Hairspray is BEST MUSICAL!!!!

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hairspray is BEST MUSICAL!!!!#1
Posted: 3/9/08 at 5:30pm
Michael, Leeanne and Tracy have nabbed their nominated awards so far......

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 05:30 PM
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#2
Posted: 3/9/08 at 5:47pm
I just saw it yesterday!!! So happy to hear about the acting awards, they all deserve it :) Here's hoping it wins Best Musical!
Everything in life...is only for now.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#2
Posted: 3/9/08 at 5:47pm
And Betty Ball!

Congratulations!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#3
Posted: 3/9/08 at 5:57pm
So the Best Musical Revival has gone to The Magic Flute! Where was this first done apart from its Young Vic season recently?
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#4
Posted: 3/9/08 at 5:59pm
HAIRSPRAY BEST MUSICAL YEA YEA CAST RECORDING YOU IDIOTS!!!!!
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#5
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:03pm
I second the cast recording comment, Wicked Boy!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO MICHAEL, LEANNE, TRACY AND THE REST OF THE CAST!!!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#6
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:03pm
OK OK!!! now iive gotten off the sofa and calmed down a bit! (a la Tom cruise on Oprah) LOL
Now...... can we please have that cast recording please!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#7
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:06pm
Congrats to Mr Webber, a well deserved special award.
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#8
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:09pm
It would be criminal now if they don't do a cast recording re: Hairspray is on a roll....

Best acting team and Best Musical at the Oliviers!

Congratulations to Michael, Leanne, Tracie and the Creative Team ( Marc Shaiman et al)!!

exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#9
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:38pm
On the one hand, I'm very happy for Hairspray and all involved.

On the other, I'm sad that Parade got shut out of the awards this year. JRB & Co. did an amazing job of reworking their material for the new production and it deserves plenty of credit.

On the third hand, guess who was already planning to queue for day seats tomorrow with international company in town...yup, the alarm's set an extra hour early now *grumble*
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#10
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:39pm
I find this news quite staggering. "Hairspray" is a show with lots of energy, strong performances, great dancing and an average score. "Parade" is a masterpiece of musical theatre writing, brilliantly staged by Rob Ashford and with the best two central performances (Bertie Carvel and Lara Pulver) of not only this year but of many a year. It's like giving an award for best drama to Neighbours ahead of a play by Shakespeare.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#11
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:40pm
The Nationals production of 'War Horse' is a well deserved winner of Best Set Design. Its a stunningly staged production that i thought may also have got Best Play.
lakezurich Profile Photolakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#12
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:49pm
Congrats to the west end mounting of Hairspray!
Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#13
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:51pm
i would not call Hairsprays score average at all

Its a great pop score
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#14
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:52pm
bob8rich: but that happens at the Oliviers (Forbidden Planet winning over Miss Saigon). It happens at the Tonys as well (La Cage over Sunday)

Having given the gong to Caroline or Change last year they weren't going to give it to Parade this year, especially as it isn't often that a comparitively lightweight musical gets such across-the-board good reviews.

I saw both Parade and Hairspray and would have been hard-pressed to choose between them. Parade ticked all the boxes as a fine piece of work and was emotionally devastating, but the feelgood factor I got from Hairspray was also important. Not everyone who goes to the theatre is an intellectual and sometimes feelings over-ride the most robust intellect.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#15
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:53pm
"The Nationals production of 'War Horse' is a well deserved winner of Best Set Design. Its a stunningly staged production that i thought may also have got Best Play."

I'm iffy on the set design award - LotR was far more jaw dropping, though some could argue it's simply a case of throwing money at the stage. I guess the issue arises of how one considers the puppetry - is it part of the sets, costumes, etc.

As far as Best Play goes, I don't think anybody seriously thought that Complicite were going to lose after steamrolling their way through the season. Regardless of the award, expect War Horse to be revised further before the National bring it back next Christmas (hence why it's not touring/transferring outright).
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#16
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:54pm
There's an advert on Channel 4 at the moment, i think where Richard O'Brien argues that there is as much, if not more, skill in a comedy performance as a dramatic one.

The same applies to musical comedy and drama, I think: Hairspray and Parade set out with different intentions. Both fulfil their aims admirably, but Parade is no worthier for its seriousness. It can be argued that Hairspray more fully achieves its purpose than Parade. Perhaps that is why it has won the award.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#17
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:54pm
Of all the recent awards, it was the Oliviers that i thought 'Parade' would walk with!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#18
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:55pm
i would not call Hairsprays score average at all

Its a great pop score

Precisely - a "pop" score and far too one dimensional IMO to be classed as a great musical theatre score. I know, as always, it's a matter of taste. But the Hairspray score bored me senseless when I saw the show - the only thing that kept me awake was the amazing ensemble cast. Parade, on the other hand, gripped me from start to finish.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#19
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:57pm
Since when has a pop score had to be mediocre???

If you listen to hairsprays score in depth it's superbly written, as are the very clever lyrics
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#20
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:58pm
I thought Parade would walk it tonight as well, but Hairspray is still a worthy winner. Both shows couldnt be so different, but Hairspray is probably one of the best feel good musicals we've had in the west end for a long time.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#21
Posted: 3/9/08 at 7:01pm
the feelgood factor I got from Hairspray was also important. Not everyone who goes to the theatre is an intellectual and sometimes feelings over-ride the most robust intellect.

I'm not sure it's a matter of "intellect" over "feel good". I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. For example, I hated "Caroline Or Change" and "Hairspray" did not make me "feel good" - in fact it bored me silly. And I accept that some people would have preferred Hairpsray to Parade. I'm just stating my personal preference. Unfortunately I did not get a vote on the Olivier Panel LOL.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#22
Posted: 3/9/08 at 7:04pm
It does all come down to taste as you say and a persons certain type of humor etc

I guess all the US awards, UK awards, box office hit of the film etc though mean most people see a lot to love Hairspray
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#23
Posted: 3/9/08 at 7:16pm
And an individual's taste can change over time. The person I was ten years ago would have been spitting blood that Hairspray could win over Parade.

Paul makes a good point when he says that "Hairspray is probably one of the best feel good musicals we've had in the west end for a long time". There has been so much light-weight second-rate stuff around (and I include Spamalot in that) that I was forgetting what it was like to have fun in the theatre from a solid, good, original book musical.
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray is on a roll....#24
Posted: 3/9/08 at 7:37pm
Also, one could put forward the argument of whether hairspray is only made to seem feel good because of the songs.

look at the content of hairspray. all said and done it still addresses serious issues - race, equality, segregation, obesity, self esteem but to name a few. all of which are still very relevant today. it just chooses a different take on them

give tim burton a reign on hairspray and see what could happen to it! (ok so thats never going to happen.... but imagine what it could be like if it did)

and im not knocking it, just merely putting forward a random thought i've just had inbetween reading this and getting into bed haha. its probably of no relevance but thought id post it anyway haha.

i love hairspray. and parade. but i do think hairspray does deserve to win imo.
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn