Page: 1

Cabaret Tour - Cast

luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cabaret Tour - Cast#1
Posted: 8/28/08 at 7:22am
Well the tour starts tomorrow. Seeing the show in Bristol on the 20th of September. Got to be honest, I enjoyed this very much in London and am looking forward to seeing it with a different cast, however I'm praying to anybody who's up there that Sam Barks is sick that night, as I did NOT like her! Here's the full cast for anybody who's interested:

Emcee-Wayne Sleep
Sally Bowles-Samantha Barks
Fraulein Schneider-Jenny Logan
Herr Schultz-Matt Zimmerman
Clifford Bradshaw-Henry Luxemburg
Ernst Ludwig-Karl Moffatt
Fraulein Kost-Suanne Braun
Hans(Young Nazi)-Theo Cook
Fritzie-Danni Bowen
Victor-Benjamin Timothy
Rosie-Nouska Hanly
Texas-Cydney Uffindell-Phillips
Frenchie-Jessica Ellen
Hamburg Helmut-Tom Woods
Rudy-Alistair Postlewaite
Helga-Lucy James
Bobby-Hendrick January
Lulu-Rebecca Scarrott

Thoughts?
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#2
Posted: 8/28/08 at 9:44am
Same thought as ever: a 17 year old Sally Bowles? I don't think she even has the necessary life or acting experience for Juliet, a 13 year old, so I SERIOUSLY doubt she'll be anything near convincing. I'll pass, thanks.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#2
Posted: 8/28/08 at 10:27am
A cheap West End production going out on an even cheaper touring budget!
Is it possible to get excited about this?
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#3
Posted: 8/28/08 at 10:37am
I think she will do murder to Maybe This Time. She was really bad at portraying emotion through songs, and Maybe This Time is pretty emotional. The same for Cabaret, what a song, and a 17 year-old cannot do that right. Some adult professionals have trouble with that song, hate to think how a barely experienced 17 year-old girl will handle it, scratch that, she won't! All I can say is Barry Humphries will be excited to see her traipsing around in revealing clothes again. Also she can dance. What is Wayne Sleep's Emcee like? This will be diabolical if the Emcee isn't any good, because it's already known we have a bad Sally.
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#4
Posted: 8/28/08 at 10:39am
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast

Sorry, but Sally is a worn out old whore, full of lifes experiences and this cannot be pulled off by a 17 year old.
Kenwiright got her on the (very) cheap.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 8/28/08 at 10:39 AM
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#5
Posted: 8/28/08 at 1:56pm
i love this musical soo much, and to think i was disheartened when the rumour was Jessie was playing Sally. But seriously casting Sam is some kind of August fools joke right?
This is deffinitely 30 that isnt leaving my account!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#6
Posted: 8/28/08 at 3:46pm
Seeing an early preview this weekend so will post my thoughts. I loved this production when it first opened so it will be interesting to see how the tour compares
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#7
Posted: 8/29/08 at 3:40pm
Interesting to see West End stalwarts Matt Zimmerman (who was in everything back in the 80s) and Jenny Logan in the supporting cast.

I doubt I'll be going to see it though - I saw it a couple of times in the West End and didn't rate the production. I didn't even rate the much talked about nudity.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#8
Posted: 8/29/08 at 10:10pm
Matt Zimmerman! Is he still alive ? My god!
As Scripps said, he was in everything in the 80s
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#9
Posted: 8/30/08 at 7:28am
Opened yesterday in Birmingham, anybody catch it? Thoughts on Sam?
As I said before, I loved this production and can't wait to see it again. As much as I loathe Samantha, might be interesting to see what she does with Sally, but in total agreement with Wickeboy in saying that Sally is a worn out old whore, not some 17 year old highly rated by Barry Humphries because of her boobs!
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#10
Posted: 8/30/08 at 12:50pm
luke-h, Cabaret is one of your favourite shows right? (Getting to know you thread was useful!) Wont you be put of the show after the lil inexperienced, one facial expression for every emotion, girl otherwise known as Samantha, has played Sally Bowles? Its not like the production value is gonna be very high if Kenwrights string f ouring shows are anything to go bye..! just a though :)
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#11
Posted: 8/31/08 at 5:29am
Ok I saw this, admittedly at a very earl preview so allowances can be made to an extent, however everything I Ioved about the revival in London is gone. We now have new choreography, different set design, and questionable cast.

