Legally Blonde casting rumours...

groovy-hoover Profile Photogroovy-hoover Profile Photo
groovy-hoover
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Legally Blonde casting rumours...#1
Posted: 7/14/08 at 5:48am
In an (admittedly trashy) British Tabloid yesterday this article appeared.

"Scary Spice Mel B is to star in a stage musical of the blockbuster movie Legally Blonde. Mel, 33, will pocket 500,000 for her West End debut later this year. A source close to the mum of two said: "She is a big name and extremely talented. She is exactly what Legally Blonde needs to make the show a success. Mel has a huge fanbase and the producers know she'll bring in the punters. She has a great voice too and this will be her springboard for a successful career in theatre".
Mel, joined by hubby Stephen Belafonte, has made regular visits to the show on New York's Broadway to pick up tips.
In the 2001 movie, Reese Witherspoon played a seemingly dumb blonde who became a legal eagle.
Mel, who recently began modelling for Ultimo underwear, will play the lead character's feisty pal Brooke".

... Thoughts?
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#2
Posted: 7/14/08 at 5:58am
When I saw 'Rent' on Broadway, it was a matinee so we got Karmine Alers instead of Mel B, and I counted myself EVER so lucky.

Cold pizza was not a good idea for breakfast this morning.

I wonder where I can get a good green jacket?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#2
Posted: 7/14/08 at 6:39am
lololol

Oddly enough only a month ago she was apprently going to be starring in the Broadway one as well
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#3
Posted: 7/14/08 at 8:25am
"She is a big name and extremely talented"

Wrong on both counts, I think...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#4
Posted: 7/14/08 at 9:50am
I don't think she has the voice for Paulette/Brooke... Brooke's number is seriously demanding!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#5
Posted: 7/14/08 at 10:01am
Brooke would be the only one i could see her playing but it is a pretty demanding song and routine
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#6
Posted: 7/14/08 at 10:02am
I finally caught up with the televised version of this show at the weekend. What a stinker! I'll admit to liking the staging but the show is woeful, and obviously pitched at 16 year old girls. I was in agony watching it. Does London have valley girls?
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#7
Posted: 7/14/08 at 11:59am
well im not a 16 year old girl and loved it
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#8
Posted: 7/14/08 at 12:47pm
Yea but your still a girl!

As the title says 'rumors'!!!!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#9
Posted: 7/14/08 at 12:49pm
i object
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#10
Posted: 7/14/08 at 12:50pm
to be ing a girl or the rumors that your a big girl?

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#11
Posted: 7/14/08 at 1:05pm
All of the above

im totally butch *files nails*
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#12
Posted: 7/14/08 at 1:08pm
LOL
Sorry, its I had sucha bitch of a hosstie coming back on BA last night- I just thought I'd give it a try!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#13
Posted: 7/14/08 at 1:15pm
im not giving u sympathy with your jet set life style lol
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#14
Posted: 7/16/08 at 11:27am
im sorry i'll disagree... i'll have you know Mel B is a fine actress..... look at her in Bo Selecta! Oscar winning!
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#15
Posted: 7/16/08 at 5:01pm
Your kidding right?

As for the age group that the show is geared to. I think that one of the best PR moves I have seen is that the show realized that its fanbase is teen girls and that there is a whole channel that is also devoted to the same age group and they paired up with it. I do think that the MTV taping of the show sort of backfired because those who never saw the show didn't rush to buy tickets because they could tivo it and see it in the comfort of their own homes for free and girls who would have gone to the show in an obsessive amount realize that they could throw a party at home for their friends and watch it on TV instead of going to the Palace and actually seeing it where it would cost more.

I will admit that the Vally Girl fan base of repeat visitors is what is keeping this show open right now. I don't know if England has the same kind of Valley Girl thing that America has. If they don't then I think that this show would be screwed in England because the valley girls are the ones keeping this show going on Broadway.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#16
Posted: 7/16/08 at 6:34pm
Winston i love ya but sometimes your comments leave me scratching my head

Valley Girls!!!!, the show is in NY so i doubt it's valley girls going to watch it.Its just girls and gays that are showing up to watch it at the Palace.The same audience that go and see Dirty Dancing, Footloose, Fame etc etc

Shows which have all played successfully in London
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#17
Posted: 7/16/08 at 8:16pm
Duhhhh!
broadwayboy101
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#18
Posted: 7/17/08 at 12:39am
OMG, lyke, Kerry Ellis is playing Elle Woods?!?!?! OMG!!!

(no, I don't actually talk like that haha, but it says she is on Wikipedia, I found that humorous)
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#19
Posted: 7/17/08 at 3:36am
Songanddanceman,

There are many names for teen girls in America who come from very wealthy families and take full advantage of that in their social lives. By going shoping to high end stores or doing expensive hobies. The term is called Valley girls because the idea is that these kinds of girls live in the Sanfranando Valley which is a very wealthy area of Califorina but they don't need to be from there to fall under the title of valley girl. However, they can be anywhere including New York. Where if you look at an area like the upper east side it is a very wealthy area so there can be those kinds of girls living there as well. These kinds of girls are also found on Long Island which is all suburbs of NYC. Long Island for the most part is full of wealthy suburbain towns and the girls there though they might not be from rich families their parents spoil them as if they were. I grew up on Long Island. I thank god am not like that at all.

In fact there was an article a couple of years ago in Time that spoke about how the new hobbie for teen girls (of course those being based in and around NYC) was going to the theatre. It talked about how teen girls tended to visit the same three shows over and over again. Hairspray, Wicked and Legally Blonde. And, the part that really grinds my gears about this whole thing is that for the most part the parents pay which is why they are able to go so much. If they paid on their own they wouldn't be able to go as often as they do.

I used the term valley girl becuase it was one that you knew and discribed the same kind of people I was talking about. So yes valley girls are visiting legally blonde a lot.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#20
Posted: 7/17/08 at 5:06am
Bimbo's are the girls I saw outside the Palace last Saturday night! Complete bimbo's!!
They were all dressed like they were going to a teenage whores convention rather than theatre! There were people walking past the theatre laughing at the dress sense of these girls!
Updated On: 7/17/08 at 05:06 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#21
Posted: 7/17/08 at 6:42am
Well every country has your little drama queen girls and gay men so Blonde will do fine.
I actually think the audience for Blonde will be a bit older here, i can see girls going on a night out going to watch this show and all the gays from soho etc
michael2
Understudy
Understudy
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#22
Posted: 7/17/08 at 7:00am
How about Barbara Cook as Elle now that would be good casting. Who would play Professor Callaghan though Jonathan Pryce anyone.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#23
Posted: 7/17/08 at 7:02am
Oh i hate Barbara Cook *hides*
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Legally Blonde casting rumours...#24
Posted: 7/17/08 at 10:42am
And if it was on Wikipedia, I doubt it's true about Kerry Ellis.
Is she a good enough actress to play her?