How safe are Musical sets?

CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
How safe are Musical sets?#1
Posted: 4/27/08 at 5:36am
Well as it says, I started thinking about this after the recent problem in Wicked where Kerry Ellis started to fly and she wasn't clipped it and she started screaming and shouting, but it wasnt until this point anyone realised something was wrong! So how safe are musical sets, I don't know if it still applies but I know in Les Mis there used to have to be about 3 men holding up the cart with pots on in the runaway cart scene, otherwise the whole thing would fall! and we all know about LOTR when a cast member got there leg caught as the stage was lowering! So do safety procedures need to be increased and does anyone else know of any technical problems that have been dangerous in the past!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: How safe are Musical sets?#2
Posted: 4/27/08 at 6:04am
that particular incident at wicked, 4 people hit the emergency stop button which prevents the lift/automation happening. if she feels something is wrong kerry is supposed to say something. so she was never in any dangers. with heath and safety laws nowadays every effect, set piece etc has to be carefully risk assessed.
vassey
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: How safe are Musical sets?#2
Posted: 4/27/08 at 6:52am
I think the set of the original London production of Whistle Down The Wind wasn't particularly kind to the actors, with several suffering injuries that put them out of action for weeks at a time.
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: How safe are Musical sets?#3
Posted: 4/27/08 at 7:09am
With Kerry Ellis, they may have hit the ermagency button, BUT it wan't until she started screamin and she was already going up!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
singingadream
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: How safe are Musical sets?#4
Posted: 4/27/08 at 8:40am
Whistle Down The Wind, wow that brings back memories.

I actually was one of the children in it haha back in the day.

The "Freeway" which was a 12-tonne piece of set cause a great deal of technical problems and injuries. I recall Dean Collinson dislocating his ribs and getting a hernia.
Many of the cast had bruises, scratches etc.

I actually hit my head and cut my arm open on that set whilst having to climb through the railings on it in the final scene.
cages/wings?
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: How safe are Musical sets?#5
Posted: 4/27/08 at 9:25am
The incident at Wicked really shocked me, I only learned about it yesterday. I've pratically been in that lift and I just do not understand how it started going up if Kerry wasn't safe. Can anyone shed any light on that?
legally_wicked
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: How safe are Musical sets?#6
Posted: 4/27/08 at 9:28am
At Wicked the lift barely left the ground. She didn't fly without the handles around her waist, they had actually got caught on her and were hurting her.
Updated On: 4/27/08 at 09:28 AM
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#7
Posted: 4/27/08 at 11:47am
Well I'm not sure how safe musical sets are in general but I witnessed the accident in LOTR during its previews n I get really nervous everytime I start watching the show!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#8
Posted: 4/27/08 at 1:14pm
WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND had a great set for the audience, but I always remember thinking it must have played havoc with actors' minds beind under it. I was talking to a guy from Sylvia Young who was in it and he told me that it once started lowering too early and the cast started running and crawling out as fast as possible.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: How safe are Musical sets?#9
Posted: 4/27/08 at 1:53pm
What was this piece of set in Whistle?
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#10
Posted: 4/27/08 at 2:10pm
re: How safe are Musical sets?

The entire stage floor was a big fake tarmac surface, like a motorway. Most of the time it was used just as a floor. During the train tunnel an freeway scenes, the entire floor raised half way up the proscenium, forming a flat elevated stage area above, and another flat area area below. This was used to great effect during the Finale of Act One, when the children were down below with The Man ('Jesus'), and the adults were above, searching for the Killer (also The Man).

Derek Mahon

Arthur Miller
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: How safe are Musical sets?#11
Posted: 4/27/08 at 2:20pm
Oh i see :)
Thanks
singingadream
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: How safe are Musical sets?#12
Posted: 4/27/08 at 2:56pm
I was scared the first time being underneath it but it wasnt that bad. It was actually scary being ontop of it when it went up at the end because it went up on a tilt.
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#13
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:30pm
A fabulous piece, though. Gale Edwards is a wonderful director.