there is one big exception, Sam Barks as Sally is actually very good. Yes you do have to get over the fact that shes young, but she acts it well (not as brilliant as Anna Maxwell Martin, but still good) and sings brilliantly, her 'Cabaret' was quite something and made it her own. The stage lit up when she came on, she does have presence and to me she has something about her that I think she could last, shed make an excellent Roxie I think, she has so much sex appeal and a cracking voice.

Wayne Sleep was very hard to understand during much of it, and for some reason the MC didnt seem like a big part in this. He kinda reminded me ofthe Penguin in Batman Returns. He didnt have any real presence, and to be honest I just felt a bit sorry for him. During 'Through My Eyes' he did take control of that number and interacted with the audience, but overall I was disappointed.

Jenny Logan as Fraulein Schneider was too ditzy and dotty for my liking, not a patch on Sheila Hancock, and Matt Zimmerman was something of nothing.

The ensemble seemed even smaller than in London, I think it is the same cast szie but for some reason it just doesnt fill the stage. Also you can tell they are all newly out of college or whatever, and not meaning to sound harsh, but not as fit or sexy as the London ensemble.

The Choreography, so different and sexy in London is a pale immitation and almost amateurish.

I dont know why they changed the set design as it looked fine in London and wasnt exactly complex. Its not a huge difference, but it is different none the less.

The biggest problem this will have on tour is when it goes to the number 1 venues it will get lost on those big stages.
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#12
Posted: 8/31/08 at 8:46am
Such a shame about changing the choreography, and I adored that set! Are the costumes still the same? I hope so, they were very good I thought.

Regarding your comment legallysam I completely understand what you mean, however I'm very interested in seeing all different versions of my favourite shows, and if this tour is really that bad I'm sure I'll be able to overlook it. I will possibly despise Sam as Sally, as I despised her throughout the entire IDA series, but it could be Jessie. And I COMPLETELY agree that she has one facial expression for EVERY SINGLE EMOTION! I thought I was the only one who saw that! And yes you're right, the getting to know you thread was very useful Samuel! lol!
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#13
Posted: 8/31/08 at 8:53am
SAMUEL!!?? fine you want to play it like that?
cabaret is the WORST musical ever!

*i dont mean it i just wanted to cause a reaction, please god of musical theatre do not strike me down!*
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#14
Posted: 8/31/08 at 8:56am
=O There's a line...it was crossed *glares*
lol! i wonder who the god of Musical Theatre is...Wickedboy perhaps?
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#15
Posted: 8/31/08 at 9:19am
a line...did someone just mention A Chorus Line??!! :P
no! no offence to Wickedboy, he is a ledgend on these boards, but a god, he is not...but its a very good question!

sorry for like completely hijacking your thread.. :S whoops
so cabaret..
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#16
Posted: 8/31/08 at 9:50am

Updated On: 8/31/08 at 09:50 AM
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#17
Posted: 8/31/08 at 10:11am
wickedboy can you check you PM's, thanks
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#18
Posted: 8/31/08 at 10:24am
Wickedboy have you seen Wayne Sleep as Emcee before? Or was that somebody else? How was he?
Updated On: 8/31/08 at 10:24 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#19
Posted: 8/31/08 at 12:09pm
Updated On: 8/31/08 at 12:09 PM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#20
Posted: 8/31/08 at 4:40pm
I should have added to my post that the guy from Hollyoaks who plays Cliff was possible the strongest member of the cast. Great voice and solid acting, was something of a surprise, but a pleasent one!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#21
Posted: 8/31/08 at 6:07pm
Yea i saw him doing it at the Strand, now The Novello with Toyah Wilcox. Very average production. I have the CD if want to hear a few numbers?
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Cabaret Tour - Cast#22
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:11am
That'd be great Wickedboy :) I'll PM you my email so you can send them via that x