Page: 1

West End v Broadway

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End v Broadway#1
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:53pm
West End transfers to Broadway have had stunning success, such as Phantom, Les Mis and Evita, all being in the top three longest running shows on Broadway (deservingly so) the only problem is that there has not been many.

I know our plays keep doing very well over there and how popular Shakespeare is and from being over there 3 times, I know how articulate, intelligent and cultured New Yorkers are!

I have observed only 3 West End musicals on in Broadway compared with 11 Broadway transfers on in the West End, I want to just simply ask is it harder for a West End Show to open in New York than a Broadway show to open in London?
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#2
Posted: 8/21/08 at 3:14pm
Not an easy question to answer by any means. It all depends on the product thats being handled. You just really have to look at a large time span (the last 25 years) to see that it is pretty much equal as to how productions hop back and forth across the pond. One thing is certain is that it doesn't happen half as much to day as it did in the 70s and 80s. If you take away the mega-musicals you mentioned there was still an hell of a lot of productions back and forth in the 80s and 90s. My thinking is that back 30 years ago the quality of productions being swapped were of a much higher standard and would almost always have stella casts.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#2
Posted: 8/21/08 at 4:29pm
The productions in the 80s and 90s, would these be plays?
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#3
Posted: 8/21/08 at 5:32pm
The three longest running Broadway shows are London imports. They are Phantom (the longest running show on Broadway), Cats (second) and Les Miserables (third). Evita isn't even in the top ten according to the list on playbill.com. According to that list Wicked which is currently running has had more performances then Evita did during its run. Keep in mind that this list keeps track of shows that are running and shows that have closed.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#4
Posted: 8/21/08 at 7:29pm
Winson I said that New Yorkers are intelligent and you have proved me right, I did intend to put Cats down, but somehow it got lost in translation and came out as Evita!!!!!!!!!!!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#5
Posted: 8/22/08 at 5:51pm
My understanding is that Broadway transferred many musicals to the West End between the 1950s and 1970s with very few West End musicals going in the opposite direction. Evita changed that and the traffic completely turned around in the 1980s with all the ALW/Cam Mac musicals and very little being exported by Broadway - something Broadway has only turned around again in the last five years.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#6
Posted: 8/30/08 at 9:25pm
My understanding is we have not had many musicals that have transfered to Broadway, all what I can think of is;

Jesus Christ Superstar (flop)
Joseph
Evita
Cats
Starlight Express (flop)
Song and Dance
Phantom of the Opera
Les Miserable
Me and My Girl
Chess (flop)
Aspects of Love
Miss Saigon
Sunset Boulevard (flop)
Bombay Dreams (flop)
Blood Brothers (flop)
Mama Mia
The Woman in White (flop)
The Pirate Queen (flop)

18 is all what I can think of, I imagine that there has been more American shows come over to the West End.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#7
Posted: 8/30/08 at 10:20pm
You have 17 on that list. The Pirate Queen was never a transfer. It was produced in America the entire time. Granted it was with an Irish producing team and french composers. But, it was still an American production and not a transfer at all.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: West End v Broadway#8
Posted: 8/31/08 at 4:46am
And Chitty! x
'ponnine
Understudy
Understudy
re: West End v Broadway#9
Posted: 8/31/08 at 5:15am
Mary Poppins ???
aka Ria
Winston3
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: West End v Broadway#10
Posted: 8/31/08 at 7:37am
Here is one I forgot to add earlier. We got By Jeeves. Granted it didn't even run 3 months on Broadway. But, it was still a transfer.
Goodbye Sister Disco
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#11
Posted: 8/31/08 at 7:41am
Are you Winston89?
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#12
Posted: 8/31/08 at 8:24am
And are you Winstons 4 to 88 as well?

What did you do to get the ban on your account?

(and please could you post the link re: West End v Broadway )

Updated On: 8/31/08 at 08:24 AM
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: West End v Broadway#13
Posted: 8/31/08 at 8:38am
Oaklahoma!... ??
Winston3
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: West End v Broadway#14
Posted: 8/31/08 at 3:24pm
Scripps and Wickedboy, check your PMs. I don't really feel like publishing this story to everyone but have no problem telling you two.
Goodbye Sister Disco
BroadwayBaby6 Profile PhotoBroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#18
Posted: 9/25/08 at 10:33am
There are quite a few differences:

West End musicals tend to appeal more to international tourists and therefore many have that theme park element to them which is still anathema to Bway critics. Successful West End musical transfers to Bway are usually "revisals", i.e. reinterpretations of American musical theatre classics.

Broadway critics are much harsher than the London ones. Shows like Zorro, for instance, would never make it in New York.

On the other hand, NY critics and audiences tend to go ga-ga over British non-musical plays.

Billy Elliot, which is probably the best British musical ever (better than Oliver IMHO) should, however, be a huge hit in NY.
"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#19
Posted: 9/25/08 at 10:35am
Oh please! lol
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: West End v Broadway#20
Posted: 9/25/08 at 11:11am
Billy Elliot?..probably the best BRTISH musical??.....ooookaaay!
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#22
Posted: 9/25/08 at 11:53am
I'm really lost with this thread!

Out of interest- and thread-jacking shamelessly- what is the best British musical ever?

Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: West End v Broadway#23
Posted: 9/25/08 at 12:56pm
I'd have to put 'Spend Spend Spend' up there with the best..
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#21
Posted: 9/26/08 at 7:25pm
Broadway Babes 6, I agree with your 2nd and 3rd point.

Billy Elliott is a great british musical, but a lot of worry it is too British and will not export well to NY!

You need to clarify your first point with examples, for me to agree or disagree please?
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#22
Posted: 9/27/08 at 9:06am
Scripps' four nominations for best British musical ever...

Billy Elliot
Evita
Miss Saigon
Oliver

(not in any particular order)

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End v Broadway#23
Posted: 9/27/08 at 9:16am
BroadwayBaby6 sometimes your comments leave me scratching my head (and then i mess my hair up lol)

UK shows have more of a theme park attraction to them.....erm like Wicked you mean, Wedding Singer, Legally Blonde etc etc

Broadway is the king of the spectacle, we had a good run in the 80s at spectacle but that was a long time ago.

Zorro wouldn't do well in the USA because your critics are harsher....Translated in to, you didn't like Zorro so Broadway wouldn't
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna