Page: 1

'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#1
Posted: 5/11/08 at 4:56pm
Robin Gibb, of the group The Bee Gees, has just announced that a musical based on the groups extensive catalogue is nearing the end of its development . The show will have a West End opening within the next 12 to 16 months. How thrilling!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 5/11/08 at 04:56 PM
andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#2
Posted: 5/11/08 at 5:15pm
This may well be me being very unintelligent.......but haven't we had this one already?!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#2
Posted: 5/11/08 at 5:18pm
mmmm ...Didn't 'Saturday Night Fever' cover them enough?
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#3
Posted: 5/11/08 at 5:31pm
They're a bit late jumping on the bandwagon! The last thing we need is another jokebox musical.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#4
Posted: 5/11/08 at 5:36pm
'jokebox' ! was that a typo? Haha- i don't think so!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#5
Posted: 5/11/08 at 6:57pm
I agree that a BeeGees musical isn't a good idea especially since SNF already has their most famous songs as stage numbers however to be fair to them, the Gibbs have written enough songs either for the BeeGees or other artists to warrant a stage musical unlike Take That.

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#6
Posted: 5/11/08 at 6:59pm
What other songs do they have that will make people go see a new show that they didn't get in 'SNF' ???
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#7
Posted: 5/11/08 at 7:07pm
Do you mean BeeGees songs or songs written for other artists by the Gibbs. If it is the latter, they wrote Heartbreaker for Dionne Warwick, Woman in Love for Barbra Streisand, Chain Reaction for Diana Ross, Grease for Frankie Valli and many others which I can't remember but if it is the former the ones which I think are quite famous aside from the Saturday Night Fever ones are Words, Nights on Broadway, Massachusetts, To Love Somebody, I've Gotta Get a Message to You, Too Much Heaven and You Win Again.

God, my head hurts just trying to remember those songs.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#8
Posted: 5/11/08 at 7:09pm
Well done!
-i guess there is a musical there! But please don't tell them!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#9
Posted: 5/11/08 at 8:00pm
And people wonder why I don't seem to like musicals so much any more.....

Go plays go!
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#10
Posted: 5/12/08 at 6:29am
I actually loved SNF ... shame it had a West End return of that awful tour version or it would have been perfect reality cast show for a big return. Saturday Night Fever - Saturday Night Casting...

The show, altho featured heavily Bee Gees music, was really a 70's catalogue with other numbers such as Disco Duck and Disco Inferno that the Bee Gees didn't write.
BWF Profile PhotoBWF Profile Photo
BWF
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#11
Posted: 5/12/08 at 6:56am
There is definately a market for this type of show, but it's all about formulas and getting them right.

The Bee Gees have a huge back catalogue to tap into and if they get the format right I would be very interested...
The great thing with human brains is they're fanless, nice and quiet although I'm sure mine whistles a bit sometimes.
Updated On: 5/12/08 at 06:56 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#12
Posted: 5/12/08 at 6:59am
Well, i am of an age (!) to know most of The Bee Gees song list! Its just, is most of it suitable to a West End musical?
BWF
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#13
Posted: 5/12/08 at 7:46am
"Well, i am of an age (!)"

Me too.. When they announced all those years ago, they were going to make musicals based on Abba's and Queens music, I thought, it'll never go. It did.

I've never seen Mamma Mia nor We Will Rock You or the endless succession of juke box musicals that followed, preferring to spend my money on atypical musicals. But, that's just me, my family and friends can't get enough of them. By their latent popularity I've just had to accept they are a new genre of musical.

As a lover of the modern pop song with hooks that do a perpetual round in the head (whatever happened to those), I love the close four/five part harmonies that musicals like the Jersey Boys or the Beach Boys, or even the Bee Gees showcase, and I would consider the trip up to the smoke for a look see.

Mamma Mia fits the above criteria I know, but the premise of the storyline just didn't appeal, although I look forward to the film this year!
The great thing with human brains is they're fanless, nice and quiet although I'm sure mine whistles a bit sometimes.
Updated On: 5/12/08 at 07:46 AM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#14
Posted: 5/12/08 at 7:53am
Oh great another one *falls asleep*

The songs that people remember of the Bee Gees who go and watch these types of shows are the songs from Saturday Night Fever.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
BWF
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#15
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:24am
LOL! http://www.beegeesstory.co.uk/

I can't wait for Paul McCartney - A life in Music.

I wonder how much longer I'll have to wait: - )
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#16
Posted: 5/12/08 at 3:56pm
The best thing about the Bee Gees was Kenny Everett taking the rise out of them.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Bee Gees Musical' West End Bound#17
Posted: 5/12/08 at 4:32pm
I'd give an arm and a 'leg' to see the Paul McCartney musical!
Updated On: 5/12/08 at 04:32 PM