Page: 1

Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08

BillFinn Profile PhotoBillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08#1
Posted: 3/29/08 at 6:34pm
I feel like this version of the revue worked much better than the New York version. Songs were added and songs were cut. Most notably, the "Republican" segments were cut and this beautiful song, "Love Me For What I Am" was added. I guess since it's a revue, I'll go by performers.

Louise Dearman: Enchanting. Purely enchanting. Her beauty was only a hallmark to her voice. Elegance and pure. Her chemistry and relationship was with Simon Thomas the entire night. While Simon Thomas sang "I'd Rather be Sailing," she serendaded us with a beautiful rendition of "Set Your Sails." After Simon sobbed (literally onto his jacket) "The Earth Stopped Turning," she stopped the stage with "Anytime." Louise commands a presence as Trina. Her isolation from the crowd during the "Falsettoland" acts was chilling. She sang a duet with Frances Ruffelle of "I Have Found" and what the audience found was two starlets. Seriously. Amazing.

Simon Thomas: He reminds me a lot of Oliver Tompsett. He didn't have a lot of stage time, in my opinion. But as I said, when he did, he shined. He sobbed his heart out in "The Earth Stopped Turning." Played the Lover in the "Falsettoland" acts. His voice was velvet. Pure velvet. Just wish he had more material.

Frances Ruffelle: What more can I say? That raspy voice, adjacent to Dearman's elegance. It was sensual, provocative, and right. She sang "Love Me For What I Am" and had the audience in tears. Frances was truly a performer. She had my friend's head in her bosom's for one of the songs (I can't remember which!-- she came into the audience). The best part of the show was when she came out and said "I'm fat" or something like that.

Ian Watkins: What a dreamboat! He shined a flashlight in my eye and called me dumb. Haha. So attractive. And that voice. That smile. He sang a song about fishing with his Dad and "What More Can I Say?" Ian was the comedic part of the night and he had us laughing. It was all laughs whenever he came on.

Gareth Snook: What a charmer! He was a great Martin. The difference between Gareth and the rest of the cast was calculation though. You can tell this in older performers who've trained classically. He planned everything? If that makes sense. I take it from his classical training and all his stage credits, but sometimes I think he should have just had more fun in his roles. He did get some of the more depressing songs though.

Sally Ann Tripplett -- ABSENT!

Jessie Weisser? u/s -- OH MY GOD! The next Bette Midler. Not only can this girl belt her face off, but she can act. Watch out Mary Testa. Hold your horses Maria Friedman. This young woman, fresh out of college, has got a career ahead of her. "Only One" got a round of applause. "Change" got hoots and hollers. When they announced Sally was out, we all groaned, but when Jamie opened her mouth. We thanked Jesus that night. I still am amazed how talented this young woman is. STICK HER IN WICKED is what I say. Haha.
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
Updated On: 3/30/08 at 06:34 PM
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08#2
Posted: 3/29/08 at 11:13pm
cant agree with you more but I wasn't impressed with Gareth though. I wanna see Jessie!!! But Sally Ann's great in the show! It's a great show!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08#2
Posted: 3/30/08 at 12:17am
I wasn't impressed either, but I didn't want to say it outloud. Haha. But he's done so many amazing things! I thought it was an off night or something? That voice. It wasn't right for Bill Finn. It was great, don't get me wrong. But it wasn't right for the night. You know? Those voices were pure and Gareth's was very technical and trained.

