WWRY Touring

RadioFan
Understudy
Understudy
WWRY Touring#1
Posted: 8/8/08 at 2:50pm
Just seen this posted for June next year at the Sunderland Empire. Any news about this?
Is it closing in London?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#2
Posted: 8/8/08 at 5:24pm
Grrr i have SO much news about this inc when it kicks off but i cant say anything till Sept 13th

I can say that its not closing in London, they are using the set from the US for the tour
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
RadioFan
Understudy
Understudy
re: WWRY Touring#2
Posted: 8/8/08 at 6:20pm
It's a Phil McIntyre Entertainment Production according to the Sunderland Empire's website.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#3
Posted: 8/8/08 at 7:42pm
*keeps lips sealed"
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#4
Posted: 8/9/08 at 8:27am
God bless the provinces i say!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: WWRY Touring#5
Posted: 8/9/08 at 12:26pm
Please may it come to Southampton....
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: WWRY Touring#6
Posted: 8/10/08 at 6:37pm
... so we can throw them out of The Mayflower, destroy the set and make it so no one else has to suffer this show!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#7
Posted: 8/10/08 at 11:38pm
Isn't seeing it sit in London theatre for 5 million years enough? Why does it need to go to Southampton? -your just 90mins from London (or less)
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: WWRY Touring#8
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:58am
I wondered about this... I know the Sunderland Empire did a summer school and community production last year with a load of kids and thought it might be a repeat of that. However, I see it's also at the Bristol Hippodrome next September...
Updated On: 8/11/08 at 03:58 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#9
Posted: 8/11/08 at 4:04am
Its gonna be a huge, long tour.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#10
Posted: 8/11/08 at 5:42am
"I wondered about this... I know the Sunderland Empire did a summer school and community production last year with a load of kids and thought it might be a repeat of that. However, I see it's also at the Bristol Hippodrome next September..."

They only do the shows for 3 nights and they already did WWRY last year (They did West Side Story this year).
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#11
Posted: 8/11/08 at 7:36am
It is a very long tour with the 1st venue holding it for 3 to 4 months
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: WWRY Touring#12
Posted: 8/11/08 at 9:21am
The Bristol dates aren't there anymore. They were for September/October next year. Bizarre.
Updated On: 8/11/08 at 09:21 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#13
Posted: 8/11/08 at 9:34am
Some dates have announced way to early so that might have something to do wiv it
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#14
Posted: 8/11/08 at 9:48am
re: WWRY Touring

My heart bleeds for those poor, poor (artistically poor!!!) one nighter concerts that have been clogging the arteries of UK theatres for the last number of years!!!

Updated On: 8/11/08 at 09:48 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#15
Posted: 8/11/08 at 9:53am
re: WWRY Touring

Freddie Mercury looks like a dirty old uncle in this one!!!

CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: WWRY Touring#16
Posted: 8/11/08 at 12:32pm
In all faireness, i would rather see both of these over WWRY, as the songs havent been ruined, there isnt some naff story which is REALLY dull, and, theyre cheaper! And you still get the lively atmosphere and enjoy the songs!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#17
Posted: 8/11/08 at 1:24pm
I hate when they ruin good songs, just like they did in rent remixed lol (sorry i couldnt resist CHGriffiths )
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: WWRY Touring#18
Posted: 8/11/08 at 5:06pm
In all fairness, I was dissapointed with Rent Remixed, dont get me worng, i did enjoy it, but i defo dont think it was ANYWHERE near as good as the origonal! And its just lucky that i only, really like ultra-modern shows, so rent remixed kinda fitted in! (But I was still VERY dissapointed) Anyway, sorry for going off topic!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#19
Posted: 8/11/08 at 6:01pm
I think this one will sit down in a few venues for a few months.

The show was alright.

I take issue at Wickedboy saying this show is only 90 minutes from Southhampton, the show has already run for 5 years too long does not need any more encouragement!!!!!!!!! love you really WB.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: WWRY Touring#20
Posted: 8/12/08 at 6:44am
The London shows may only be 90 minutes from Southampton (I am in Eastleigh so slightly closer) but the train fare is 30, the ticket top price is 60 and I can't just go after work. If the show was at the Mayflower my train fare would be 3, the ticket would be 35 and I could go from work and even have time for dinner.

I do understand why some tours miss Southampton as it is so close but if it is a big tour then Southampton should be on the list.
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: WWRY Touring#21
Posted: 8/12/08 at 7:23am
The other problem with Southampton, which i have seen with almost every tour that goes there, is the stage size, ITS MASSIVE!!! I haven't seen a single production there where they haven't used curtains at the side to make the stage smaller, and when your working with big moving set (Such as some parts of WWRY), it is VERY hard to move everything around with great big curtains on the stage where it is too big, the mayflower also has a very big auditorium and seats ALOT of people, and most tours can not pull in enough people into the mayflower (especially when they can go see the proper show (without the set alterations) in London which is so close)
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WWRY Touring#22
Posted: 8/12/08 at 7:43am
The big West End shows do fill the Mayflower stage, it was renovated deliberately so it could house the bigger West End shows. Prime example being so they could fit in Miss Saigon on its first tour. Also Beauty and the Beast only just fit in the theatre when it was there (1st tour of London production. Its the smaller touring shows that go to various size venues that struggle - but I would say they have the same problem at the other large number 1 venues around the uk.

WWRY if it comes should fill the stage ok without the need of 'curtains'.

With regards to filling the capacity, the right show will do it. Phantom sold out every single seat on every level practically when it was there, Cats always sells well, HSM sold out all levels and standing, I suspect WWRY could do the same as its appeal and audience is vast, more so than your standard musical. It just depends on the length of run. I dont think it could sustain a 4 month run like say it could in Manchester becuase of its proximity to London and the fact Southampton is a MUCH smaller city with a smaller surrounding area.
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: WWRY Touring#23
Posted: 8/12/08 at 3:20pm
I just dont see it doing well with the production still in london!
andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: WWRY Touring#24
Posted: 8/12/08 at 5:19pm
I can see it doing really well. Queen had/have a huge fanbase. The very average tribute shows done by amateur/semi-pro performers drag in massive audiences so a professional production of queens music is going to appeal a masses of people imo.