'They're Playing Our Song' - Menier 2008

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'They're Playing Our Song' - Menier 2008#1
Posted: 6/25/08 at 4:09am
I would have loved to have seen Stockard Channing playing Sonia!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 6/25/08 at 04:09 AM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw a really funny 'reject' photo of her in her Act 1 Scene 1 costume..."This is from The Cherry Orchard" . A publicity shot where she looked like she'd been hit in the face with a wet fish.

One of the Sonias from the 2nd National was Dawn Wells ( Mary-Anne from Gilligan's Island). She was desperate to do the the show and took singing lessons for 6 months leading up to the tour. Unfortunately she still sang flat. Three months into the tour she was replaced by June Gable (B'way Candide '74). It seems she, Dawn Wells sang with a look of "isn't this bliss?" on her face but the audiences complained as did the regional theatre managers - so she had to go.

I've heard that one of the best Sonias was Lorna Luft. I've always wondered why she never replaced anyone during the Broadway run.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
With the first preview well up and ready for tomorrow night its just been announced that this production will go to the recording studio on Aug 8th and 9th- Marvin Mamlisch is to put up the money and co-produce the album so that the first London production in nearly 30 years can be saved.
Amen!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 7/24/08 at 12:42 PM
UKtheatrekid
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
has this sold out yet?
x
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'They're Playing Our Song' - Menier 2008

Not sure, but as with most shows at the Menier, it wont be far off sold out already. Come press night it will be almost impossible to get seats there after, I'm sure.
The only show that lost money there recently was Maria Friedmans concert season.

Updated On: 7/24/08 at 07:04 PM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow, this is interesting. How will it compare orchestra wise? I think I'd rather have a recording with the quota of musicians than one with just a handful. Are they having the "voices"? A Sydney production of a couple of years ago replaced them with "digital images"(!) of the Sonia and Vernon.
Updated On: 7/25/08 at 02:06 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As is the norm at The Menier, no one seems to know too much about the production until it gets seen for the first time. The shows web site says 'cast includes Connie Fisher and Alistair McGowan'-I read that as there being more in the final company but who knows if it will be another 2, 4, or 6!
Until its staging is seen we can only guess how the recording will be produced.
First preview tonight July 25th Fri.

Updated On: 7/25/08 at 04:05 AM
BWF Profile PhotoBWF Profile Photo
BWF
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
What a coincidence, just today I received a copy of the OBCR. I was pleasantly surprised, and found myself liking it far more than the Craven/Conti version I had on vinyl.

I saw the London production with Martin Shaw and an understudy for Craven who was out. So pleased to see a revival and new recording.

Where in London is the Menier? I'd like to see this, but the planning...
The great thing with human brains is they're fanless, nice and quiet although I'm sure mine whistles a bit sometimes.
BWF
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Any word on how the first preview went???!
The great thing with human brains is they're fanless, nice and quiet although I'm sure mine whistles a bit sometimes.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Where in London is the Menier? I'd like to see this, but the planning..."

The Menier is on Southwark Street in SE1. The nearest Underground station is London Bridge (take the Borough High St. exit). It's just a short walk to the theatre from the tube station.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i've booked to see this one matinee in my hols -

Although living very near the chocolate factory i have never been before, i know the seating is unreserved - so does anybody know what time the house opens and how soon i should be there to get a decent seat!

cheers
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Get there to be in line around 7pm and hang around. The main doors open to the auditorium around 7.40pm. It can be a bit of a scramble but an organized scramble if you see what I mean. You can have a drink in the building from quiet early.
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
You need to be strong...don't be influenced by the little old ladies..they're the worst!
The unreseved seating does add an unnecessary tension to the evening.
The first time we went we just wandered in ten minutes before show time and ended up right at the back in the corner..my other half got the heebies and had to sit on a chair to the side of the stage (geting in Daniel's way, as he was told)
mscarlyon Profile Photomscarlyon Profile Photo
mscarlyon
Swing
Swing
WickedBoy2 where did you hear about a recording? Surely Hamlisch would wait until the show had opened and had good reviews before putting any money in to a recording.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sooooo happy they have 6 alteregos! It couldn't, shouldn't, be done with less!
-BUT boy what truly hideous artwork!
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
phew 6! Thats a relief...i agree the artwork is awful but still it could be worse....at least connie's not on it!
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
BWF
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Any news, how is this playing out?
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Independant arent too thrilled

Review
Updated On: 8/5/08 at 06:07 PM
BWF
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I was hoping for word of mouth. Critics are idiots for the most part. My first thought when I saw the photo was, bad wigs.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The so-called "critic" deprecates Hamlisch's score, calling it "forgettable". I've always loved this score, ever since first hearing it about 20 years ago. So I'm not so sure I trust his other comments about this production either. I'm still really looking forward to seeing this when I next get to London in September.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am an avid lover of this show and had the pleasure of seeing it 7 or 8 times in in its original West End run in 81/82. I also had the great pleasure of seeing this show last Friday. It is brilliant. take away the constraints of the venue and the staging is amazing. The cast are 100% spot on with Connie Fisher winning my vote hands down not being a lover of how she found fame. In this production she shows that she has a great talent that is going to be around a long time. The casting as a whole is spot on too. The set is simply fantastic and the whole show just looks ready to transfer to one of the West Ends smaller houses complete. The whole thing is played as written- meaning it sits there in the late 70s and every camp reference to the era gets either a great laugh or a round of applause.

I urge any lover of musicals to see this classic musical played for todays audiences with its heart in the right place - in the 70s! Remember one important thing- this is basically a brilliantly funny two hander by one of the funniest comedy writers of the last 50 years- Neil Simon! -with music by Marvin Hamlish!
Talking to the box office manager it is now getting nearly impossible to get seats for the run. Good news being that they usually mange to seat about 10 every night thru production seats and returns.

GO!

Updated On: 8/7/08 at 03:12 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'They're Playing Our Song' - Menier 2008

Michael Coveny in the WhatsOnStage review mentions the 'unsuccessful original London production at the Shaftesbury'
PLEASE!!!
The 20 month run of the show is the in the top 2 or 3 longest runs of any Shaftesbury production in the last 30 YEARS!!!!

Updated On: 8/11/08 at 03:43 PM
JIJane
Stand-by
Stand-by
I agree 100% agree with Wicked Boy, even though I saw the understudy Kaisa Hammerlund play Sonja last night. However, she was absolutely excellent and totally relaxed in the role.
BWF
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Well done, I'll take word of mouth over critics any day, and as for Coveney, please.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Great to read that review Wicked!

I'm going with some female friends who are all so excited they keep singing the score down the 'phone, in the restarant, wherever we are!