That alone would make it worth slogging through a night if I could get cheap tickets. The woman is awesome.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh i wish!
I stay with a friend on 6th and 17th. Thats been my residence since 1992.

Anyone wanna join me then please ask and we'll.... well you know!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
JIJane
Stand-by
Stand-by
Paul Nicholas is producing and directing a production of this (different composer and script to Broadway version) Upstairs at the Gatehouse, they are currently in rehearsals.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yea its a sets and costume show. Thats not what most people pay hard earned money for. The music is what can be heard in the lift of Harvey Nics every day. Bland, boring and beyond me how this is sitting on Broadway.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I disagree. I thought everything about that show was well done. The costumes as well as the sets and the music. Very beautiful very well written.

I think your upset that there wasn't a tune that you could hum on your way out of the theatre. I think that the reason why there wasn't a song like that in this show is because there wasn't a constnat musical theme or a theme or tune that you heard a couple of time through out the show that gets drilled into your head.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jez! I never go into a show expecting to leave humming the numbers come on, but this was just dire!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
....and I'm unanimous in that!

alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There's something very outdated and, um....1980's about this venture.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is interesting, there have been people on the Broadway board who were calling this show "Les Miserables Light" just because it is based on a book that takes place in the same time period as Les Miserables, and is in the same style of the 1980's mega musicals.

There were people who called it that because they didn't give the show a fair chance and they didn't even see the show. So, they really couldn't have given a fair judgment on it.

There were others who based on what they read on the Broadway board thought it would be very Les Miserables esq. But, left the theatre thinking the total opposite that it its own show that can and does stand up on its own two feet. This is the view point that I agree with.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The demo recording certainly did not inspire me! I assumed it featured all the songs cut from Bloublil/ Schoenberg shows of the past 20 years.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had the demo a few weeks ago and Sadly on Tuesday night I had no option but to see the show. It was as boring as the demo is!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WickedBoy are you back from New York, did you see anything else out there?

I am getting an itch to go out there again, I would like to see South Paciffic, In the Heights, Shrek (when it opens) 9-5 (when it opens), be cool to see the New York production of Billy Elliot, for a matinee show, be interesting to see the story of my life, when it opens as well.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Im back!
Got back on Thurs. It was just a quick one, not business this time. Just the one show I'm afraid but plan another trip in October.
It was the reading of a will which was interesting to say the least!!!!!!
Updated On: 9/6/08 at 06:42 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You had the audacity to go to New York to see one show! Think of you carbon footprint, so we can blame you for all this rain! lol.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL
Let it rain let it rain let it rain!
I didnt go to see a show- i went for the reading of a will!
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I find it interesting that no matter what your in NYC for Wickedboy you always manage to sneak a show in.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You bet!
We landed on Tues at Newark and got to the apartment at 7.15pm. By 7.30pm we were in a taxi and we walked into the theate at 7.50pm!
By 8.15pm i was wanting to walk out but I've covered that earlier!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Reviews are out!
Well we wont be seeing this show in this city!