Page: 1

West End Grosses

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Grosses#1
Posted: 3/30/08 at 3:24pm
I look at American Theatre (or should that be Theater) websites regularly and always find Broadway Grosses interesting as I learn a lot about theatre from this. I just like to ask if they do anything like this in London and if they don't as I suspect why not?
JIJane
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: West End Grosses#2
Posted: 3/30/08 at 3:36pm
No they don't publically display West End grosses - I wish they did.
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: West End Grosses#2
Posted: 3/30/08 at 3:39pm
I read the other day somewhere the average for Wicked is 550,000 ish a week to help give you an idea. Cant remember which article it was in.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Grosses#3
Posted: 3/30/08 at 4:38pm
Ye - Wicked is the only one I have seen post figures and that is only when it has broken box office records.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Grosses#4
Posted: 4/1/08 at 6:16am
Just had a look at the latest Broadway grosses, been a good week out there, shame we cannot see how London Theatre is doing by having the same facilty. Does anyone know why we dont have this in London West End? It is good way of seing how shows are doing!
JIJane
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: West End Grosses#5
Posted: 4/1/08 at 8:15am
It's against the law in the UK. re: West End Grosses
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Grosses#6
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:04am
I've answered this question on here a few times. Around 20 years ago, or maybe more, a new newspaper was published to rival 'The Stage' called 'Showbiz'. It wasn't terribly good and the editing was dreadful but for the first time ever its owners managed to get West End producers to agree to have grosses etc published on a weekly basis. The charts ran for about 5 or months during which time many arguments took place between rival producers who each accused each other of posting false takings! It has never been mentioned again in producing circles and never will be from listening to the producers i work with. 'Showbiz' itself vanished from the shelves within 12 months!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Grosses#7
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:06am
The Search Button is a marvellous invention.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Grosses#8
Posted: 4/1/08 at 6:46pm
Thanks for that Wicked, being a veteran on here, I guess this would crop up now and again from 'young pretenders' like me. Thanks for the reply I guess it will never happen getting West End Grosses, be cool if it did though.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Grosses#9
Posted: 4/1/08 at 7:49pm
Your very very welcome. It would make for interesting reading for about 5 mins i guess. A friend of mine commented saying 'how would you like your salary posted for all and everyone to see!!!' Good point!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End Grosses#10
Posted: 4/2/08 at 12:56pm
I find it fascinating to look at the percentage of people going to the show, as it gives you an idea when the show is going to close and the time of year the shows get busy, also when they have a change of name, who might be a bigger celebrity how this affects the box office. However I would not like to see my salary on the internet.