Joseph

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Joseph#1
Posted: 8/30/08 at 6:47pm
Just to advise, if anyone is interested that lastminute.com are doing top price tickets for 35.00, which represents 10 off on Monday to Thursday evenings until October 16 (I guess Im half term istarts then!!!!!!!!!!!)

Link below.

http://www.lastminute.com/site/entertainment/event-product.html?skin=engb.lastminute.com&eventID=495626095-1&dayVal=0&keyword=I+don%27t+mind&eventType=1&catID=94226&maxPrice=&monthVal=0&location=london&dateAllowance=&searchRadius=&numTickets=1&sortBy=defaultDSC
Updated On: 8/30/08 at 06:47 PM
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Joseph#2
Posted: 8/30/08 at 6:54pm
Half term starts a week later than that...
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#2
Posted: 9/4/08 at 6:51pm
I saw this show tonight on the above offer; I was seated in O8 in the stalls.

I have not seen Lee Mead live, I would not like to slag him off, as he has a good voice and there is a lot of hype because of the 'Any Dream will do' TV programme, so expected a anti climax, where he is expected to be something he couldn't, he was very good though.

I had real issues with the staging as it felt claustrophobic, and one you could use for a small local theatre tour, the one amazing scene was where he rose in the air, but dare say this is possible to do in a small theatre, did not feel like a grand London production!

The show raised some questions though.

Would the staging be build brand new for this show, or do they store staging from the older Palladium or New London production and ue that again? Similar will they also do the same thing with Oliver?

Where did Joseph play before The Palladium or New London production?

I noticed a new song and not on older soundtracks, this song is King of my Heart, is this a new song written for this production?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#3
Posted: 9/4/08 at 6:52pm
I saw this show tonight on the above offer; I was seated in O8 in the stalls.

I have not seen Lee Mead live, I would not like to slag him off, as he has a good voice and there is a lot of hype because of the 'Any Dream will do' TV programme, so expected a anti climax, where he is expected to be something he couldn't, he was very good though.

I had real issues with the staging as it felt claustrophobic, and one you could use for a small local theatre tour, the one amazing scene was where he rose in the air, but dare say this is possible to do in a small theatre, did not feel like a grand London production!

The show raised some questions though.

Would the staging be build brand new for this show, or do they store staging from the older Palladium or New London production and ue that again? Similar will they also do the same thing with Oliver?

Where did Joseph play before The Palladium or New London production?

I noticed a new song and not on older soundtracks, this song is King of my Heart, is this a new song written for this production?
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#4
Posted: 9/4/08 at 7:03pm
Knowing Really Useful, they probably paid to store the sets. The more money a producer or production makes, the more they can afford to do something like that - and as you point out, it's a pretty simple design so they likely got their money by taking those sets on the last tour as well and cleaning them up.

No idea where Joseph ran in the West End pre-91.

King of My Heart is indeed new for this production. More padding for Act Two, huzzah.
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Joseph#5
Posted: 9/6/08 at 10:08am
ALW wrote King of My Heart 'specially for Dean Collinson.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#6
Posted: 9/6/08 at 11:53am
The production you see at The Adelphi is a re-staging of the London Palladium production. With the huge size of the Palladium stage compared to that of the Adelphi will explain why you said it looked claustrophobic!
All that money and punlicity and they couldnt give the public a new production!!!
Same is being done with the future production of 'Oliver!'
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#7
Posted: 9/6/08 at 1:47pm
Will be interesting to see who they get when Lee Mead leaves. Ive heard one person ALW is supposedly wooing which I cant say but put it this way they would sell it out no question with the under 16 market, however I cant imagine the actor would want to take over a role in a revival.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#8
Posted: 9/6/08 at 5:01pm
Cheers Wickedboy, so they are just reusing this set that has been in some warehouse? what have they do with the set from the New London production? As I said the set for the latest production looks claustrophobic and I would of thought that it would of looked more so at the Palladium? Would this small set be capable of touring?

I am still keen to find out where Joseph played before the Palladium? I know it played in New York at the Royale Theatre for what I think was between 400 and 500 performances?

Princeton thinks he is on a hot thing, but it is common knowledge that Michael Fish is to become the new Joseph!
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#9
Posted: 9/6/08 at 5:38pm
The New London production was put on by Bill Kenwright, not RUG, so its set is probably being used for the current tour.
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Joseph#10
Posted: 9/6/08 at 6:01pm
exedore you are correct lol - 2 there are 2 BKL touring sets now - we referred to them as skinny steps & chunky steps (the london with hydraulic sheep!).
The set that is touring now is a believe a mixture of the two - New London production and the original tour (yes its STILL the same original touring set)

they have i believe built new steps tho and have copied the new london design but taken out the inflatable sheep and cacti. The stage floor is the orignal one that houses the mouse and spade track which brings the stairs from the back rather than the floor and the light columns have also been shipped onto tour....the nodding egyptian dogs have never been used on any tour lol......so basically everything is rusty and dusty but they'll keep using anyway...until it phiscally falls to pieces!
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Joseph#11
Posted: 9/6/08 at 6:52pm
I think Joseph works well on the cheap tour, I really don't mind paying a few pounds to see it in Southsea rather than the big prices in London. I have seen both productions (current tour and London) and even the London one isn't too flashy.
Bring back Philip Schofield I say.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#12
Posted: 9/6/08 at 9:24pm
The two productions are so different we shouldn't really be talking about them in the same thread!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Joseph#13
Posted: 9/7/08 at 8:23am
I got obliged into taking my niece and nephew to the Joseph tour, not that I really minded as they're great fun! But I would much rather have taken them to the Adelphi if it had been feasible. I cringed a bit in places, but they loved it, and I loved that they enjoyed it. So it was hardly a bad experience. But you have to take it for what it is. While the Adelphi version doesn't give itself pretensions, the tour takes that to a whole different level.

