Page: 1

Film > Show

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Film > Show#1
Posted: 7/7/08 at 6:05pm
Many successful show have came to theatre, from being originally a film and vice versa.

What films do you think would make a great theatre show?
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Film > Show#2
Posted: 7/7/08 at 6:55pm
Hocus Pocus

I seriously think my purpose in life is to bring this film to stage!!!!!!!!!! haha!
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Film > Show#2
Posted: 7/7/08 at 7:03pm
i think its fair to say that its about time they cut down on film to musicals at the moment.

some have worked incredibly well, usually the films that could easily be put on stage and still have the substance there...also it tends to be that films that caused an impact do best, ie Billy Elliot and The Lion King.

you could even argue Legally Blonde counts, it works because the film was such a success and it smoothly transitioned to stage...even the songs are pretty solid and add to the scene unlike some shows where they just burst into song and it just seems...sloppy.

i was talking about this the other day with someone...

the lion king (so far and probably will always) takes the crown for the disney genre > musical.

legally blonde (at the moment) takes the crown for chick flick/guilty pleasure/teen movie genre > musical.

billy elliot takes the crown for the arty indie film > musical.

spamalot could count as a 'classic' comedy film from the monty python genre > musical.

we've got 'super-heroes' > musical now with spider-man coming, and animation > musical with shrek.

how the latter fairs who knows, tarzan didn't do well. so perhaps its not looking good for animation to musical?

what other genre's are yet to be tackled?

ok, enough of my rambling haha.
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Film > Show#3
Posted: 7/7/08 at 7:56pm
Horror?
this may sound slighty twisted but i ALWAYS and was convinced when i was younger that nightmare on elm street would work well on stage.....Freddy The Musical....hmm
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Film > Show#4
Posted: 7/7/08 at 11:07pm
After 'Carrie' the 'horror' genre has been pretty much left alone!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Film > Show#5
Posted: 7/8/08 at 3:11am
THE UTTER GLORY OF MORRISSEY HALL was a fair copy of the St Trinians movies - but never really acknowledged the source. I'd like to see some of the "very" British films from the J. Arthur Rank years tackled...The Lavender Hill Mob or something similar. I've had enough of the American teen/chic films.
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Film > Show#6
Posted: 7/8/08 at 6:32am
Have we had any TV series > musical yet?

I heard that they fancy doing Ugly Betty as one. As much as I raised an eyebrow at first...now i'm feeling it could actually work quite well as long as the plot didn't clash with the series....ie, one of them dies haha.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer would be an awesome show. I was daydreaming about how one could put that on. The main problem I came up with was the vampires being 'dusted'.

That, and the fact that it would inevitably flop. Oh well.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Film > Show#7
Posted: 7/8/08 at 8:59am
bad girls the musical
dont know what it was like
but that was tvseries> musical
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Film > Show#8
Posted: 7/8/08 at 9:05am
I think Stardust could make a great big budget musical. Always thought Down With Love screamed out to be a musical.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Film > Show#9
Posted: 7/8/08 at 9:37am
Bad Girls was fab

In the late 80s (around the time A Nightmare On Elm Street 4 came out) they did actually talk about Freddy going on stage....then carrie came along and all talk was stopped

Amityville was another one which almost made it to the stage as a play.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Film > Show#10
Posted: 7/8/08 at 10:19am
The Nightmare before Christmas done in the same way as Movin' Out - a ballet on stage with singers and orchestra above.

I'm still upset that the Guettel-scored Princess Bride fell through (I've never seen the film, but the book is wonderful) - maybe someone else will pick it up...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 7/8/08 at 10:19 AM
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Film > Show#11
Posted: 7/8/08 at 2:20pm
Never seen either film of Amityville but have read the book. That could make a fun singing screamer maybe.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Film > Show#12
Posted: 7/8/08 at 3:42pm
i totally agree about Hocus Pocus! Would be phenomenal! I'd love to see a stage version of School of Rock might be fun, and maybe Bridget Jones the Musical could work. I'm thinking Julie Atherton as title role! hehe...I'd also love to see Down With Love on stage! Would be really good XD and maybe (just maybe, as it might ruin) Desperate Housewives? If they came up with a good enough plotline it could be quite interesting. And although I will possibly get a lot of screams for this one: Across The Universe on stage. If it were to be half as visually stunning as the movie is, it may very well be beautiful. And Brokeback Mountain, such a gorgeous film, would be oh so dramatic.
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Film > Show#13
Posted: 7/8/08 at 6:47pm
HOCUS POCUS!

YES.
YES.
YES.

it would just seem like a wannabe wicked, but it would clearly be quite awesome and worth facing the criticism.

would the fact its set at halloween harm ticket sales from december-september?