You need to see Jessie! SERIOUSLY. I was sooooooo disappointed when they announced Sally Ann was out. I almost walked out. That's how bad it got. But when Jessie sang "Change" and "Fall Down," my mouth dropped. That girl. She's got a future. She'll be in Wicked. I guarantee it.
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
Updated On: 3/30/08 at 12:17 AM
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08#3
Posted: 3/30/08 at 11:51am
I'm going back Friday. I hope Jessie is in (Sorry Sally Ann). I want to meet her after the show. :)

Maybe Ian too. Not gonna lie. Haha.
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08#4
Posted: 3/30/08 at 12:18pm
Ian's really cute in the Spelling Bee number! I wanted to wait for the cast after the show but the guy at the door kept starin at me, so I left.
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
michael2
Understudy
Understudy
re: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08#5
Posted: 3/30/08 at 12:37pm
I saw the show on Friday evening and thought it was excellent great performances although Sally Ann was in I wish she had been performing Frances Ruffelle's songs I'm sorry but Frances sounded like Donald Duck when she sung, the gorgeous Blond girl behind me also agreed with me on that one. That is my only complaint on the show can't wait for the Off Broadway cd though sounds fab.
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08#6
Posted: 3/30/08 at 1:47pm
I can't wait for the CD either. She didn't sound like Donald Duck. She sounded like Daphne Rubin-Vega. I agree with you though. I wish Jessie was singing her songs, and vice versa.

I wish the CD included "Love Me For What I Am." re: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08#7
Posted: 3/30/08 at 11:02pm
Sorry but I really disliked the understudy for Sally Anne's performance. It left me cold. Everything was too obvious and played too hard for laughs. "Only One" is a song that usually connects with me on quite an emotional level. She was directed or chose an entirely different interpretation that I thought screamed desperate for a laugh.

Later as the kid in Falsettos it was too forced and boring. Everytime she performed I found myself predicting exactly what she was going to do next. That made her songs rather dull.

Louise Dearman was wonderful tho. And I enjoyed Frances singing "Stupid Things I Won't Do" although I still prefer the composer's version and would kill to have heard Stritch perform it.

Simon Thomas looked far too pretty but I quickly ignored thatre: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08 His standout was "When the Earth Stopped Turning". I find this song especially moving and personal. His performance did not disappoint and left me sobbing.

Oh and H! Well I was pleasantly surprised. "What More Can I Say?" was lovely. Shame about the naffly predictable blocking for the key change but never mind. Overall I found the evening to suffer from shoddy direction and a lack of coherence.

And I didn't mind Gareth Snook in the slightest. He is an old pro and it showed with his songs all landing rather well.
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08#8
Posted: 3/30/08 at 11:15pm
poor direction, I'll give you that. But when you ask a 20-year old something to sing an older women's track, you're going to get forced jokes and strange dynamics. "Change" and "Fall Down" didn't suffer, but I can see where you're coming from with "Only One." She did get carried away with the pianist. They should have had Ian Watkins play Jason.
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
Updated On: 3/30/08 at 11:15 PM
Cojiro
Swing
Swing
re: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08#9
Posted: 3/31/08 at 5:54pm
Got tickets to this for Thursday, can't wait! Spelling Bee is the only show by Finn I know, so it's gonna be good to hear some other stuff by him.
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Make Me A Song Review 3.29.08#10
Posted: 4/4/08 at 5:49pm
I saw Sally Ann Tripplett. OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

So I went again tonight and it was glorious as always. Sally Ann Tripplett completed the show. Jessie MAY (Not Messier, sorry!) was fabulous. But it was a completely different show with her.

Sally Ann belted "Change" and "All Fall Down" and I was taken away. My breath. My soul. My friend and I found Jesus. It was just AMAZING.

I sat in a different seats, and funny enough, Ian Watkins POINTED THE FLASHLIGHT at me again!!!! On the word "Dumb". :)

I bought Louise Dearman's CD and a program. I asked if they sold posters. They said no. But then I go back to my seats and the bodyguard found me. He gave me a poster (for free????). I thought that was so thoughtful and generous of them!!

Anyways, I stayed for a bit after the show and the cast went to the pub. Didn't see Ian. Talked to Jessie and told her how amazing she is. She was so embarassed and shy. I couldn't believe it, but yeah.

Frances Rueffles shoved her breasts in my face during "Things I Won't Do." I can go home to the States and brag now! Yay! I've seen her clevage!

Go see it with Sally Ann Tripplett. She's great.
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
Updated On: 4/4/08 at 05:49 PM