Zorro Reviews

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Zorro Reviews#1
Posted: 7/16/08 at 4:55am
Three Stars from Whatsonstage

http://www.whatsonstage.com/index.php?pg=207&story=E8821216197693&title=Zorro

Interesting to hear a lot of very positive word of mouth on this though, especially the positive changes from the tour
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#2
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:36am
The general public don't really read reviews from WhatsOnStage etc etc, its the dailies that they read. I haven't had a chance to see any today. It will make interesting reading I'm sure.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#2
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:38am
The daily reviews weren't up when I checked earlier. I went on Monday, there's a review on my blog (linked below).

The short: It's a popcorn flick on stage. Nothing wrong with that, but I found it a bit donuts for dinner.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Zorro Reviews#3
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:39am
4 stars from The Guardian

Review
Updated On: 7/16/08 at 05:39 AM
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#4
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:39am
Four stars from Michael Billington:

Zorro is often likened to Robin Hood. Here he is more like a radical Scarlet Pimpernel in that he combines the foppish persona of Don Diego with the swashbuckling alter ego of the caped avenger. The great secret of the musical is that it never takes itself too seriously: you could, in fact, say that it pitches a good deal of Gypsy camp. When Don Diego embarks for California sporting earrings and a floral hat, his sexy romany chum, Inez, asks, "What are you going to do? Entertain them to death."

And when he rescues his beloved Luisa from a firing squad with the aid of multiple lookalikes, she enquires: "What took you so long?" to which he ripostes: "You try finding seven Zorro outfits round here." This is a jokey, Zorro wreathed in self-awareness. But the show also has the ingredient that all good musicals need: dazzling choreography. This is in the hands of Rafael Amargo, who studied at the Martha Graham School and who wrings every possible variation on flamenco and traditional Spanish dance. We get an orgy of foot-stamping and skirt-twirling accompanied by appropriate ululations. And, if the result sometimes seems like an endless replay of the Lillas Pastia tavern scene from Carmen, it also achieves, particularly in Djobi Djoba, the ecstasy one looks for in musicals.

The show may not be high art but it's great fun and brings a refreshingly different, Hispanic sound to the jaded world of West End musicals.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/theatre/drama/reviews/story/0,,2291036,00.html
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#5
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:40am
I meant positive word of mouth, not refering to WOS, just word of mouth among general public who have seen it and like it.

exedore you are exactly right, it is just that, a fun blockbuster style pop corn flick on stage...and it works.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#6
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:41am
Three stars from Nicholas de Jongh:

A new breed of escapist musical, inspired by an American pulp-fiction story and a brace of Hollywood movies, swaggered into town last night, looking as if it might make an original summer holiday attraction

Stephen Clark's book which he wrote with Helen Edmundson, could do with far more of such comic cuts to lighten the fairytale and romantic melodramatics of the musical's scenario: Diego, sent to study in Spain where he cannot resist falling in with a gypsy group and admiring the thrust of Inez's body, returns to California, which designer Tom Piper pictures as a grim sinister stockade.

John Cameron's score, wistful and slightly Sondheimian is unexceptional, but the music of the Gypsy Kings steels and helps make the show. In anthems like Freedom and the Fiesta of the finale, a joyful climax of furiously tapping feet and dancing energy is achieved: Here is authentic high energy as a contrast to the fairytale heroics of Zorro in a truly highflying musical.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/theatre/show-23398747-details/Zorro+The+Musical/showReview.do?reviewId=23516724
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#8
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:43am
No star rating from the Independent...

There doesn't seem to be such a thing as a quiet gypsy at least not in Zorro. The gypsies cry, they clap, they howl. They smack crates with their open palms, pound chairs on the floor, and bang on metal buckets with odd bits of hardware. And of course they dance they stamp so often and so viciously it seems a shame no one has brought a handful of nuts to make some use of all that energy. With all that carry-on, and over-miked performers who are louder than they are lucid (I wasn't sure if a couple of numbers were in Spanish or English), Zorro is no show for anyone who needs a bit of kip.

