Page: 1

Blonde at Piccadily, Priscilla at the Palace, Hairspray recoups and more

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hmm im surprised at Blonde as it ruled out the Piccadilly ages ago, it will do well there but we are def gonna get a scaled down version of the show
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah definately, i didnt like the show, but it will have to be downsized for the uk going in that theatre. I think its a wise move though with regards capacity Also seeing as Priscilla is quoted as going into the Palace in March, does that mean carousel is elsewhere? seems not much time from Spam closing to Priscilla opening.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Old news, except for Hairspray's unsurprising recoup. People keep talking about Blonde being so huge, but the facts are simple: the show's not selling big in the US and can't justify a huge house in London.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tis is old news and Baz is promoting it as he usually does -'you read it here first'. I've supplied you guys with hotter news than he has sometimes when i get permission to pass it to you. The Palace was signed for 5 weeks ago for a sum of money hardly ever seen before just to secure a theatre. 'Legally Blonde' has returned many times to the Piccadilly and thats its new home. Nothing unusual about 'downsizing' a show slightly for London or visa visa to Broadway!
What's the surprise that 'Hairspray' has recouped???? Don't you remember how huge this opened? Its still the biggest ticket in London -its holding a mega advance- i get the impression some on here are wishing the show ill as do the Americans on the Broadway board with other shows!
'Carousel' want the Palace just as a ten week West End run- soon to be confirmed but still in negotiation.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 6/13/08 at 11:43 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
http://www.priscillathemusical.com/index.php?id=188

show doesnt interest me at all, but the website has London listed now
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
exodore Legaloly Blonde is making more money that most shows on Broadway

If you look at the recent Variety year sum up it was 5th (behind Jersey Boys, Wicked etc)

Dont look at its attendence compared to others shows as the Palace theatre is huge
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Blonde at Piccadily, Priscilla at the Palace, Hairspray recoups and mor

The Piccadilly only has approx 300 seats less than the Palace on Broadway!
The Piccadilly is considerd a very large West End capacity house.
You'll be surprised what big shows with even bigger sets have played the Piccadilly. Go back to the 80s to see mega musicals that played (and flopped) there!!! -the stage is huge!

'Grease' closes January 10th (a fact i couldnt share 4 weeks ago when the desicion was made!)

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 6/13/08 at 12:26 PM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank god Grease is going (i smell another bloody tour)

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WB I think you misread peoples post, nobody said Hairspray recouping was surprising, it was 'unsurprising'
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Unsurprised that Hairspray has recouped though it must be one of the few shows that have recouped at the Shaftesbury. The only other new show that know of that has recouped is Wicked back in January, if anyone know if any other show in the last two years has recouped it would be good to know.

While it is sad for a West End show to close, I also view as a positive thing as it allows the West End to refresh itself and not become stale.