Page: 1

Theatre Royal Drury Lane - Grand Circle

benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Theatre Royal Drury Lane - Grand Circle#1
Posted: 3/28/08 at 8:56am
Hey guys, just booked for LOTR as just wondered what the view was like from row H in the Grand Circle??

Thanks x
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Also.. what sort of merchandise do they sell at the theatre??
Is there a companion book and if so how much is it?
How much is the brochure/programme??
Sorry to be a pain!
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think my brother sat in the circle when he saw it for the first time, and I think he said he had great seats, the show is so visual anyway you can't miss anything. The merch is ok, they sell a one ring, a board game, the usual (mugs, magnets, keyrings, tshirts (really nice) caps, a hoodie as well i think) and a really cool goblety thing which says 'may the hair on your toes never fall off' hehe. The borchure and programme are seperate, not quite sure how much they are though, when I went we didn't bother buying either cos we had the one from when my brother saw it the1st time (we're cheapskates haha) They also sell a really great companian book, and two really nice posters, one with the Hobbits and the other has Galadriel and Boromir. Some of teh merch might have changed though, cause I saw it when LMK was Galadriel, and since then they've had a complete logo revamp and stuff,
enjoy the show
x
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Almost forgot sorry, companian is 20 i think
haha x
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oh thanks so much!! :)
That really helps :)
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Like (as???) for most of the West End shows, it might be 3 for the program and 7 for the souvenir brochure. But i might be wrong !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think it's a bit more, Nosferatu. I can't quite remember what I paid for mine.

The Companion Book is a small little unasuming thing, but great. It has commentary from all of the leading Creatives of the show, and great photos mostly from the Toronto Production, which was very similar. This allows you to see how the show has changed and developed since then.

And luke-h, remember, there are three circles at Drury Lane. Which circle exactly was your brother in? Dress Circle is brilliant. I saw Anything Goes a few years ago there from the Grand Circle, and it was like being in a helicopter somewhere over Greenwich trying to see from there.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
From bottom up:

Stalls
Grand Circle (Dress Circle)
Upper Circle
Balcony

More info here
Theatremonkey

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The brocure for the show is the best value in the West End. Full of brilliant pics and info.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oops. I thought it was Stalls, Dress, Grand, Balcony. My mistake!

I haven't been there since December. And I was in the stalls then. Didn't take much notice of the circles.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jez! The Upper Circle at The Lane is HORENDOUS! i saw 'Sweeney Todd' there 3 times in 1980, once sitting in the Upper- its like the top of Blackpool Tower. The last time i sat up there was for a Royal Variety Performance in 1982. The only reason i went was to see a certain Ms Ethel Merman doing her bit for royalty. It turned out to be her last public singing performance and any one who has seen the show will know that she could still belt it out as good as ever. It was rumored at the time that she wanted to do her numbers without mics but due to the sound problems of TV she was miced(?) against her will --she didn't need it i tell ya! We left just after her set.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Try the balcony, first time I saw Lord Of Rings I was front row and will be row B for closing night! It is high, and rather scary when you look over the edge, doesnt help I'm abit scared of hieghts but...
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry guys! In my post above i do indeed mean the Balcony NOT the Upper Circle! 'The Gods' as they are fondly know as to some older members!
These days, thankfully i only sit in the stalls or Dress
Updated On: 4/3/08 at 01:35 PM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In the words of Dame Edna (when she was performing HOUSEWIFE SUPERSTAR! there) "Hold on with one hand and clap with the other otherwise the theatre will be filled with plummeting paupers".
Updated On: 4/4/08 at 07:38 PM
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sat up in the Gods for Miss Saigon - might as well have been sitting at home in Bristol! Tiny little ants running around on the stage waaaaaay down below and the sound was extremely muddy. Never again!

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As Lily Savage says- 'you on benifit's up there- hold on -clap, but clap with one hand'