Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cant stand Connie Fisher myself, but sure her fans will be pleased

http://london.broadway.com/story/id/3010283
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh good, I can skip this one and not feel bad about it. It's nice to save money here and there. ^_^
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A large contributing factor of the success of the original production was the all sliding, gliding revolving sets of Douglas. W, Schmidt. Take that away and, for me, you have ' just a show".
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh God!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wonder if this is an attempt to stop Connie Fisher from being stereotyped!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Her work has so dried up that she's now working for 250 a week! That aint typecasting - thats desperation.
What on earth possessed the Menier to take her.
'They're Playing Our Song' is a great little show (not so little at the Shaftesbury!) but its all down to the casting. Its basically a two hander and it hangs on who plays Vernon and Sonia. Who's the male lead I'm wondering???
What Alterego mentions about the wonderful screens and sliding sets of the original Broadway Australian and London productions is very true. BUT lets remember that some of the Meniers greatest shows have been designed with award winning projections and they can only slide sets in its limited space!
BUT WHY CONNIE FISHER!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, if you follow the link, it tells you.

Alistair McGowan, anyone? I think I'll pass.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DUDE sorry i didn't read the link (i rarely do!)
PASS PASS PASS !!! My memories of the Shaftesbury production are too great!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Really looking forward to this. Love the show and I think it will work beautifully in the Menier space.

What totally bafles me is the apparent "Connie hate" that seems to be around. She was outstanding in The Sound Of Music, totally carrying the show. And my recollectons of her go back well beyond the "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria" show. I saw her back in 2005 at the Bridewell in Mountview's production of "Carousel" and she was (and still is) the best Julie Jordan I've ever seen. And in March 2006 I saw her performance when she won the Young Welsh Musical Theatre Singer Of the Year contest at the Swansea Grand Theatre. It was obvious that night she was destined to be a star - she owned the stage and was vocally magnificent. Amongst her programme was an electric performance of Kander and Ebb's "City Lights" (from "The Act") and she blew the roof off the house with "Back To Before" (from "Ragtime"). She is an incredible actress and a truly versatile musical theatre performer.

Also, the jibe about her being "desperate" for work is innaccurate too. She has recently finished filming a TV film which will be on the air soon.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 6/22/08 at 04:55 PM
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with bob8rich in saying
that Connie is amazing, and deserves
to do something different, as you
can tell from watching her as Maria
she can do almost anything, as she did
that so well, which is quite a difficult
role to pull off flawlessly, which i think
she entirely achieved. As for McGowan,
what a versatile performer! After seeing
him in Little Shop, I thought casting him
as the Emcee was a big mistake, however
I think he was the best thing about Cabaret,
definitely capable of playing any part in anything,
two very contrasting roles, both achieved brilliantly
I also saw him after the show, he's very friendly hehe!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And her concert tour was cancelled due to sales being that some theatres sold less than 200 seats 3 or 4 weeks after bookings opened.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And her concert tour was cancelled due to sales being that some theatres sold less than 200 seats 3 or 4 weeks after bookings opened. She sold 'The Sound Of Music' very wel until the reviews came out and then she started playing the diva and missing performances resulting in a schedule change and an alternative performer contracted for 2 performances a week.
I'm not bashing her its just she is not, and wont be, the star that the UK expected her to be!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"and then she started playing the diva and missing performances resulting in a schedule change and an alternative performer contracted for 2 performances a week."

She at no time "played the diva" - that is not in her nature. She was forced to cut back to 6 shows a week on medical advice after she became ill. In fact, it was she who insisted on doing 8 shows a week from the start - it was originally intended that she should only do 6 shows a week. I just can't understand why people seem to delight in knocking someone who is so talented and such a genuinely nice person as Connie.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WickedBoy2, yes you are right in regard to the Menier and projections and such. Could be interesting.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I will certainly be going along to see it. Knowing the love of this show we both have it will be interesting to see how London takes to its first ever revival of 'Song'!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm another who saw and loved the original London production and would agree that a lot of its charm came from the great sets and the witty ways the alteregos would appear.

I could imagine Connie in this more easily than I could imagine Alistair McGowan but good luck to them both.

It will be interesting to see if the book and score have stood the test of time.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was listening to the London recording today, one of my favorite musicals, and was thinking that yes it is a little 80s in its style of music but i certainly hope they just leave and present it as written. I wonder what number of musicians they will use? -the orchestra is pretty big on all recordings and may sound strange to anyone who knows the show if done downsized!

AngusN
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"She at no time "played the diva" - that is not in her nature. She was forced to cut back to 6 shows a week on medical advice after she became ill. In fact, it was she who insisted on doing 8 shows a week from the start"

You contradicted yourself there. Firstly you said that she wasn't a diva, thn you claimed that she insisted on doing 8 shows a week. Now you are not telling me that was because she didn't want them to have to look for, cast and pay another actress.

I've heard many reports about her behaviour and the majority are not positive. However, I can't comment because I was not actively involved in the production.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AngusN - how does insisting she did 8 shows a week because she did not want to let down the public who wanted to see her make her a diva? And why do people keep trying to slander someone they don't even know?
Updated On: 6/23/08 at 07:44 PM
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I actually think Alistair Mc Gowan is a good choice. WickedBoy2, did you know that Neil Simon actually refused to have anything to do with the original London production when Tom Conti took it upon himself to re-write some lines in the final scene? (I bet he still took his royalty though!).
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Interesting comment about Tom Conti.

Didn't the London production get a second lease of life when Martin Shaw took over because a) he could sing better and b) he was better looking?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Martin Shaw was fab and his costar was a young lady plucked from the chorus of 'The Best Little Whorehouse In texas' at Drury Lane called Gayle Ralff (not sure if i've spelt her name correctly?). It was a great production right thru its run, as I've said, its one of top favs- the London CD is great for its orchestrations. I think I saw it about 8 or 9 times.
I don't know about the Tom Conti episode- maybe when Australia awakes Alterego will enlighten us!
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I don't know about the Tom Conti episode- maybe when Australia awakes Alterego will enlighten us!"

That would be good. Do you think if we shout loudly enough we could waken him now?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SHHHHHH! its 3.50 in the morning down there! Bless him, he needs his beauty sleep!
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How rude!!!

Anyway, the story goes that Tom Conti changed a few lines in the final scene in Sonia's apartment where he mentions that he and Leon (Sonia's ex) met up to discuss Sonia. Simon wasn't at all happy and at one point threatened to have his name removed from the London show.

I find the London Cast album almost unlistenable because of Conti's singing. Wasn't there another girl who worked with Martin Shaw at some point? I have a programme here which I need to unearth - the name you give wickedboy doesn't ring any bells.