And the Princeton "he who cannot be named" one re who ALW is purportedly wooing to take over from Lee Mead, isn't exactly a secret. Zac Efron would indeed get the teen and tween audience in, in droves. And if they want/have to extend Joseph until feasible for the Phantom sequel to take over, then they are going to have to pull a stunt casting of some kind. But is that really likely the one?

I don't really get Zac Efron either, but then I'm not a 12 year old. And it's partly possibly also because I can't get over thinking he looks like a weasel. Not that I don't like weasels, I do, but it rather overpowers my perception of him. And isn't he a bit terribly tiny?
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Joseph#14
Posted: 9/8/08 at 7:55am
Oh Wicked one, appreciate that you obviously can't confirm specifics, but are you in the know about who is to take over as Joseph?

Am not too comfortable with the possibility/rumour of Zac Efron, myself, but have heard that the kids in the show have been told he is to take over.

They originally said the announcement re "whoever" was imminent ages ago. What possibility that they are now waiting on the opportunity of the concert next week?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#15
Posted: 9/8/08 at 8:00am
We were contacted 5 weeks ago regarding the recasting-IF IT WAS HAPPENING- the name that was put to us then has fallen by the wayside (prob for the best!). A little later we were told it would be Zac Effron. So there you go- its kind of common knowledge but not yet from the horses mouth as it were! I'm not confirming it here but.......
that box office is going to go mental!
This has all been rather fast casting as you must remember the theatre staff and company were told the show would close Jan 10th and that is how it stood for 2 months!
The contracts we had to handle have now been finalized and I have no more contact with this show.

**2 hours after i posted this post we had an email explaining that he has now actually signed and will open 2 weeks after Lee Mead leaves, his contract is rumored to be until MId May!
Updated On: 9/8/08 at 08:00 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#16
Posted: 9/8/08 at 3:39pm
I know someone who is 35 who has never heard of him, who is he?

If he is a big draw, might coincide with another announcement nicely which has come out from The Lord, that Phantom 2 is delayed until early 2009, bodes well big box office rush to take Joseph up until November, then Phantom 2 opens early next year, oh I could cynacle though!
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Joseph#17
Posted: 9/8/08 at 4:35pm
Oooohh!

And it was alright that you have said so, Wicked one, before it's official? Or before being announced anyway. Or is that a reflection of incredibly imminent announcement due?

I have noticed that WOS has now picked up on it, not that that is always reliable. One of the last things they picked up on was the Denise Van Outen in line to be Christine in the sequel thing, lol, which had to be a load of hooey. But the RUG decided they needed to officially squash that nonsensical rumour very quickly. No such action re Zac.

Out of curiosity, will you ever be able to say who the nearly Joseph was who it was just as well fell through?
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Joseph#18
Posted: 9/8/08 at 4:56pm
This is so random.

Like, he has so much going for him right now...he could be making so much money and milking the teen movies for all their worth, instead he's heading to the West End for a mediocre show.

Usually a move for has been actors with dwindling careers?

Strange. What is he thinking haha?

I'm actually having a trip down at the beginning of May, so I might have to catch him in it.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#19
Posted: 9/8/08 at 5:10pm
Why waste a date for a show by seeing this?
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Joseph#20
Posted: 9/8/08 at 6:10pm
Because if Efron goes in and I don't take my niece to see it, she'll never speak to me again. Which would be nice and peaceful, for she is VERY talkative, but I'm sure I'd miss her after a while. re: Joseph
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Joseph#21
Posted: 9/8/08 at 6:30pm
I am solely going for seeing him in a loincloth...maybe stalking him at the stage door.
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Joseph#22
Posted: 9/8/08 at 8:21pm
I have a sneaking soft spot for Joseph, on the quiet. It's not half as bad as people like to pretend, just because it's the done thing to be seen to be down on anything ALW for the sake of it. And there are worse ways to spend your money than to effectively buy a huge grin that sticks for ages. It is very entertaining, and Lee Mead's been lovely, and is very very easy on the eye. But in many ways, Zac Efron is probably closer to what ALW originally envisaged. He is much more "pop" in voice, and he is very, very young, which ALW seems to like. And there is no question that the box office will go crazy, but although he is growing up fast, he is still very much a boy with the promise of being quite a sexy man without actually being one. And his appeal is very much at that level, most notably to the pre-teens and early teens. It is all going to be about sqealing tweens as having to be brought along by doting parent or other. It will certainly be different! I am very vaguely curious, but unless I get obliged, I don't think I will bother.

It will be interesting to see what he actually does in terms of performances per week though. I might be doing him a disservice, as for only 3 months (with a break to boot I would think) I suspect he won't appreciate what hard graft 8 shows a week is.
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Joseph#23
Posted: 9/8/08 at 8:28pm
I was in the kids chorus when the show stopped by in Edinburgh, it was such a laugh...so the show brings back memories of good times.

I like the show, it's not trying to be anything its not, just a bit of fun for the family.

I agree, it does buy you a grin!

RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Joseph#24
Posted: 9/9/08 at 2:20am
I've seen it *cough* a few times, and please please please can it NOT be Zac Efron?! I'm nearly 16 and I find the idea of him in a loincloth disturbing o_O