Zorro Incorporated, it seems, has lost faith in its raison d'etre, a state reflected in the decision to hand over much of the show to the gypsies, who fling the 20-year-old hit "Bamboleo" and other music by the Gipsy Kings at us with the vehemence and charm of an assault. This means that, while the stage repeatedly resounds to keening and thudding, the leading man and lady are left with the low-voltage numbers. All that Don Diego, aka Zorro, and his sweetheart, Luisa, can do is moo at each other or, in a further expression of post-modern self-doubt, examine their motives and question their feelings.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre/reviews/first-night-zorro-garrick-theatre-london-868810.html
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#9
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:43am
I really want this show to take off. It's something new and different for the West End. Lets hope these reviews get it thru at least the summer. Im seeing it Thur or Fri and cant wait. (BIG Gypsy Kings fan in the 80s here!).

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#10
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:44am
WickedBoy: I don't think there'll be any problems making it through summer unless people rebel at the lack of air conditioning. This is a great show for tour groups who are already making their presence known.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#11
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:49am
So far those are the kind of reviews they were hoping for or slightly better than hoped for. The Guardian got it spot on 'refreshingly different for the West End'.
The Independent reviewer, isn't he the one and only who got it wrong with his review for 'Hairspray'?????
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#12
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:51am
I agree EX. The air conditioning at the Garrick will only had to the effect of being in the Californian desert! lol
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#13
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:51am
The more I see it and think about it the more I love this show, its so fun, and like you say different. Matt Rawle puts in a fantastic performance that I hope will be recognised at awards time with a nomination.

The Guardians review is spot on I agree
Updated On: 7/16/08 at 05:51 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#15
Posted: 7/16/08 at 6:08am
re: Zorro Reviews

This is fantastic! I may even try and go tonight!
Im so happy for this production. Those few hiccups on tour seem to have gone and not one review has said any thing about the set looking cramped etc etc as that was its main problem on transferring!

Updated On: 7/16/08 at 06:08 AM
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#16
Posted: 7/16/08 at 7:26am
A quick note -- I saw this when I was in London last week -- I loved it so much I went back twice more!!! It was absolutely fantastic! The house was full each night I saw it and the audience reaction was overwhelmingly positive, with standing ovations each night I saw it.

I was really surprised at the negative review by the Independent, but heartened to read the others. One thing though:

"When Don Diego embarks for California sporting earrings and a floral hat, his sexy romany chum, Inez, asks, 'What are you going to do? Entertain them to death.' "

This is slightly incorrect. They are already in California when Inez asks this question.

More comments later, when I'm not scrambling to get ready for work! re: Zorro Reviews
Updated On: 7/16/08 at 07:26 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#17
Posted: 7/16/08 at 7:28am
Sod it! I'm going tonite!
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#18
Posted: 7/16/08 at 7:31am
Wicked Boy -- you will not regret it!!!! re: Zorro Reviews

Oh, and btw, I'm a long-time Zorro fan; I've been fascinated by the character since childhood. Matt's portrayal of Zorro is really excellent.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#19
Posted: 7/16/08 at 7:41am
re: Zorro Reviews

When i was a kid in the ****s Zorro was a major part of kids TV and friends used to pile into each others house to watch it. The two Banderas movies are pure escapism.

Updated On: 7/16/08 at 07:41 AM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#20
Posted: 7/16/08 at 7:45am
Let me know what you think Wickedboy as i was 50/50 with this show though that was th tour.

I still think with all the positive reviews etc its still not going to last long (it will get through the summer though)
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#21
Posted: 7/16/08 at 7:50am
Well its gonna do a damn sight better than 'DDS'! Its got 'family night out' and 'tourist heaven' written all over it!
Im just pleased that the bitter Adam Cooper is no longer associated with it. I'm sure the company are a lotter happier and more relaxed. Hope he's kicking himself now that Matt Rawl has the reviews he has.
Updated On: 7/16/08 at 07:50 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#22
Posted: 7/16/08 at 7:51am
Adam Cooper was one of the bigger problems with it when Is aw it, he cant act and some of his 'dancing' had been added in I felt because they had a dancer in the role.

Matt is just perfection, I really cant fault him!
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#23
Posted: 7/16/08 at 8:40am
Adam Levy is really excellent as Ramon. Princeton, I agree with your comment about Matt. When I read that he had been cast, I thought he would be good in the part, and I was right. He's brought my childhood hero vividly to life -- and I loved his Diego as well. Very funny. re: Zorro Reviews
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Zorro Reviews#24
Posted: 7/16/08 at 9:02am
Yeah i didnt think much of Cooper either
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna