Page: 1

'Sweeney Todd'

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Sweeney Todd'#1
Posted: 12/30/07 at 3:01pm
The highlight of my 5 day trip to Chicago and New York 2 weeks ago was the invitation we had to a screening of 'Tim Burtons Sweeney Todd'. My heart leaped at the invitation then sank as i was told it was at 8.45AM!
Firstly, i'll say that i wouldnt hesitate to wake up again 7AM to see this great take on an old Broadway favourite. Secondly and most importantly THIS is not Sweeney Todd The Musical put on the big screen. What has been written about the movie is pretty much how i saw it. The two leads are not the greatest of singers with Johnny Depp doing a very commendable job but Helena Bonham Carter was the weakest link in the movie. She sang it thru whispers and it became very hard to understand a lot of what she said or sang. I would love to see a much harder take on Mrs Lovett but there you go, we arnt looking at the Sweeney we know and love here.
The design is stunning, from the moment the titles start with the machines and blood stained screen the images held up till the very end. The supporting cast of Laura Michell Kelly, Alan Rickman etc were perfect. The final 20 mins are some of the most gruesome ive seen on a screen away from movies like Hostel etc and i was really squirming in my seat. On the whole i think its a very successful representation of the piece.
Knowing the show so well from my first time seeing it at Drury Lane the thing i missed was the wonderful chorus numbers and 'A Little Priest' was cut way too much. On the whole i loved it and was thrilled to see it just days before it opened in the States- i think its the end of january here?
Johanathan Tunick has commented that he never dreamed that one day he would hear such a complete orchestration of 'Sweeney'- its there now and its stunning.
We will always have the Angela Lansbury show on DVD to look back on.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 12/30/07 at 03:01 PM
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: 'Sweeney Todd'#2
Posted: 12/30/07 at 6:50pm
I'm looking forward the French release on 23rd January.
Too bad "The Ballad of ST" has been expelled from the film adaptation (at least the singing part of it since the melody is part of the opening credits).

By the way, I love your quote about Dame Maggie Smith !
I was looking for a good description of British humour but the best definition comes from examples ! Thx
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sweeney Todd'#2
Posted: 12/30/07 at 9:28pm
To me 'The Ballad Of...' is one of the most exciting openings to a show- it blew my mind everytime in the theatre live. You will SO miss when the movie starts! You'll love the movie but its little things like that and 'with or without his privates' not there when you wait for them- im sure that line alone would have won an audiences laugher!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'