Will the Tony Awards be aired in the Uk??

benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Will the Tony Awards be aired in the Uk??#1
Posted: 5/31/08 at 7:13am
?? :)
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
HAH, I wish! No, the only way I know of to watch the Tonys from this side of the Atlantic is to download TVUPlayer and stay up all night. I better pencil myself in some extra naptime that weekend...
lamigon1992
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
which channel are they shown on in America?
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excellent question. Give me a minute, and I shall look at the Tony awards website.

There we are; CBS. :P
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i watch it online here in the UK
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
bestinshow2 Profile Photobestinshow2 Profile Photo
bestinshow2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
How? Do you use the TVU Player?
"My name's Lenny. What's yours?"

luceecool
Understudy
Understudy
Grrr, Tony awards are always on the week of my exams so I can't stay up and watch re: Will the Tony Awards be aired in the Uk??
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think is the TVU player, my partner sets it up, i think it streams late though
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mmm, I got west coast CBS last year. So once the technical awards had streamed through the Tony website, I had nothing to do but nap and quaff caffeine until 4.30am. Blech. XP Couldn't even hang out here because the east coast would've spoiled all the surprises. XD
bestinshow2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oh man, so I'll have to wake up at 4:30am to watch (which I will totally do) and then go to work after...

I think I'll have to get to bed at like 7pm to prepare myself. Any advice on how to actually sleep at such an unGodly early hour?

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sadly the Tonys have never had a proper broadcast in the UK- jeez we're lucky to hear anything about the English awards!!!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i have just downloaded
TVU Player, especially tos
see the Tony Awards,
however the channel list
does not include CBS!
Not sure whether it just
isn't picking up the channel
at the moment, as the TV guide
claims to have CBS, or do I
need to download it seperately or
something? Confused! Help!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
bestinshow2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Guys, my life sort of depends on this, I hope you can help. So I've downloaded the TVU Player and found 4 American channels. However, although ABC7 News and Fox8 News seem to work fine, CBS and Fox News seem to do nothing. Could it have something to do with the different symbols in front of the channels in the guide? ABC7 and Fox8 both have a Windows Media Player symbol whearas CBS and Fox News have a green TVU symbol:

This one works:
re: Will the Tony Awards be aired in the Uk??

This one doesn't:
re: Will the Tony Awards be aired in the Uk??

abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I tried this myself..it's basically a torrent which picks up a station which has (somehow) been put onto the platform. It's then kept going by the torrent (ie the more people with the player open on any channel, the easier it is to see).
Which stations are available, why and how I don't know. (You can become an expert on China though!)
I removed it eventually. Once you've opened the progranm, the torrent stays open, even though you've closed the screen (unless anyone knows differently).
I felt it was slowing other stuff down.

PS The symbols do indicate how it will play, but I didn't have any problems because of that. If they don't play I think it's because it's either not there(!) or too few people have "joined" in.
I'm happy (and expecting!) to be corrected on this.
Updated On: 6/3/08 at 02:42 AM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I feel sorry for you guys, here in Australia we get it by satellite on cable (Monday morning 10am), of course what I really want is the pre awards concert with practically all of the musicals performing. Oh well, you can't have everything.
simon_wilkie
Understudy
Understudy
Yeah here in the UK we don't get a national broadcast - despite Sky's thousands of channels!!!

They've even stopped showing the Olivier awards on TV, so there's little or no hope of us ever seeing the Tonys!

Good old cultured Britain....we get the National Soap Awards rammed down our necks - but live theatre, pbbb!
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I don't know why they can't show it on Sky Arts or something, the time it goes out surely wouldn't be too busy. I am sure if Fox were carrying it in the US we'd have a better chance with the links to BskyB.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Speaking as an American. Fox wouldn't ever show anything like the Tonys. The Tonys are far to classy for something like fox.

CBS is an American channel that is shown nationally. But, in America because we have different time zones the show is showed live from NYC. But, the time that you would be watching it in different parts of the country would be different due to the time zones.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its cool watching it live on the web through the stream (god knows how its done) but its a bloody long night
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In Australia the cable network (Foxtel) that is showing the Tonys is owned by News Corporation as is Sky in the U.K., (and of course News Corporation is the parent company of Fox in the U.S.). Obviously whoever runs Sky in the U.K. isn't sympathetic to your cause - start campaigning! If it is the same company that runs Foxtel and Sky why don't they run it?
megs1122 Profile Photomegs1122 Profile Photo
megs1122
Stand-by
Stand-by
Hey,
Anyone sort out a stream for this year ??
Shows seen in 2011: Rock of Ages (WE, Shaftesbury Theatre - 7 Oct), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 1 Sep), Cirque du Soleil: Zarkana (Broadway, Radio City Music Hall - 26 Aug), RENT (Broadway, New World Stages - 25 Aug), Hair (Broadway, St. James Theatre - 24 Aug), The Book of Mormon (Broadway *WON LOTTO*, Eugene O'Neill Theatre - 24 Aug), Dress Circle Benefit Gala (WE, Her Majesty's Theatre - 7 Aug), Derren Brown: Svengali (WE, Shaftesbury Theatre - 6 July), Lend me a Tenor the Musical (WE, Gielgud Theatre - 3 June), Lord of the Flies (WE, Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park - 2 June), In a Forest Dark and Deep (WE, Vaudeville Theatre - 31 May), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 28 May), The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (WE, Gielgud Theatre - 2 May), Priscilla Queen of the Desert (WE, Palace Theatre - 29 Apr), Les Miserables (WE, Queens Theatre - 20 Apr), Thrill me (WE, Tristan Bates Theatre - 14 Apr), Ghost the Musical (Manchester, Opera House - 13 Apr), Million Dollar Quartere (WE, Noel Coward Theatre - 5 Apr), The Lion King (WE, Lyceum Theatre - 16 Mar), The Exonerated (WE, Charing Cross Theatre - 15 Mar), The Children's Hour (WE, Comedy Theatre - 14 Mar), Clybourne Park (WE, Wyndhams Theatre - 12 Mar), Company (WE, Southwark Playhouse - 12 Mar), The 25th annual putnam county spelling bee (WE, Donmar - 2 March), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 11 Feb), Million Dollar Quartet (WE, Noel Coward - 9 Feb), Love Story (WE, Duchess Theatre - 7 Feb), Lance Horne:First things last (WE, Garrick Theatre - 30 Jan), La Boheme (WE, Soho Theatre - 29 Jan), Legally Blonde (WE, Savoy Theatre - 10.Jan)
carriesparkle
Stand-by
Stand-by
I'll be liveblogging it later - I'll post a link!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just stream it through TVU Player
Dont come on here though if u dont wanna know who won because it wont start till 4am out time on TVU
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No complaints from me, not being able to watch the Tony's, I rather be able to watch the Olivier's first.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Anyone know the exact time for the start on TVU? I am very looking forward; neep a nap soon methinks :)
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II