Page: 1

'Marguerite' gets luke warm reception.

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Marguerite' gets luke warm reception.#1
Posted: 5/21/08 at 9:44am
Its not looking like another 'Les Mis' for this team.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They are somewhat limited in range.
sanda Profile Photosanda Profile Photo
sanda
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Marguerite' gets luke warm reception.#2
Posted: 5/21/08 at 11:46am
Les Miz did not get great reviews in UK either.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Marguerite' gets luke warm reception.#3
Posted: 5/21/08 at 11:50am
Les Miz has a story thats a little more accesible than this!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
any reviews out yet?
links?
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Has Marguerite opened yet to the press,if it has been waiting for sadm2 to do his amazing review section!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me too! lol
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Press night was over a week ago. The music and sets fared the best, the cast got mixed to positive, but the book left the critics cold.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Marguerite' gets luke warm reception.

Got to see the full production at last nights 7.30pm performance.
What a great disappointment it turned out to be. Firstly, i thought the set was brilliant, clever and different.
Having only heard parts of the score by being at the press launch, this proved to be the biggest disappointment of the evening. There were some wonderful soaring moments but nothing memorable.
The whole piece was terribly over melodramatic and that is what i heard commented on the most in the interval. I've never been a great Ruthie fan and last night, again, I wasn't inclined to sign up. She never seemed part of the company and there certainly wasn't the electricity that the two secret lovers should give us, for even a second.
James Ovenden sings wonderfully and looks even better!!! He reminded me, in voice, of Michael Ball when he performed the original 'Aspects Of Love'. I hope he gets a lot more work as he certainly was the only reason for seeing this very twee, over acted, badly written and ultimately boring show.
The theatre was roughly 60% full and talking to management there it will only just about struggle to its close at the end of November. I was told that a number of people had returned to see it 2 or 3 times but also they have a large walkout figure most performances! Fab program tho!

Wish I'd taken the tickets for 'Betwixed' now!

Updated On: 6/22/08 at 04:26 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
**Stop press**
Oops! This could be off by the last weekend in August if its bookings don't pick up in the next 10 days!!!
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Marguerite' gets luke warm reception.#10
Posted: 6/25/08 at 5:19pm
Tickets arent exactly cheap either. Maybe people dont want to shell out for something they dont know too much about. From what i've seen it certainly looks great, but Ruthie does grate on me now and again
Updated On: 6/25/08 at 05:19 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Marguerite' gets luke warm reception.#11
Posted: 6/25/08 at 5:57pm
If she grates on you don't see this cos you'll feel like a slice of Cheddar! lol

Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Marguerite' gets luke warm reception.#12
Posted: 6/25/08 at 6:35pm
Oh don't say that, I'm seeing it on Saturday and want to get in there without fear and trepidation clouding my heart. ;_;
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Marguerite' gets luke warm reception.#13
Posted: 6/27/08 at 3:57pm
I'm still optimistic, especially now I've seen that photograph of Julian Ovenden.