Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #1
Posted: 5/19/08 at 12:41pm
Announced today that Spring Awakening is opening at the Lyric Hammersmith in 23rd January 2009 prior to its official opening on 03rd Februarys.......

Any thoughts?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #2
Posted: 5/19/08 at 12:53pm
Overrated show and i dont think it will last long
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #2
Posted: 5/19/08 at 1:04pm
I have not seen this show and wanted to, when I was in New York last time.

If Drowsy did not make it with the legendary Elaine Page...I doubt Spring Awakening will.

Be interesting to see if the said show gets a West End transfer! lol.
Marcus2
Understudy
Understudy
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #3
Posted: 5/19/08 at 1:04pm
Lyric Hammersmith seems a bit out of the way doesn't it, not exactly West End.

Will be interesting to see if this show takes off as well over here as it has in America.

EDIT: I only just read they'll be hoping for a west end transfer. Just strikes me as odd, most broadway shows come straight into west end, so this might help it create some buzz!!
Updated On: 5/19/08 at 01:04 PM
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #4
Posted: 5/19/08 at 1:44pm
I can see it being just as popular over here with late teens/early twenties, in just the same way that Avenue Q succeeded.
Updated On: 5/24/08 at 01:44 PM
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #5
Posted: 5/19/08 at 2:30pm
I cant see this lasting in the West End- if it ever gets there! As SADM2 said its very overrated. Another show that the Americans have hyped to stupid levels!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #6
Posted: 5/19/08 at 3:16pm
Hmm... right theatre could do well.

I think the audience is there.... think how well shows like "Skins" have taken off...
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #7
Posted: 5/19/08 at 3:47pm
Strange that they pick the Lyric Hammersmith over a West End theatre though I guess it to test whether it has an audience in order to justify a West End run.

BTW, does anyone know what kind of West End theatre they are aiming for if they get a West End theatre?
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #8
Posted: 5/19/08 at 4:21pm
I think it was a very strange idea to choose the lyric hammersmith...they're only booked there for around a month, closing february 28th according to the official london theatre website. I think the show has some nice songs, but rather strange lyrics. I haven't seen it, so don't know whether it's as good as it's said to be, but it seems decent to me. Gonna be better than lord of the rings, the musical, without a doubt. :P
yankees1253 Profile Photoyankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #9
Posted: 5/19/08 at 4:26pm
overrated but i do enjoy it. hope they do a reality show casting for it there like they did with the som and oilver now. the lyrics are great and you can sing along. but i find that the weakiest point of the show or say the book is how they dont go in depth with thea and anna and what happens to the girls after dark i know well. not much singing for the girls which here they have very beautiful voices.
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #10
Posted: 5/19/08 at 4:39pm
They did look around theatres like Lyric/Novello/Noel Coward breifly. Sensible choices if they do transfer it
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #11
Posted: 5/19/08 at 5:04pm
Eh, sing along to songs in a show? No thanks, save that for karaoke or a sing-a-long midnight screening of a film. Hopefully a midnight screening packed to the rafters with drag queens, alcohol, and a very gay movie playing. but not in the theatre. :S

I like the show, and that's exactly why i don't think it should be done through a reality casting show. If it's good enough, it'll stand on its own merits, not on a few months of reality tv where the contestants don't even display the ability to act a song, merely the ability to sing pop songs.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #12
Posted: 5/19/08 at 6:32pm
I think that the show is one that is overrated. I have seen in twice. The second time was to get the full effect and because I was sick the first time that I saw it and didn't enjoy it. I wanted to see it when I was feeling better.

My take on the show is this. That it doesn't build up to the hype. You do have to realize that the hype is created by the teen fan base that the show has created. They go off thinking that the show is the greatest thing since sliced bread and see it 20-30 times non stop. Just like the same teens do on Broadway with Rent. I don't think it deserved all the Tonys it got. Definitely didn't deserve the Tony for best choreography. If you can jump around and jump on an off a chair then you can do the dancing that is done in the show. It still shocks me how it beat out Mary Poppins in that department which had choreography that I thought was breathtaking.

