Page: 1

Hard to imagine but "Imagine This" is opening in the West End

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just read that "Imagine This" is to open in the West End in the autumn:
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/119115.html

I saw this at the Thetare Royal, Plymouth last summer and, though some of the music is stunning, as a piece of musical theatre it was way beyond awful. If the critics savaged "Gone With The Wind", this one will be pure cannon fodder for them.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 7/1/08 at 09:48 AM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That theatre is going to get a bad reputation.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Another company out of work by Christmas! Not exactly Christmas family fare is it!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thats exactly what my Fellas Family said when they watched it in Plymouth Bob
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Thats exactly what my Fellas Family said when they watched it in Plymouth Bob"

People sitting near me in the stalls were literally falling about laughing in places where it was supposed to be serious. The shame is that I think this show could actually be quite good if they brought in a writer who knows how to write - the music is seriously stunning in places. But the book lacks any subtlety of sub-text and succeeds in making a potentially very moving story come across as incredibly corny. And Adam Cooper's choreography for Roman soldiers was so farcical it had to be seen to be believed.

How this show in its current state has attracted money to get to the West End defies belief. Its investors must literally have money to burn.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 7/1/08 at 10:43 AM
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"How this show in its current state has attracted money to get to the West End defies belief. Its investors must literally have money to burn."

Shuki Levi, who wrote the music for Imagine This, is also the composer of the theme song for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and a host of big 80's kidvid hits that ensure a steady stream of royalties in addition to being one of the heads of Saban Entertainment. Chances are good that he pulled a Joe Brooks and is producing this himself.

The question is, will it be as (unintentionally) funny as In My Life?
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Power Rangers!?!?
Says it all!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Hello, New Shaftesbury Theatre.

Why on eather are they bringing this SURELY there must be better options. SURELY!!!
Christopher Gough Profile PhotoChristopher Gough Profile Photo
Christopher Gough
Stand-by
Stand-by
There is an article about this in today's London 'Evening Standard'. The general manager of the New London, Gareth Johnson is heavily quoted. He describes it as 'a work in progress' and confirms that it has been developed since its tryout. Undeniably difficult subject matter - but lets at least give them a chance to put it on before we condemn it?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree, Christopher Gough, that - if they've done substantial rewriting since Plymouth, it needs to be seen before condemning it. I've always said this could be a great show if they get it right. When I first heard the concept CD I really loved it. But the Plymouth production was so unbelievably awful, I hope they have rewritten the book from scratch. The main reason I worry about this is that it should never have gotten to the stage in Plymouth the state it was in then. It was more like a first draft than a Book that was ready to be put in front of an audience. I fear the worse but hope I am wrong - I'd love to see a great new show hitting the West End. At least I see they now have a new choreographer, so they have learned something from the Plymouth production.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bob - did you see 'Gone With The Wind'? When someone says "terrible book", that's the first show that springs to my mind and will continue to spring to my mind. I was just wondering how the two compared, bookwise.

Mind you, even if there's not much in it, at least 'Imagine This' has good music, so it's still a step up. Or perhaps it's even worse, because it could have been good if only it had tried whereas GWTW had no chance... I'unno. XD
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was being billed as a work i Progress in Plymouth

If the sohw is not ready it should not go in to London
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"Hello, New Shaftesbury Theatre."

I thought the Novello now had the curse? Then again, Into the Hoods has received a few extensions and Eurobeat may do well...
Everything in life...is only for now.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Weez, Gone With The Wind was a masterpiece of a show in comparison to Imagine This in Plymouth. Does that give you some idea? lol
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Never heard of this and having just read the above, am I to assume a musical about the Warsaw ghetto has Roman soldiers in it?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Never heard of this and having just read the above, am I to assume a musical about the Warsaw ghetto has Roman soldiers in it?"

Scripps - it's about a group of actors in the Warsaw Ghetto who put on a show about the mass suicide of the Zionist zealots at Masada, which is where the Roman soldiers come in.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I like how a "ghetto musical" in the West End is COMPLETELY different to what you'd expect of a "ghetto musical" on Broadway. ^_^