Derek Mahon

Arthur Miller
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#14
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:01pm
Make the most of Theatre while you can, with the way acting is going it will not be long before actors/actresses will have to where hard hats, hi-vi vests and steel cap boots! lol
Salene Profile PhotoSalene Profile Photo
Salene
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: How safe are Musical sets?#15
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:14pm
Ruthie Henshall had an accident during the OLC Miss Saigon rehearsals. I believe she was hit or run over by something, but check The Heat Is On video for details.
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: How safe are Musical sets?#16
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:41pm
I just remembered in the US Aida tour, a tomb or something fell and landed on two cast members who had to be taken to hospital!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#17
Posted: 4/27/08 at 4:52pm
I can tell you 1st hand that the bloody original Fame Set was scary, especially the terrifying 3rd level and the bloody bridge
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#18
Posted: 4/27/08 at 5:17pm
I was at a performance of the Broadway Les Miserables revival where the gate to Valjean's house wasn't properly sitting on the track and there were two stage hands who had to run on and hold the thing up for the remander of it needing to be there. They clearly looked out of place and the actors playing Marius and Cosette where baffled and it showd on thier faces but they continued to sing anyways.

Then during the robbery scene they had to act around the gate and around the stage hands and of course the actor playing Marius didn't climb over it but instead ran of stage around it.

And the set for wicked on Broadway has the record for the most injuries during a Broadway show. It started off with Idina falling through the floor and breaking her ribs and there have been several problmes since then.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#19
Posted: 4/28/08 at 7:34am
Didn't some sort of accident happen
during the previews of the Lee Mead
production of Joseph?
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
cages/wings?
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: How safe are Musical sets?#20
Posted: 4/28/08 at 8:31am
I was at the show where the second act was done concert style because the set just broke... but there was no accident involved.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#21
Posted: 4/28/08 at 9:00am
re: How safe are Musical sets?

I was house manager at the Prince Of Wales when 'Aspects Of Love' opened in 1989.
Three months into the run, on a Saturday matinee, there was an horrendous accident on stage in front of the whole audience.
With no more than seven or eight minutes till the end of the show, the wonderful actress playing Rose went to make an exit stage left in an almost complete blackout. While almost off stage her foot got caught in the moving stage tracks and the stage attemped to swallow her!!! The screams could be heard in the foyer areas of the theatre- i can still hear then today.
The safety curtain was dropped and within minutes the ambulance service were on the scene. It took them nearly 30 mins to remove her foot from the machinery. She was sedated on the spot and and then spent 2 months in hospital.
She fully recovered but sadly never made it back to the London production. The next time she was to perform the part of Rose' in 'Aspects' was when she joined Michael Ball to open the Broadway production 9 months after the accident.
I met her in New York a few years ago when she did 'Johny Guitar' Off Broadway- she still finds it hard to talk about that Saturday matinee -19 years later!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 4/28/08 at 09:00 AM
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#22
Posted: 5/3/08 at 5:42pm
This isn't really to do with unsafe sets, more like accidents on stage,
anyway, when I was is Peter Pan in Cardiff in 2005/06 panto season
the pirates did acrobatics, on mini trampolines etc.
in their huge acrobatic section at the beginning of Act 2
one of the acrobats (or 'acromaniacs') landed awkwardly on his ankle
their routine was cut short, as he was rushed offstage, screaming.
The ankle bone was actually sticking out of his skin,
as well as it being twisted and broken. There was no safety curtain etc.
but he just lay on Wendy's bed in the wings,
until the ambulance arrived 3 hours after the accident
It turned out due to the bone sticking out of the skin for so long
he got gang-green on his ankle.
About a week later, an acromniac from the same production in Sheffield
came in to replace him. Pretty scary experience though.
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Updated On: 5/3/08 at 05:42 PM
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#23
Posted: 5/15/08 at 7:01pm
*bump esp for Winston*
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How safe are Musical sets?#24
Posted: 5/15/08 at 7:12pm
Thanks Wickedboy2,

I totally forgot about this thread when I started my other one.

it seems that that after all the stories I have heard about people getting hurt in a show. The Little Mermaid one sounds like it is one of the worst.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll