'ZORRO' --The West End Musical sets opening date.

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'ZORRO'  --The West End Musical sets opening date.

'Zorro- The Musical' is to open at the Garrick Theatre on July 15th.
It has previews scheduled from June 30th.
It's amazing that its taken The Garrick as its a much smaller house than any it played in on its short tour. The Garrick is most certainly one of least equiped theatres for big musicals.
From what i gathered from the people on here that saw it it's a huge show!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 4/28/08 at 12:52 PM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End musical#2
Posted: 4/28/08 at 12:55pm
Minus Adam Cooper, to boot!

(So, I suppose some space has been freed up previously occupied by ego...)
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#2
Posted: 4/28/08 at 12:55pm
Ugh.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#3
Posted: 4/28/08 at 12:57pm
Really! Is he not doing it! Nowt like that on my email. Just states 'West End cast finalized on May 10th'!
I may go now- i didnt want to see this because i wasn't sure if i could watch that guy on stage for 3hrs!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 4/28/08 at 12:57 PM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#4
Posted: 4/28/08 at 12:57pm
I'm fond of a Gypsy Cream.

(And that's a biscuit, before you get any ideas!)
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#5
Posted: 4/28/08 at 1:02pm
I saw you as more of a Jammy Dodger!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#6
Posted: 4/28/08 at 1:05pm
Yuk yuk!

personally, I see myself as one of Sondheim's cookies.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#7
Posted: 4/28/08 at 1:32pm
So what's the story with Aimee Atkinson leaving the show?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#8
Posted: 4/28/08 at 1:36pm
Im not sure but if the show is being 90% recast then i can only guess that all the stories of an unhappy tour seem to be true.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#9
Posted: 4/28/08 at 1:39pm
Just how much of the stall are they going to lose to accommodate set and orchestra? An Inspector Calls barely squeezed in.

I love the Garrick and think it's in a great position, but I can't envision what I saw of the set working unless it really projects out into the audience enormously.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#10
Posted: 4/28/08 at 1:40pm
Was it that big?
!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#11
Posted: 4/28/08 at 1:48pm
I'm interested to see this now. I'm still so relieved on Matt Rawle's behalf that he's not in 'Aspects Of Love' anymore! And it even has some original songs, right? It's a NEW MUSICAL with NEW MUSIC! Support it if you can afford it, guys! After all, it can't be any worse than 'Gone With The Wind', right? XD
Updated On: 4/28/08 at 01:48 PM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#12
Posted: 4/28/08 at 1:56pm
I think this is the show that will take the 'wind' out of the 'sales' of that other show. This has so much more on offer for the general theatre going public!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#13
Posted: 4/28/08 at 2:53pm
I'm curious to see whether Zorro can work as a stage musical having not seen it on tour but personally I can't see it doing big business.

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#14
Posted: 4/28/08 at 2:55pm
Those who saw it on tour, maybe you could let us know how busy the houses were when you saw it. I know that Southampton had a quiet week

Updated On: 4/29/08 at 02:55 PM
theatreboy
Swing
Swing
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#15
Posted: 4/29/08 at 5:57am
Devonian
Do you know Adam Cooper? Do you know he has an inflated ego? I have worked with the man and he had every reason to be egotistical and was far from it! It concerns me that people make personal comments on here that are completly inaccurate and simply there for a cheap gag!

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#16
Posted: 4/29/08 at 6:10am
Well its not a 'cheap gag' that he is a pig ignorant homophobic- he likes to make this known every time he speaks to a reporter. He does this with out any feeling towards his fellow performers! Definitely an over inflated ego!
What reason does he have, in your opinion, to be so egotistical?
And why do you enjoy being around egotistical people like him?

Updated On: 4/29/08 at 06:10 AM
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#17
Posted: 4/29/08 at 6:24am
Southampton was surprisingly busy first couple nights (i saw it it was 3/4 full), then died off considerably rest of week. But it must have been one of the bigger venues on the tour anyway.

However no worse (in fact some nights better) than gary wilmot in Half a Sixpence.

theatreboy
Swing
Swing
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#18
Posted: 4/29/08 at 6:29am
Wickedboy, do you make a habit of insulting fellow posters on here. If I express my opinion of someone on here (as you so frequently do) I don't expect it to be turned into an insult as you have just done.
Do really think someone can survive in the world of dance and theatre being homophobic? Get real. I'm not sure what cheap trashy newspapers you read but I think you should probably listen to people who have first hand experience rather than gossip.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#19
Posted: 4/29/08 at 6:36am
'Zorro' has the music on its plus side which 'Gone With The Wind' sadly lost out on.
The Gypsy Kings are multi million selling recording artistes who still to this day sell out 15,000 seater arenas. With it opening on the doorstep of summer i think it will probably do very good business right thru until the winter when it may suffer a little but it has staying power because the story is still well loved especially by the younger audience that may go see the show. With the Garrick being in a dream location for passing trade and its small capacity of around 650, depending on production, 'Zorro' could be the sleeper hit this year! (The West End needs one!)
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#20
Posted: 4/29/08 at 6:40am
Sorry, but where did i insult you?
When Zorro opened on tour he appeared in 'every' national newspaper and magazines displaying his hate of fellow gay dancers.
A friend of mine worked on Guys and Dolls with him and he was constantly causing friction at the theatre -thats not gossip, as you say, but the truth!
Its an open board and we're entitled to express opinion just as you have and i certainly didnt insult you!

Updated On: 4/29/08 at 06:40 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#21
Posted: 4/29/08 at 6:41am
I simply asked you two questions????
AND then you decided to insult me as to what i read! hello!
Updated On: 4/29/08 at 06:41 AM
theatreboy
Swing
Swing
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#22
Posted: 4/29/08 at 6:47am
"And why do you enjoy being around egotistical people like him?"

Maybe you should be a little more careful how you phrase things. I am gay and had no problem at all with him, thats not gossip from a friend at the theatre that is first hand!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#23
Posted: 4/29/08 at 6:51am
Your now calling my friend a gossip or a liar!
Mr Cooper is quit happy to have it put in to print his feelings about not liking gay dancers and in every article he stated that gay dancers are nowhere near as good as straight ones and then he goes on about how he has to defend his sexuality! Where is that bile coming from?
You have to know that nothing ive written is intended to offend you personally OK.

Updated On: 4/29/08 at 06:51 AM
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'ZORRO' The West End Musical#24
Posted: 4/29/08 at 7:52am
Paranoid, defensive and meaningless is how I would sum up the last few posts. I saw nothing in Wickedboys posts that insulted anyone at all. Nothing. I don't know how he feels, why would I?, but I get very bored with people not reading things and getting all uptight about it. There was no insult meant from what I can see, and no insult to read into it.

As John Barrowman might below "tedious, tedious, tedious".