Page: 1

Stage Entertainment close to buying New London Theatre

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Stage Entertainment close to buying New London Theatre

In the last 48hrs Stage Entertainment Ltd have jumped to the advanced stages of acquiring the New London Theatre from Andrew Lloyd Webber.
I wonder if if this is successful it will open the doors to the many productions that Stage Entertainment Ltd have in Europe for London presentation?
They have turned the fortunes of the Shaftesbury around in just one show.
Of the the 3 bidders up for its lease, only Stage Entertainment and an unnamed bidder remain. The RSC pulled out of the negotiations awhile back

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 7/10/08 at 06:43 AM
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hope so. In most cases (their current Elisabeth notwithstanding), Stage Entertainment's Dutch and German productions are usually somewhere between quite good and excellent.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
they should pull that ugly glass building down grrr
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know it's unlikely but I agree with SADM2, they should tear down the New London Theatre and rebuild it from scratch. Some of their theatres in Germany and the Netherlands are stunning for modern buildings.

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree 100000000000% and who knows, this company has that money!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 7/10/08 at 08:28 AM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lol, Stage Ent is one of the biggest theatre producer in Europe so they probably have enough money to buld a new theatre and then still have enough to put in a new production.

The reason why I think it's unlikely is because The New London is part of a block which contains a car park, a night club, a cabaret venue, a few shops etc and so SE would have to buy the leases of these places in order to rebuild the New London.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It also has 52 apartments on the top of it, all of which were renovated in recent years! (visible in the pic above).
The nightclub and the cabaret room have never been any success even with the likes of Shirley Bassey and big TV names in the 70s and 80s playing there. The shops, when they have ben occupied have only ever been newsagents and sweet shops and become vacant more often than occupied.
I'm afraid that despite all this building has going against it ,it will be around for the foreseeable future... and beyond!

Updated On: 7/10/08 at 09:40 AM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TBH, I think Stage Entertainment will do a better job with the New London than the RUG ever did. Aside from Cats, Blue Man Group and the RSC season The New London has never had much success and I fear that Imagine This will be the next casualty.

BTW, I thought The Theatre of Comedy still own the Shaftesbury and Stage Ent only lease it for Hairspray unless they have bought outright.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its still unclear where the Theatre Of Comedy come into this now. Im sure that the theatre is still theirs? Having said that, all their signage has now been removed from the outside of the theatre. They are to be thanked for the Shaftesbury being with us today, they faught a long, hard, uphill battle since the early 80s to keep that theatre there!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've spoken to a few very excited people in the last few hours about the latest news on the New London. All think it's the best news for a theatre in ages.
In amongst all that talk was mentioned the cabaret room and night club, 'The Talk Of London', that lies directly beneath the revolving auditorium of the theatre above- this room and all connected to it was completely gutted some time ago. So, either the entire block comes down, which will get a unaniamous vote from Londoners and theatre goers or it gets a 100% overhaul, refurbishment , reconfiguration- call it what you will.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That is brilliant news, I'm hoping for the former but the latter wouldn't be a problem either. Here's hoping that Stage Ent do manage to acquire the lease of the New London and give the theatre a new lease of life.

Some of Stage Ent's theatres in Europe look brilliant considering most of them were built in the lat ten-twenty years. The Lion King Theatre in Hamburg and The Circusforte in Amsterdam are some of my favourites.
ashley-h
Stand-by
Stand-by
Is the auditorium still as it was when Cats was playing there?
I saw Joseph with school a few years ago and it wasn't, It just had a normal proscenium arched stage.
I much preferred it in the round.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was thrusty, last I checked ('Gone With The Wind', 'King Lear'). They could well decide to jig it around for 'Imagine This' though. ^_^
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
At the press of a button it can be any thing you like within 15 mins. Thats its unique design! Not unique enough thats for sure.