Posted: 8/1/08 at 7:26am
Updated On: 8/1/08 at 07:26 AM
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#2
Posted: 8/1/08 at 7:34am
Im surprised cos the reviews for this were very mixed. It's just had a production in the states which didn't go down well either. It's a very strange piece.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#2
Posted: 8/1/08 at 8:01am
Oh lord, not the CFT one! I saw it yesterday; blood is *still* trickling out of my ears. O_O

I really enjoyed it though, and will most likely see it again once it hits London, because I am a sucker for an ex-member of the Histories ensemble and John Mackay is great. re: New tennant for The Gielgud (They'd better transfer the whole/most of the current cast...) Be interesting to see how it adapts to the Gielgud as well; it's VERY Chichester-specific right now. XD
Updated On: 8/1/08 at 08:01 AM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#3
Posted: 8/1/08 at 8:35am
Oh god i went to see my friend in this at the Lowry and hated it
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#4
Posted: 8/1/08 at 8:48am
Did it in school- enough to put anyone off drama for good!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#5
Posted: 8/1/08 at 8:53am
"innovative and probing"....yeah whatever

it is very stange and i hated every second :|
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#6
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:02am
Have you guys seen this specific production? It's very far removed from previous productions, probably to the point of insanity. Act 1 introduces our documentary film-makers, then brings on the Six Characters, then plays through the whole Mr. Pace (sexchange ftw!) thang, then breaks for interval. When we come back, the documentary set-up has been removed and we get the whole "whoops, two children dead!" bit played through very quickly, and then the CRACK starts. There's some director's commentary, two of the characters go over the road and end up in 'The Music Man' on video, there's discussion of the proliferation of Hamlets in the UK right now, Rupert Goold, Ben Power and Pirandello himself all turn up as characters, and it is - quite frankly - mad, on a level I never would have expected from being familiar with the original script (Linstrum translation).

I tell ya, if people think '[title of show]' is too in-jokey, pleased-with-itself, and clever-clever, they'd probably have a hernia if they saw this. Just when you think they've pushed the boundaries of reality-questioning as far as they can go, BAM! Another moment of severe crack. You may know the original, but unless you've been to Chichester, you really don't know this.
Updated On: 8/1/08 at 09:02 AM
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#7
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:04am
i'll only go to chichester if i have too!
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#8
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:06am
Chichester's lovely. I only went for the first time yesterday, but I already love the place. :)

Anyhoo, you can see this one without going to Chichester now. I think it's INSANE (possibly too much so for its own good), but I do want to see how it works in London. If it works in London. :3
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#9
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:37am
Hmmm im still not swayed to watch it

I really wanted to kill myself watching the version i saw (i think i slept through a lot of Act 2)
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#10
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:39am
I'm happy about this. I worked at CFT for ages and five years ago, they had an 'Edge' festival that ran alongside the Minerva season. They only did it that year because it was a real failure ticket-wise... to be honest, the whole thing was like a big private joke between cast, crew and theatre staff. Anyway, I digress. One of the events was a reading of this play (featuring the fabulous Noma Dumezweni) and I loved it. I still have a load of friends at CFT and this is the only one this season I'm going to (not paying, naturally). CFT did loads of Pirandello on the side under Marin, Stephen and Ruth (one of the Edge events in that same year was a full on production in the Minerva of The Man With a Flower in His Mouth) and it's great that Church has revived it properly as they've brought back a few old faces for the ensemble this year.

This won't be a success at the Gielgud, but I'm glad it's done well enough to merit a transfer. I'll probably see it there as well.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#11
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:47am
hey love why Desperately Seeking Susan????
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#12
Posted: 8/1/08 at 11:35am
In its short life, I managed to see it four times as well as in rehearsal. It's hard to explain... it's almost like I'm in love with DSS. Even though people hated it, hence the miniscule run, I am completely blind to its faults. Even now, I smile thinking about it. If it was still on now, Lord knows how many times I'd have gone.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#13
Posted: 8/1/08 at 11:50am
I didnt hate it like most did, i enjoyed myself but it had its problems, it needed a bit of a kick in places to liven it up but overall i enjoyed it

I just got a naughty CD recording of it live from the Novello, its an interesting listen
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#14
Posted: 8/2/08 at 6:27pm
lovepigeon: when're you off to Chichester? Any chance you might be able to find out how much of the cast is going to the Gielgud? I've sent an enquiring email to Delfont Mackintosh, but I'm not holding my breath for a reply. XD Report back whether you find out or no, I'd be interested in hearing what someone else thinks of this particular production. :)
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#15
Posted: 8/3/08 at 11:25am
Chichester transfers usually bring the same cast as much as possible, I imagine that would happen with this production. I can't wait to see it, the reviews were great...
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#16
Posted: 8/4/08 at 4:22am
You got a recording of it?! Oh my Lord, where from?! I have Call Me and half of Dreaming that I ripped from the promo clips on Myspace. They're really crap... proper sound desk stuff. Oh my, where did you get yours from? What's the quality like?! I miss Moment Of Truth SO bad.

As for Six Characters, I should imagine it'll be the whole cast. Nickleby had many new faces because it was essentially a different production by the time it got to London. More recent transfers have gone more or less straight there. I'll deffers find out and let you know though.

I've been told that Calendar Girls is struggling to find a West End house, oddly. It'll definitely be there somewhere after its little tour though.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#17
Posted: 8/4/08 at 7:26am
Its an audience recorded one i have of the whole show but the sound is actually very good,its from the previews i believe (i know the show changed a lot during previews)
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#18
Posted: 8/4/08 at 9:31am
How did you get it? Would there be any way I could get a copy? I don't know how I'm ever going to sleep at night knowing that somebody recorded it!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#19
Posted: 8/4/08 at 11:36am
i will get it uploaded to megaupload this week so yo can download it x
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#20
Posted: 8/4/08 at 11:48am
That would be AWESOME, thank you!!!
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New tennant for The Gielgud#21
Posted: 8/4/08 at 11:53am
Oh, and back on topic... it is going to be the entire Chichester cast at the Gielgud. I facebooked up Noma Dumezweni this afternoon and she said only one person hasn't committed but everyone's interested so it should be the lot of them.

I reckon Eleanor David's the one fannying about... she's a very strange woman.