Page: 1

'Wicked' Opens To 99% Rave Reviews Down Under

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Most are just a few picky things but most of the reviews rave about the production that opened yesterday. The music being the main complaint.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 7/21/08 at 11:38 PM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They have a $13 million advance, a record for this country. What's that? ... about 6.4 million pounds in your language.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good to see Wicked get good reviews in Australia, most of the reviews on Broadway and London tended to be mixed. Going to be seeing it very shortly and looking forward to it.

BTW how long are intending to stay in Melbourne or are they going to Sydney after a year or two like most musicals in Australia?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This production has most certainly had much better reviews than both London and Broadway- the very best of luck to it. I love the Aussies stage their musicals.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
At this time the producers are saying Melbourne only, but this is a common ploy - tell them it is Melbourne (or Sydney) only to bring in the interstate tourists and then after a year or so move it to Sydney.

As it is I believe they are looking at at least 12 months in Melbourne. BILLY ELLIOTT moves down from Sydney (after 11 months) in December (Her Majesty's Theatre) for what will no doubt be a good run, to be followed by JERSEY BOYS in March 2009 (Princess Theatre). So the interstate and New Zealand tourists will have lots to see.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As much as I think Stephen Schwartz snoozed his way thro' composing the score for this, the woman at the top of this thread looks like a very impressive Elphaba.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yea, I posted this pic because she looks the most serious and also most menacing of all. Fierce looking performer!
broadwayboy101
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
It's Victoria Matlock from the U.S. national tour.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I took from an Australian newspaper!!!!
broadwayboy101
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
It's definitely Victoria Matlock though. I saw her on the tour, this was one of the promotional photos for it.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Was she as good as she looks?
broadwayboy101
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I thought she was incredible, but a lot of people didn't like her because they said her voice didn't sound mature enough. To each their own I guess.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That picture may be of Victoria Matlock, but the Australian Elphaba is Amanda Harrison.
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
EVIE Profile PhotoEVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Anyone know if and when the cast recording will come out?
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I read somewhere that an Australian cast recording will be out prior to Christmas.