I am surprised that it isn't doing something like going to the West End right away. Correct me if I'm wrong but I am under the impression that the Hammersmith is a concert venue and not one that is used for West End musicals. If that is the case then I can't see why they would just go straight to the west end and skip the first step.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
yankees1253 Profile Photoyankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #13
Posted: 5/19/08 at 7:00pm
sorry thats what i meant not through reality casting sorry. the book needs the most work.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #14
Posted: 5/19/08 at 7:18pm
Winston, I think you're thinking of the Apollo Hammersmith which is traditionally a concert venue though has been used for musicals before like Doctor Dolittle and is hosting a 10 week season of High School Musical.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #15
Posted: 5/19/08 at 7:24pm
I'm not a teenager, but I loved this show on Broadway, and the cast recording is in frequent rotation on my iPod. No, it's not the greatest life changing thing ever, but it's an interesting take on Wedekind's source and it's got some mighty fine music.

As for the Lyric Hammersmith, I believe the idea is to use it as a test run and build hype similar to how it ran in NYC. It's not a concert venue as Winston suggests, but a proper theatre.

And Scripps, finding out your "exclusive" means reading the DVO thread. Since I don't care about what she's doing (other than when she's taking up space on BBC1 Saturdays) I don't read the thread.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #16
Posted: 5/19/08 at 7:36pm
I watched the show not to long after it opened and have it on DVD and find it very tedious.It seems to be trying so hard to be something which wants to make the statement "we are the show for those who don't normally like musicals", unfortunately Hair did that in the 60s and Rent did it in the 90s through to today and both are far superior shows which did change the face of Musical Theatre.

SA was over hyped by all who liked it and the awards comities(Best Choreography!! are you f*****g kidding me, Mary Poppins or Legally Blonde should have won that).

The story is dated and the music whilst entertaining for the 1st 30 mins becomes repetitive.
The performances vocally were good by the talented young cast but the acting left a lot to be desired.

I have a feeling this will come and go within a year!

Hell of Rent could not catch on over here then Spring Awakening doesn't stand a chance.
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #17
Posted: 5/20/08 at 5:26am
Rent Regurgitated was a dreadful idea that deserved its quick death. Spring Awakening is a great show which will reprise its New York success - the young audience is out there somewhere, if not in the West End - and the Lyric Hammersmith is a terrific place to find it. I just attended their wonderful production of Pinter's Birthday Party - sold out on a Tuesday night with many young faces in the crowd. It's the perfect venue to open this show in Europe.

For those who don't "get" Spring Awakening, you'll always have Oliver. Always.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #18
Posted: 5/20/08 at 8:25am
The Lyric Hammersmith seats just over 500.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #19
Posted: 5/20/08 at 8:29am
Mallardo i agree Rent Remixed deserve to close quick....but i was talking about the original London run of Rent
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #20
Posted: 5/20/08 at 3:00pm
Mallardo - Rent Regurgitated - brilliant.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #21
Posted: 5/20/08 at 3:02pm
Spring Awakening started off-Broadway in a house smaller than the Lyric. I say again, it's a smart move and great way to open the show here.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #22
Posted: 5/20/08 at 3:06pm
They're going for an unknown cast, I think, though. A friend of mine got continuous callbacks from November to last week. Doesn't look good for him now, though. Poor guy.

Derek Mahon

Arthur Miller
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #23
Posted: 5/20/08 at 3:22pm
"If Drowsy did not make it with the legendary Elaine Page...I doubt Spring Awakening will. "

The difference is that Drowsy was a mediocre show with a totally forgettable score while Spring Awakening is an oustanding show with a stunning score. In 2007 I saw around 100 productions of musicals all over the UK as well as in the USA and SA was in the top 3 things I saw.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Spring Awakening @ Hammersmith #24
Posted: 5/20/08 at 4:04pm
It doesn't matter how many shows you've seen, it's your opinion that rates them, not the competition.

Drowsy's score is a bit forgettable, granted. But it's a brilliant concept show and I'd sooner have it any day. (Don't tell me I'm out of touch and old-fashioned or something, I'm 16, by all means I SHOULD like SA more, but I don't).

BTW, the way that quote reads, it sounds like Elaine Paige is in Spring Awakening! I can so picture that... ew...

Derek Mahon

Arthur Miller