Page: 1

Chitty- after Cardiff?

theatrejoe Profile Phototheatrejoe Profile Photo
theatrejoe
Understudy
Understudy
Chitty- after Cardiff?#1
Posted: 3/29/08 at 11:25am
Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone knows whats happening with 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' after its run at the Cardiff millenium stadium? I've seen the show and I thought that it was fantastic, is this the end of the tour? Thanks.
candydog2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Chitty- after Cardiff?#2
Posted: 3/29/08 at 11:52am
I wouldn't complain if it was sent to Ireland.......

..... I'm just not sure if we have any theatres big enough to take full West End shows.
theatrejoe
Understudy
Understudy
re: Chitty- after Cardiff?#2
Posted: 3/29/08 at 12:57pm
Oh yes of course, I was forgetting it hasn't toured to Ireland yet. Perhaps it will. If it does, it's well worth seeing, it is fabulous!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Chitty- after Cardiff?#3
Posted: 3/29/08 at 2:04pm
I don't know what happens to it after Cardiff but it's currently on up here at the Bradford Alhambra where word of mouth is mixed. People are happy to see their soap stars on stage but disappointed the car doesn't fly about much.

Does Cardiff still do the Festival of Muscial Theatre that happenned a couple of times a few years ago or has that faded out?
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Chitty- after Cardiff?#4
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:00am
I saw Chitty a couple of times at the Palladium and thought it was agreat show.

I understand that Chitty will be going over to Toronto for a 10 day stint over Christmas.

Not sure what it is doing afterwards, but hope you guys will be able to enjoy the show in Ireland, I would think that the Dublin Abbey Theatre and Cork Opera House should be able to hold this show.
theatrejoe
Understudy
Understudy
re: Chitty- after Cardiff?#5
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:40am
Ye, looks like Chitty is in Toronto. http://www.torontoplus.ca/home/chitty_chitty_bang_bang/1086216

I do hope it returns to the UK.
candydog2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Chitty- after Cardiff?#6
Posted: 3/30/08 at 11:43am
Would the theatres you named be big enough phantom?

The Abbey theatre never takes West End shows. Smaller west end shows go to the Gaiety in Dublin and the Opera house in Cork - in fact that's what Blood Brothers is doing at the moment.

Large touring shows tend to go to the Point, which is unfortunately closed throughout most of 2008 due to building work.

Perhaps it will return after Toronto, it's been around the World before and come back.

My biggest disappointment at the moment is still the fact that Mary Poppins seems to be showing no signs of making a stop in Ireland - although the point in dublin is really the only theatre big enough.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Chitty- after Cardiff?#7
Posted: 3/30/08 at 2:21pm
could it fit in the GOH in Belfast? I've only been there briefly, so don't really remember the stage size
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Chitty- after Cardiff?#8
Posted: 3/30/08 at 3:38pm
Dont know if the shows will fit in, did not know the Abbey is too small to host a show the size of Chitty or Mary Pops and woundered what happened to the Point, but if they are doing the place up looks like they want to put shows in there, does Ireland normally get over looked for tours then?
candydog2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Chitty- after Cardiff?#9
Posted: 3/30/08 at 4:20pm
Well I've only ever seen the abbey from the outside, but it doesn't look like a big theatre - the peacock theatre is housed in the same building too, so I would imagine space is limited.

From pictures and seating plans I've seen it's only a small theatre though - it really only hosts Irish plays, seeing as it's the national theatre of Ireland.

And yes, the Point is having quite a lot of work done to it. It was never great for theatrical productions, it's more of a concert venue, it does have the facilities for larger shows though.

I hope it's more theatre-suitable after it's redone though.

As for Ireland getting overlooked? Definitely! We get a lot of touring kids shows from the UK actually, like Thomas the Tank, the Tweenies, Lazytown etc, but West End tours are few and far between. Just go to thisistheatre.com and look at the list of UK tours. Very few are making stops in Ireland.

I think it could be due to the fact that Ireland has a very limited number of venues for large shows, but it could just be that transporting a show to another country is just too much hassle - of course, as we know chitty has been around the world, we know that excuse doesn't stand to reason.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Chitty- after Cardiff?#10
Posted: 3/30/08 at 5:41pm

I would imagine big shows such as Mary Pops, Chitty, We will Rock You, Les Mis and Phantom etc would be able to sit down in Dublin, Belfast and Cork for 3 - 4 weeks in each city. Smaller touring shows such as Aspects, Cats, Joseph and Beauty and the Beast etc would be able to play the mentioned citys for at least a week. Would a producer make enough money for shows this long, big shows normally sit down for 1-3 months at each venue, would this be possible in Ireland though? would enough people w attend to give a long run? How many days would a big production need to play to make back, its moving costs?

I have a friend and a colleague who lives just outside and recommended that he and his family go and see the excellent Blood Brothers.

Did Mama Mia play Belfast recently?
candydog2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Chitty- after Cardiff?#11
Posted: 3/30/08 at 8:09pm
You're right Phantom, Mamma Mia did play Belfast and last year it sat down in Dublin at The Point for a good 2-3 months. Although that may have been the European tour, not the West End one.

I don't think that there are any venues in Cork large enough for the big musicals - the Opera House isn't really that big. I think you may be overrestimating the size of the theatres in Ireland - even the Gaeity theatre in Dublin played Blood Brothers last month with some set pieces removed due to the limited size of the stage. I think the Cork Opera House is roughly the same size.

The original UK tour of Beauty and the Beast played at the Point in 2002 I think, but the newer (cheaper and smaller) one has played Cork Opera House and is due to play at the Olympia theatre in Dublin in June. The Olympia is generally the venue for touring plays and kids shows.

How big is the Chitty Tour - I mean I can't see it coming to Ireland, but if it does it could go to one other touring venue we have that we often overlook - the INEC in Killarney. I could actually imagine it going there, I've never been in it, so I don't know how it is for size though.

If not, I can see it going to the Point if it does make an Irish stop.