Page: 3

'OLIVER!' 2008

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#51
Posted: 5/11/08 at 6:36pm
How much longer is this thing on TV? Seems like its been on since Christmas!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#52
Posted: 5/12/08 at 4:26am
I thought Cameron was going to play a bigger part in this. Apart from 5 mins with the kids each week he's nowhere else. Why doesn't he come on and cast his own show? I think it would have been a better line up of Nancys if he was on the panel and joining in. But either he, the BBC or both don't agree. Which is a shame because it feels like there's a ruddy great hole in the middle of the show.

Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#53
Posted: 5/19/08 at 6:54am
Did anyone catch this last night?

I missed who got dis-included.
cages/wings?
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#54
Posted: 5/19/08 at 12:52pm
Niamh (sp?!). It was her and Rachel in the sing off, so pretty predictable what would happen and I think she knew herself.

I think Jessie needs to go, but I don't think she's going to end up in the bottom 2 next week.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#55
Posted: 5/19/08 at 1:00pm
Niamah got the chop last night, although I thought she sung better than her partner in the sing off, which was Rachel

Samantha
Meat Loaf (Jodie)
Jessie
Rachel

Are still in, none of them eye catchinhg.
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#56
Posted: 5/19/08 at 1:48pm
Thanks for posting.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't Jodie (who does catch my eye - even though she's a traditional Nancy) or Samantha who, like they say, does seem to have grown as the series has progressed. Jessie seems to be shrinking compared to all the kudos she built up early on in the series.
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#57
Posted: 5/20/08 at 3:40pm
Jessie's a great girl, but they've made her too self-conscious. She'll come through.

This week she'll be singing 'What I Did For Love'.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
little donkey Profile Photolittle donkey Profile Photo
little donkey
Swing
Swing
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#58
Posted: 5/22/08 at 4:32am
I felt like I was watching a different programme last week... Sam was all over the place at the start of Defying Gravity - Her pitching wasn't good - and Denise actually congratulated Jodie on her breathing which to me seemed to be a problem... and Niamh, while I agree that she's not Nancy, probably acted her way through her song to a better level than all of the others. I'm just not understanding the panel's comments at the minute.
FrEp
Swing
Swing
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#59
Posted: 5/25/08 at 3:58pm
Delighted for Jessie, but devastated for Rachel. Ridiculous that she should have to leave after turning in great performance after great performance!

Also delighted that Barrowman clearly knows nothing! Vile man.
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#60
Posted: 5/25/08 at 4:47pm
"When I go I'm going like Rachel"

And she did. I can understand them saying she didn't connect to the material in previous weeks but she turned in great performances this week and did connect to Cabaret. I could see her in the current West End production. I also thought she was the best in the brief excerpts we saw of the four of them acting in the Victorian house.

I did think Jessie sang What I Did For Love well.

I haven't understood the judges comments throughout. They seem either to be facile, ambiguous or contradictory. I thought Cameron talked far more sense in terms of giving constructive criticism than any of the other judges have done throughout the series. And thank goodness it is out of ALW's hands next week. Having said that, Cameron doesn't seem to want Jodie in Oliver but I think the voting British public will disagree with him.

As for the Olivers, I thought Jordan was by far the best of them and they didn't even choose him for the final six.

And as for the final next week, I'm at the theatre so I'll miss it!

Updated On: 5/25/08 at 04:47 PM
legally_wicked
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#61
Posted: 5/25/08 at 8:14pm
Jessie and Samantha are no way ready for a west end stage. I hope Jodie wins it!
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#62
Posted: 5/26/08 at 8:50am
As much as I hate Sam,
I completely understand why
ALW kept her in over Rahcel.
Rachel was TOO good IMHO,
anyone understand what i'm
trying to get across here? lol
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#63
Posted: 5/26/08 at 8:51am
If Sam or Jessie win
over Jodie, I will
SERIOUSLY scream!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#64
Posted: 5/26/08 at 12:21pm
Im going to have to disagree with you, lol! I think that the sing-off this week had the wrong two in it, something that I think Lloyd-Webber aluded to before they sang. I think the two most popular with the judges were not the two most popular with the public.
I think Rachel was the better of the four but im sure it wont be long before she finds herself in something else.
Its difficult to judge this year, Any Dream Will Do had a cut and dried winner from about week 2, whereas this year anyone could have it.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#65
Posted: 5/27/08 at 4:45am
Thank God for Cameron! At last someone else with intelligence and a respectable opinion on the lineup.

Rachael should never have gone. Not after that show stopping Cabaret. The show was over before it began on Saturday.

Then the "Good" but "Wrong" Lord ditches her in favour of a girl who can't act and shows pretty much no emotion when she sings. I wouldn't pay to watch any of the ones that are left. Jodie over acts and gurns and looks rather scary when she sings, Sam is wooden and stone cold dead behind the eyes, and Jessie is erratic and stiff as a board when she moves.

Though its only a matter of weeks before Rachael goes into Chicago or Cabaret in town I think - I'd pay good money to see what she did on Saturday night.

All IMHO!

mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#66
Posted: 5/27/08 at 10:04am
There have been some travesties during the series but last weekend took the biscuit!

Rachel has been an excellent performer and the way she performed "The Way we Were" and "I will always love you" in earlier weeks were spinetingling showstoppers. This week her performance from Cabaret provoked the only standing ovation so far in the series, while she was judged the best actress in the acting scene.

Now it's not the judges' fault that she came in the bottom two of voting but I fail to see ALW's logic in dumping Rachel. On Saturday he rated her singing the best, Barry H had rated her acting the best. Where's the logic then of dumping her?

It is true that Samantha has developed over the weeks but I find her a bit plastic. She started off the series by trying to exploit her sex appeal with Barry H drooling publicly over those legs and I've felt that she has continued to be a bit blatant in exploiting that rather than her singing and acting.

AS others have said Jessie has been erratic. She has a great voice but she is admittedly a tomboy with a lack of grace. She was the obvious weakest performer this week, but even if she'd been in the bottom two of voting, there's no certaintity that ALW would have given her the deserved boot.

It's strange but the person who deserves the role is the oldest and most matronly of the performers, Jodie. Will she get it? Unfortunately not if it's down to the oh so discerning British public.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#67
Posted: 5/27/08 at 12:02pm
When Andrew chose Rachael to go, if I were Cameron I'd have been shouting "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" in slow motion!

You're right about the standing-o as well. And a genuine one for sheer tallent - not the sort they orchestrate on X-Factor for effect. A genuine, topnotch, grade A, standing-o. And deserved too.

jackson992
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'OLIVER!' 2008#68
Posted: 5/31/08 at 1:14am
So glad Rachel is gone. She was way too cocky for my liking and her version of the final song was unacceptable.