In The Heights...

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
In The Heights...#1
Posted: 7/12/08 at 7:36am
Is it likely to ever come over?

I'm guessing the fact we don't have a huge Latin American community here might hinder the production...

Alas, it would be great to have it. Damn selfish Broadway keeping shows to themselves.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#2
Posted: 7/12/08 at 8:17am
It would be one i would LOVE to come over as it's a brilliant show with an amazing score but i think producers would think it would not work here due to the fact we don't have a big Latin community here as you pointed out

Then again, never say never
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#2
Posted: 7/12/08 at 8:26am
I haven't seen the show so I admit I can't make a full judgement on it. But, when I was in New York back in May and saw 9 shows I was not even tempted to go and see In The Heights. I heard some of the songs from the score and really hated everything I heard. But I accept that's just my taste and, as the show seems to be a hit, it would be good for it to come over so those who like that kind of music can get to see it over here.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 7/12/08 at 08:26 AM
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#3
Posted: 7/12/08 at 8:48am
I'm listening to 'In The Heights' right now, and it's certainly a major part of the reason I'm now saving up to get back to New York in spring, even though I have no money whatsoever. ^_^

They had an interview with Lin-Manuel Miranda on the Guardian website a couple of weeks ago (that I just spent several minutes looking for, but to no avail ;_; ) that stated it'd be nice to bring 'In The Heights' over and Miranda would like that very much, but they didn't know if it would work. Sooo... pretty much what has already been said in this thread, but from the horse's mouth. Miranda also said he went to see 'Daddy Cool' when he was over here, maybe that'll aid the search...

EDIT: found it! Google succeeds where the Guardian's own search engine fails. ^_^ And Miranda didn't really enjoy 'Daddy Cool' at all, but certainly found it interesting to see what they were trying to do. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/01/usa.theatre

Updated On: 7/12/08 at 08:48 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#4
Posted: 7/12/08 at 9:35am
poor sod having to sit through Daddy Cool

"it was a crazy mess" thats a nice way of putting it lol
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...#5
Posted: 7/12/08 at 10:02am
Yeah, I have a feeling that the only way it would work here is if we had Lin to headline, do a Wicked...have a stand by ready to learn from the master to eventually take over the role.

But, again we would have problems trying to find the rest of the cast, unless Lin eased up the specifications to not sole Latin American (is that actually the right term? Sounds a bit old fashioned) actors. But I highly doubt Lin would be up for doing that.

Even if they managed the cast, do we think it could work as well here?

London/the UK in general is pretty multi cultured, but we don't really have anything comparable to the setting of The Heights.

Its a pretty specific setting/culture that many Brits can't relate, so would it manage?

A friend suggested that it could be another 'Rent' situation. Huge on Broadway/America in general, but not so successful here. Maybe because the setting/culture of Rent is pretty specific to New York of the time...and so, not easily relatable for British audiences.

However, that may not be the case...because audiences still didn't respond when it was 'remixed' (i'm throwing up a little in my mouth) into a British 'version'.

But that may just be because it was god awful.

Updated On: 7/12/08 at 10:02 AM
A Fleur De Toi Profile PhotoA Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: In The Heights...#6
Posted: 7/12/08 at 12:26pm
In the Heights Remixed....god no.
In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#7
Posted: 7/12/08 at 12:29pm
about the struggles of a small community in Yorkshire lol
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...#8
Posted: 7/12/08 at 12:38pm
I would love 'In the Heights' to come over..
But not many theatres free at the moment re: In The Heights...
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...#9
Posted: 7/12/08 at 1:48pm
Best show i've seen for years...I'd love it to come here and be as good..but having seen The Producers and Chicago in New York, with pretty much their original casts (even Nathan Lane was present!), and then having seen the London productions, they were a shadow..although I must admit the most recent Chicago tour was about the best of the times I've seen it here.
The In the Heights CD is superb....the songs, recording the lot..love it!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#10
Posted: 7/12/08 at 2:58pm
IS this a show you need to see to 'get'? Ive got the cast recording and it doesnt really do anything for me at all. Act 2 is better, but its not really grabbing me.
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...#11
Posted: 7/12/08 at 3:29pm
I loved the cast recording, there's just nothing I can flaw it for.

I especially enjoy when I get a CD and you fall in love song by song, I obviously obsessed over the shows 'big' numbers like 96,000 and In The Heights, but it slowly builds and builds the more you hear, and often I find the more subdued songs are on repeat.

What gets to me is that its clearly SO heart felt, there's nothing about it that screams out 'I was only created to make people rich quick by grabbing tourists' or 'i'm a half assed production which didn't deserve the attention'.

I dunno, there's just so much thrown into this show, it would be a crime if it didn't see London.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#12
Posted: 7/12/08 at 3:59pm
I cant help think it comes down to age and how open you are to modern music etc to appreciate this show.

Personally i think the score for this show is flawless, its amazing with brilliant lyrics, amazing melodies and one hell of a cast
bestinshow2 Profile Photobestinshow2 Profile Photo
bestinshow2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...#13
Posted: 7/12/08 at 5:03pm
I suppose what with Daddy Cool, The Harder They Come and Into the Hoods, the West End is opening up to contemporary scores but I really do wonder if the setting and the sense of that specific community will catch on in London. Maybe if they somehow explain the whole Spanish Harlem concept because I doubt most Brits will have heard of Washington Height. I know I hadn't until I moved to NYC.

Having said that - FANTASTIC SHOW!!

"My name's Lenny. What's yours?"

Updated On: 7/12/08 at 05:03 PM
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...#14
Posted: 7/12/08 at 5:10pm
It's a neighbourhood..with people...getting on with life...trying to do better...things changing...being aware of the past....pretty universal stuff.
bestinshow2 Profile Photobestinshow2 Profile Photo
bestinshow2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...#15
Posted: 7/12/08 at 5:20pm
True but will they care enough to go and see it?

Then again, West Side Story did ok...
"My name's Lenny. What's yours?"

Updated On: 7/12/08 at 05:20 PM
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#16
Posted: 7/12/08 at 5:30pm
It's not as edgy a show as people might think, considering that a great deal is rapped, but the more traditional songs (the ones that are, y'know, sung :P) are just wonderful. (Which doesn't mean I don't like the rapped pieces, it just means there's stuff there for the more traditional MT fan to enjoy.) It's a very traditional story with no Big Bad forcing things along.

Lately, I've been thinking that some of the lyrics... are on a scale of 1 to Sondheim. Srsly, if Sondheim wrote rap instead of musical theatre, he'd be cacking himself with glee at something as rhyme-filled like as "and check it, don't get stuck in the rubbernecking at 192nd, there's a double decker bus wreck". That's FIVE "eck" rhymes, with two consecutive "eckin" rhymes for good measure. The show's full of brilliant little lyrical moments like this. Not all of them are perfect rhymes (hell, surely most of them aren't), but when it comes down to it, I'd rather have an entertaining lyric that effectively communicates a mood or a moment than something that rhymes perfectly but feels all the flatter for it.

I totally can't wait to see what Lin-Manuel Miranda comes up with next. If this show is a sign of things to come and not just a one-off fluke, then there's some great contemporary musical theatre ahead of us. :3
Updated On: 7/12/08 at 05:30 PM
Queenie2 Profile PhotoQueenie2 Profile Photo
Queenie2
Swing
Swing
re: In The Heights...#17
Posted: 7/12/08 at 5:33pm
I would love In the heights to come to the West End, but lets be honest even if it did, we will probably have to wait at least another 3 years?

It would get the audience because as you've said it's a pretty universal story line that people can relate to.
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#18
Posted: 7/12/08 at 5:37pm
They should do a 'Spring Awakening'. Go "okay, that's really popular on Broadway, we'll now try it out in a fringe (fringier?) London venue to see how well it goes down with Brits, and move it into the West End if it's a hit". And if it's not a hit, we can still totally go and see it while it's fringey. That would be my preferred course of action.
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...#19
Posted: 7/12/08 at 6:03pm
Ship the OBC over to perform.

It's slowly becoming my conclusion.

Not that I don't think we have hugely talented people here, it's just seems to be one of those shows that will be hard to reproduce anywhere but on Broadway.

I do agree with people above, its almost the fact that people will THINK this show is not for them judging by the look of it. Once people hear that 'rap' is involved, more traditional theatre goers will run to the comfort of Phantom....and I don't think ITH is edgy or urban enough to appeal to non theatre goers, like Into The Hoods is.

I wonder how they get people going in New York? Do we think tourists just see that it won the Tony and conclude it will be awesome?

Man, we need to get some Tony action. Our equivalent isn't even broadcasted.

Sigh.

Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#20
Posted: 7/12/08 at 6:08pm
Broadcast, my love. The word is broadcast. :)

Honestly, with all the digital channels around these days, you'd think they'd televise the Olivier awards. BBC4 would be a great place. We should see how many people we can involve in a letter-writing campaign, and see how long it takes for them to crack.....
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...#21
Posted: 7/12/08 at 6:24pm
Oops my bad!

It's SHOCKING they don't broadcast (oh yeahhh) it here with all the crap that IS shown. It's not like it would really damage ratings for them to put them on some obscure BBC channel that shows constant re runs of 80's sitcoms.

But, lets be honest. If not one of the 1000 sky channels has cracked and shown the Tony's yet...what hope do we have?

Lame TV people.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#22
Posted: 7/13/08 at 1:31am
Well im 28, and loved Into The Hoods, but just cant rave about In The Heights cd, id still give it a go though next time im in NYC
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...#23
Posted: 7/13/08 at 10:34am
I know I go on about this but...the online marketing for ITH was superb..it got me booking before we went to NY in April, before it had even opened on Broadway (albeit it had had a succesful off Broadway run last (?) year.)
They had a TV commercial as well...you can see all the stuff they did on their site or Youtube.
There was a drip, drip of stuff which made the whole thing quite exciting.
When we saw it (before the Tonys), midweek, it was probably 80%.Now it seems to be close to 100%. Hurrah!
I'd liked to think the OBC would come over..can't see it though.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...#24
Posted: 7/15/08 at 3:36am
The reason why it is getting people to go see the show in my home of NYC is because Americans in general know that NYC has some "ethnic" areas. And that it is a very diverse city. I don't think that this would sell well in London. I think that this would have the same problem that the original production of Rent had over there and that was it was considered "too new york" for Londoners.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll