Page: 1

What are the 3 best shows right now in London

bwaybri2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Coming over in a few weeks - what are the 3 'must see' shows currently on the West End -

Many thanks -
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lots opening and closing in the next 2 months- what dates are you over?
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 7/9/08 at 03:25 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Brief Encounter'
'Billy Elliot'
'Hairspray'
OK and one for luck 'Black Watch'
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Id deffo say Billy Elliot is one of them.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wickedboy2 makes good suggestions.
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jump over to the Broadway board and see what fun this post has generated there!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy Elliot
Avenue Q
Wicked

Also, though its book and lyrics are terribly flawed, Marguerite is worth seeing just for Legrand's fabulous score and Julian Ovendon's vocal performance.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Go and see Brief Encounter. I cant believe i waited so long to see this show. In my opinion it's the best show in town at the moment.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What are the 3 best shows right now in London

I sang its praises when it opened and have so far managed to send about 50 /60 friends to it and they all fell in love with the show! Not much interest on here tho which surprised me!

Updated On: 7/10/08 at 04:51 AM
theatrejoe Profile Phototheatrejoe Profile Photo
theatrejoe
Understudy
Understudy
I'd say that Lion Kings got to be one of the best. I saw it for the first time a year ago and was blown away by it, and I was standing right at the back of the top balcony! Well worth a trip. Or, for a good old ghost story,'The Woman in Black', great fun but terrifying at the same time!
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Another vote for Brief Encounter - loved it! Les Mis is quite solid after the recent cast change (despite an eccentrically-accented Jean Valjean) and Billy Elliot is a great 'British' musical.

You might want to check out the various shows and platforms at the National as well (http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/) in case anything over there interests you...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would urge to see;

Blood Brothers
Marguerite
The Sound of Music / The Lord of the Rings

The only reason I mention these show is, that they are not playing in America, so you see something that you cannot see back home.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Blood Brothers has been and will run forever. Sound of Music is nice but nothing to write home about, and LotR is closing very shortly.

I agree with the posters suggesting BRIEF ENCOUNTER, and tentatively recommend ZORRO, as the word of mouth is quite positive (I'm hoping to see it Monday and judge for myself).
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I would say Lord of the Rings, catch it before its closes.. one of the most amazing things you will see on a stage
Also Zorro, i loved it and recommend it highly, very different to your average musical.
Have a fab time in town
x

Updated On: 7/12/08 at 04:16 PM
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can enthusiastically recommend Zorro. I saw it just before I left London, and absolutely loved it! Matt Rawle was an excellent Zorro, Adam Levy a perfect villian, and Emma Williams was delightful as Luisa, the love interest. Also outstanding was Lesli Margherita as Inez. The music, by the Gypsy Kings, was fantastic -- it's been in my head ever since -- and the dancing -- wow. Just amazing.

FYI, LOrd of the Rings closes this coming weekend, July 19.